+1

Got To Ride A 2016 Yamaha FX Cruiser SVHO

A friend of mine picked up a 2016 Yamaha FX Cruiser SVHO recently that only had about 10 hours on it. I rode it about 30 minutes last weekend.

It really seemed to accelerate and handle a lot like my 310 X. Top speed that I got out of it was 68-69, although he claimed that he had reached 78 (I told him that he had the display set to RPM, not MPH).

The front portion of the hull seemed exceptionally large compared to the 310. Buttons and gauges everywhere, which I found to be confusing. It seemed quieter than the 310, but I haven't ridden that since last fall.

I tried the brake/reverse. It was OK, but I really don't like the reverse where the 'Ski goes the opposite direction of the handlebars. Works like a SeaDoo--retarded. In my book, if you go forward with the bars turned, it should re-trace it's path in reverse if you don't turn the bars.

I hope to get my 'Skis down to the lake in the next couple of weeks and race him...

Seems like a pretty nice machine. At least it wasn't black!!! Guess we'll have to see which fails first, my pistons or his hull!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    ... 2016 Yamaha FX Cruiser SVHO ... I rode it about 30 minutes last weekend.

I tried the brake/reverse. It was OK, but I really don't like the reverse where the 'Ski goes the opposite direction of the handlebars. Works like a SeaDoo ...

In my book
    , if you go forward with the bars turned, it should re-trace it's path in reverse if you don't turn the bars. ...
    It did take me a few minutes to get used to the modern steering when I switched to Yamaha with RiDE.

Think of it this way, you turn the handlebars to the right and the bow will swing to the right, regardless of whether you are in Forward or Reverse mode. And it does the same when in Neutral.

Makes the steering response consistent, which is important when you use the left control to switch between forward, reverse, and neutral. It would be weird if the steering response changed between forward and neutral modes, or between neutral and reverse mode.

Turn handlebars to the right, nose goes right. Simple to remember.

Works out quite nicely when maneuvering around a dock or other tight space. Especially if you need to turn tighter. Just tap neutral and the ski slows down but keeps turning in the desired direction. Squeeze reverse a little if you need to back away yet keep turning in the desired direction. Get the hull lined up exactly where you need it to be pointed and then tap throttle to glide forward onto the trailer or into the docking spot.

If Kawasaki ever/finally releases their own electronic reverse/neutral system I suspect it will work in a similar manner.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    . . . . In my book, if you go forward with the bars turned, it should re-trace it's path in reverse if you don't turn the bars.
    Yeah, cars, bikes, quads, etc... that concept on a waverunner sure took a while to adapt too, but the human brain is quite amazing. The way I was able to finally adapt, was to ignore complex trajectories, and just "give-in" to the basic concept that the craft's 'nose' will forever point towards the handlebar's direction regardless of fwd/rvrs.
    And low-and-behold, like anything else that's thrown at the brain - it adapts! Now, it's 2nd-nature, and I can still drive my quad in reverse.
    Glad you had a positive ride on the FX ... life's too-short to be a brand-loyalist (unless you own shares in stock).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Glad you had a positive ride on the FX ... life's too-short to be a brand-loyalist (unless you own shares in stock).
    Oh, I've owned 3 Waverunners and still have my Yamaha boat! I find them to generally be ridiculously hard to work on, hence I own mostly Kawasaki.

The best 'Ski is the one that runs!

That does sound disconcerting at first blush. I rarely even use the reverse lever on my old FX.

Thread Information