Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    +1

08 Ultra 250X on Guam rebuild

I hope this is a good place to start my rebuild thread. I wanted to document the process and get your input along the way. Starting off with a low hour 08 250X I got for a good price here on Guam. Iíll be posting pictures and info as the build progresses. Please keep in mind that skis and parts easily cost 2x what they cost stateside and shipping takes a few weeks.

+1
    Just pulled the intercooler, part of the exhaust, and most hoses from the rear. Spent most of the time working out rusty bolts and cleaning up a bunch of sludge in the hull. Supercharger is seized up so I’ll be pulling it next to inspect the rotors and see where the problem lies. Also have a broken spark plug in cylinder 4 to remove. On a positive note, the oil is super clean and their are no signs so far of any internal engine damage. Just went to the dealership and pulled the history. Ski has 64 hrs and was last being used in 2016 that I know of. The hull is in really good shape and is cleaning up very well
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	615A1447-C4BD-4F7D-8E80-5C5EC5466F43.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	449704   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	63914F2C-8DF5-47C6-AC65-F323F475CF47.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	449703  

+1
    Going to be replacing all the bolts o remove except the valve cover ones with ss. I canít for the life of me understand what Kawi was thinking using plain stew bolts in a highly corrosive environment

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    The kawi stuff is all stainless already fyi, its just not the highest grade. Heat plus salt plus stainless stee still = rust. You really have to rinse the hull and use fluid film on them and really make sure the hull is empty and dry before storing.

Sean

+1
    The bolts are stainless?? If they are, the grade should be called 1 stain resistant lol. I agree though, people always put away their skis hot and wet which leads to a mess. I can not remove the lower exhaust manifold bolts to get to thee supercharger due to rust. Tensioner bolts are also not coming off. I plan on pulling the engine and doing a thorough cleaning of everything. On a positive note, I was able to swap the batery from my rxp into it and all the electronics and starter work great. Engine turned over very smoothly with absolutely no sticking. I did add some rislone to the cylinders just for protection while I work on it to keep everything lined up. My supercharger is seized and I’m contemplating a new one unless someone has a good used unit they would be willing to part with for a reasonable price. I didn’t notice any black Teflon particles in the intercooler though so it may just be seized at the pulley or salt on the rotors. What does everyone use to clean the rotors on their chargers?

+1
    All the intake and exhaust parts were full of ashy soot Iím guessing mostly from salt and not drying out the ski after rides.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    The kawi stuff is all stainless already fyi, its just not the highest grade. Heat plus salt plus stainless stee still = rust. You really have to rinse the hull and use fluid film on them and really make sure the hull is empty and dry before storing.

Sean
    I’ve been using salt away and flushing out the inside of the hull and cleaning the engine every ride on my rxp. Once I drain the hull, I let it sit all opened up until everything is dry then I spray a cloth with some xps lube and wipe everything down. Works great for me. Fogging oil is for some reason not found on island, but we do have access to the spray cans of sea foam that can be used for fogging. No fluid film here either. Maybe I should start importing it and selling it lol

+1
    Worked on the ski a bit more today and was able to extract the rusted bolts from the exhaust manifold and remove it!!! Pulled the cover off the supercharger to I spent it and the rotors are in perfect shape with no peeling bubbling scoring or any marks. Worked on the spark plug that had broken off and extracted it as well. Looks like thorough cleaning and maintenance along with new bearings, belt, gaskets and as bolts will finish up this ski. Once it’s done I’ll polish the hull and run it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FEED3882-6826-41DF-A427-9D0FF34E6C48.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	449858  

+1
    Just ordered a bunch of 316 stainless bolts for all the top end, supercharger and intercooler. I went to the oem parts diagrams and ordered bolts based on the specs and quantities. Managed to get all the bolts I needed from boltdepot.com for under $150 shipped and that included a handful of extras for good measure. Reverse cable, gaskets, bearings and a whole bunch of other goodies are coming from kawiperformance. Eventually I’ll install the riva stage 1 along with a jettrim seat cover and mats but top priority is to get it cleaned and repaired back to good reining condition. I hate to have to put everything back only to remove it later for mods but by the same token I don’t want to mod it if I need to make more repairs.

+1
    Supercharger removed and once I removed the pulley and hub it freed up. It was the pulley bearing that seized. I will be opening it up and replacing the bearings.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information