Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Stumped With 785 Bog - Please Help!

97 785 Stock except vforce reeds and oil injection blockoff, fresh non ethanol 91 octane 40:1 mix with klotz, new fuel lines, carbs clean (apart several times to be sure) , stock jets and settings

it runs great out of water but in water it bogs and wonít get on plane, let it idle a bit and hit it jumps up on plane and screams, let off and hit it again bogs and canít keep on plane, choke it it kills it but once clears out jumps up on plane

im stumped and canít decide if itís rich or lean or if something else is going on, Iíve tried messing with high low screws and it only gets worse

ive had well over 100 Polaris watercrafts including multiple 785s but this has me stumped at the moment, any ideas?

sounds like may a diaphram problem or maybe a needle valve sticking. try and pull the air cleaner and look into the carbs and hit the throttle and see if you are getting the same amount of fuel through all the carbs. That will tell you which one is starving.

I'D RATHER SWEAT THAN SHIVER hyoctane23's Avatar
    +1
    You don't have the ability to take a video, do you?

+1
    I did try running with seat and air cleaner off all carbs look the same. I also held wide open bogging until it quit and checked plugs and they all looked dry with good burn and the same.

+1
    I could probably take a video but it wouldnít be that easy and send to a cell phone. My description is pretty accurate though. Wonít take any throttle and has major bog if you hold throttle it will quit. Let it idle 30 seconds it will take right off but let off and hit it again wonít take throttle and bogs. Let idle will go again. Choke during bog will kill it but if you keep it running you have to let it idle shorter time after choke. If you shut it off or quits in water often have to hold it wide open to get it firing like itís flooded but Iím not sure it is, starting hot with choke makes it worse.

+1
    It’s almost like plugged fuel tank vent or exhaust or vapor locking but I don’t get it because it’s taking throttle getting up on plane not wide open.

+1
    Have you checked the exhaust valves to be sure they're moving when you rev the throttle?

+1
    They are on trailer and once it revs up but not when it’s bogging. I thought that was probably a result of the bog not causing it?

+1
    Their position is RPM dependent but if they're stuck open, you'll get a bog out of the hole. What full speed RPM are you getting now?

+1
    They are definitely all opening and closing. I’m not sure on peak rpm because I’m testing in a small pond so not holding wide open that long but it’s running good once it overcomes the bog

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information