+1

Msx 140 head orings test

Wondering how to do a air leak test
    Want to check that head orings r sealed
    So I don’t get water intrusion
    Any help would be great

+1
    Remove carbs/throttlebodies and using some rubber (like an old inner tube)... make some block-off plates to seal the intake manifolds.
    Remove the exhaust big pipe and using some more rubber... make another block-off plate to seal the exhaust manifold.
    Ensure your spark plugs are in.
    Now use a port/barb on the case... not sure on MSX140... but the carby models all have a port where the fuel pump pressure pulse hose connects. Could use spark plug hole... or make a fitting on one of your block-off plates.
    Rig up a way to pump air into (or suck out) along with a gauge... from that port.
    Pump air up to ~12psi (or suck it out to ~-10inHg). A properly sealed engine (including the head o-rings)... should hold the pressure/vac for 20mins.

Cheers!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Remove carbs/throttlebodies and using some rubber (like an old inner tube)... make some block-off plates to seal the intake manifolds.
    Remove the exhaust big pipe and using some more rubber... make another block-off plate to seal the exhaust manifold.
    Ensure your spark plugs are in.
    Now use a port/barb on the case... not sure on MSX140... but the carby models all have a port where the fuel pump pressure pulse hose connects. Could use spark plug hole... or make a fitting on one of your block-off plates.
    Rig up a way to pump air into (or suck out) along with a gauge... from that port.
    Pump air up to ~12psi (or suck it out to ~-10inHg). A properly sealed engine (including the head o-rings)... should hold the pressure/vac for 20mins.

Cheers!
    Thanks.

I found that 1-1/2" test plugs worked on theintake manifold and 2" worked on my exhaust. I have posted pics in the open discussion forum 2 days ago. Don't think my method will test head orings though. I'm pretty sure you would have to pull the exhaust manifold for that.

A compression test should tell you if your head o rings are leaking though I would think, although I have had cars that tested ok with a compression test and a cylinder leakdown test but did in fact have seeping headgaskets.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeaks View Post
    I found that 1-1/2" test plugs worked on theintake manifold and 2" worked on my exhaust. I have posted pics in the open discussion forum 2 days ago. Don't think my method will test head orings though. I'm pretty sure you would have to pull the exhaust manifold for that.
    The engine leak test pressurizes (or vacs) the entire engine... i.e. the air space (from intake to exhaust manifold). This includes the combustion chamber. So a leaking headgasket/O-ring would be detected in the test. This is why you have to put your spark plugs in to do the test.

Good tip on the test plugs!

Cheers!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeaks View Post

A compression test should tell you if your head o rings are leaking though I would think, although I have had cars that tested ok with a compression test and a cylinder leakdown test but did in fact have seeping headgaskets.
    Test plugs what are they and where do I get them

+1
    Any hardware store will have them. Plugs to seal plumbing for pressure testing (and whatnot).
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Gripper-1-1-2-in-x-1-1-2-in-x-1-1-2-in-x-1-1-2-in-dia-PVC-Schedule-40-Test-Plug-Fitting/3824165

Cheers!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Any hardware store will have them. Plugs to seal plumbing for pressure testing (and whatnot).
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oatey-Gripper-1-1-2-in-x-1-1-2-in-x-1-1-2-in-x-1-1-2-in-dia-PVC-Schedule-40-Test-Plug-Fitting/3824165

Cheers!
    Ic perfect will check that out
    Thanks

+1

Msx 140 head orings test

Quote Originally Posted by Msxslayer View Post
    Ic perfect will check that out
    Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8472.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	449605
    If I put suction on that freshwater water gate valve and plug the pipe off
    Wouldn’t that test the head orings
    Plugs out
    And plug the three hoses(manifold,bottom of pipe and half way 3/4” hose

+1
    See the thing is , how do you know for sure u have no water intrusion in the head

Thread Information