Question Replacement Battery for 2003 Virage

Are the Duralast Gold's from Autozone really Dekas? I'm looking to pay for quality but Autozone's warranty for non-automotive batteries is only 90 days, and they're notorious for mistreating batteries and letting them die on the shelf (not the manufacturers fault).

I have two 2003 Virage's with these batteries, and the company offers an 18 month replacement guarantee. Unfortunately one just shit the bed after the warranty ended, hence looking for a better quality replacement (10V cranking).

Unfortunately the Deka store locator on the site isn't working for me so I can't find one locally. If ya'll really swear by them I might just bite the bullet and pick up an ETX-16 from their Amazon page for $96+tax.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalise View Post
    Are the Duralast Gold's from Autozone really Dekas? ...
    What do the terminal posts look like?

Do they look like the terminals on the genuine Deka ETX16?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What do the terminal posts look like?

Do they look like the terminals on the genuine Deka ETX16?
    Looks like the same terminals, same PN.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalise View Post
    So, made by East-Penn, same production line as the Deka branded version.

Battery age sitting on the shelf is tricky. Apparently Deka supplies coded stickers that the store applies when they put them on the shelf. So you can look for a recent date code, but you might be guessing as to how long that battery sat in warehouses.

+1
    I haven't actually purchased an AGM new. I have three that came in used watercraft I purchased with "Road Runner" (Mill's Fleet-Farm) and Duracell labels. The case and posts are identical to the Deka---but I can't say for sure if East Penn is building the battery or not. Fleet-farm will change battery vendors from time to time, so you never know what manufacturer is building them. Anyway, the three I have have been going strong.

I've been utilizing the Yuasa lead acid battery (wet) and have been purchasing them dry. I still have one new Yuasa on the shelf. I'd buy the acid in bulk from O'Reilly autoparts and fill them myself prior to an installation. In this manner, I could shop for a good price, as shipping a wet battery is difficult and expensive, and shelf life wasn't an issue. I've had excellent longevity with Yuasa, typically 5 seasons. I do keep them in a heated garage and charge them at least twice over the winter as well as just before putting them in storage.

After I use the last Yuasa, I'll see how the AGM have been doing and where the price point is.

If you decide to go with the Deka, you'll want the ETX-16L---not the ETX-16. The difference being the post polarity location is opposite.

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    So, made by East-Penn, same production line as the Deka branded version.

Battery age sitting on the shelf is tricky. Apparently Deka supplies coded stickers that the store applies when they put them on the shelf. So you can look for a recent date code, but you might be guessing as to how long that battery sat in warehouses.
    Thanks for the info.

Frankly I don't trust my local Autozone employees to do anything Would barely save anything after the core charge anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    I haven't actually purchased an AGM new. I have three that came in used watercraft I purchased with "Road Runner" (Mill's Fleet-Farm) and Duracell labels. The case and posts are identical to the Deka---but I can't say for sure if East Penn is building the battery or not. Fleet-farm will change battery vendors from time to time, so you never know what manufacturer is building them. Anyway, the three I have have been going strong.

I've been utilizing the Yuasa lead acid battery (wet) and have been purchasing them dry. I still have one new Yuasa on the shelf. I'd buy the acid in bulk from O'Reilly autoparts and fill them myself prior to an installation. In this manner, I could shop for a good price, as shipping a wet battery is difficult and expensive, and shelf life wasn't an issue. I've had excellent longevity with Yuasa, typically 5 seasons. I do keep them in a heated garage and charge them at least twice over the winter as well as just before putting them in storage.

After I use the last Yuasa, I'll see how the AGM have been doing and where the price point is.

If you decide to go with the Deka, you'll want the ETX-16L---not the ETX-16. The difference being the post polarity location is opposite.
    Good call on the polarity, don't think the positive could stretch to the back post.

I've had terrible luck with batteries so I'm a bit adverse to off-label batteries, especially with short warranty periods, even if I know they've come off the same line for some reason. Bad taste I guess.

+1
    Yes the Autozone batteries are Deka. Oreilly"s also sells a rebrabded Deka.
    If you are ordering online, Amazon showed a Deka branded battery,cost about the same as Autozone.
    Lowes showed a rebranded Deka,like 8-10 days delivery.

Honestly, I would prefer to see the date code sticker before purchase.
    And make them test the battery,

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    why settle for a low end warranty? 90 days is silly

this one has a year and free shipping for a c-note

fyi-I sell the Deka 16 for $105

this one is $99 and is an east penn OEM

https://www.batterymart.com/p-Big-Cr...6-Battery.html

Thread Information