Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Wedge Plate feedback

After running the 2 degree wedge plate on my FX Cruiser for a month, I am taking it off next weekend. Overall, it will get the nose up out of the water fast but it waste too much fuel in the chop I run in. The motor revs up like driving a high stall automatic converter.

Gas mileage is significantly reduced romping around.

It may have been worth some top end speed, but not worth it for the majority of the riding I do. Based on the data I logged, I can run just as fast without it once I get some more tuning time.

Robert

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rcrisafulli View Post
    After running the 2 degree wedge plate on my FX Cruiser for a month ... it will get the nose up out of the water fast but ... The motor revs up like driving a high stall automatic converter.

Gas mileage is significantly reduced romping around.

It may have been worth some top end speed, but not worth it for the majority of the riding I do. Based on the data I logged, I can run just as fast without it once I get some more tuning time.

Robert
    Is it possible you have induced an air leak into the jet pump when you installed the pump wedge?

It sounds like the impeller is drawing in air bubbles or perhaps is cavitating for some reason.

I feel the same way...it gets the nose up but in heavy chop the ski comes un hook too much...great for smooth water speed runs but not much help in the heavy chop where I run most of the time but in lite chop it is a smoother ride. it'll come back out soon I would like to get one more run with it. i'll keep it for river runs now and then.
    Last edited by yellow jacket; 06-11-2019 at 11:15 AM.

+1

Wedge Plate feedback

I have a 2 degree wedge and the very elusive 1 degree wedge and still find that the 5 degree nozzle is faster on smooth water with the FX. I’ve tried both on many different FX skis with different mods as low as 72mph all the way up to 88mph, no wedge was always faster on smooth water.

+1
    I doubt I have an air leak as I went 95 mph with the wedge 4 weeks ago. The ski is still just as fast, but the gas usage is not worth it. I agree it is a better smooth water addition.

I am glad to hear other peoples experiences also.

Robert

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nashvegas View Post
    I have a 2 degree wedge and the very elusive 1 degree wedge and still find that the 5 degree nozzle is faster on smooth water with the FX. I’ve tried both on many different FX skis with different mods as low as 72mph all the way up to 88mph, no wedge was always faster on smooth water.
    I have been running with the 2 degree wedge for all of my recent speed runs, but have been wanting to run without it, wondering if there would be a difference. Your last comment has me wanting to take it off now.

+1
    With the nose riding higher there will be a greater opportunity for the pump to get air in it on less than smooth water, thus higher rpm and less efficiency during rougher water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LT1GMC View Post
    With the nose riding higher there will be a greater opportunity for the pump to get air in it on less than smooth water, thus higher rpm and less efficiency during rougher water.
    I agree. When I went 95 it was smooth as glass, very cool water and air temp. "Unicorn" conditions. I am in chop all the time with the exception of my test strip which can be glass smooth if there is no wind.

Robert

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nashvegas View Post
    So that brings up the question; would a 3 degree degree nozzle on the FX be faster than the 5 degree? I think some have found it to be.

I think would be, depending on the ride plate. Here's what I have theorized, and somewhat proven, over the years. Getting the nose up reduces drag and results in higher speed - to a point. The limit is usually when the ski starts to porpoise up and down at top speed. But you can also just run it so nose up that is stalls the speed. A nozzle "forces" the hull to ride with the rear downward. and nose upward. Where as a properly machined ride plate "allows" the hull to ride with the rear downward and the nose upward. My testing has always shown you can get a little more speed by "allowing" rather than "forcing" the dead rise you need for the least amount of drag. The reason being, if the nozzle has to changed the direction of the force vector (I always wanted to use that word), it's robbing thrust from the horizontal direction of travel. It's better to use 100% of the thrust to move the ski horizontally instead of using some of it to change the angle "IF" you can get the hull and ride plate to ride at the perfect angle to minimize drag and maximize speed.

So in theory, if the hull and ride plate were set up perfect for top speed, you would want a 0 degree nozzle (which could be done by using a 3 degree and turning the wedge plates upside down), but I'm not suggesting that.....at this time. But I will be doing some testing with ride plate design and nozzle angle combos soon.

With a Lucky 13 cone, a 5 degree nozzle with a 1 or 2 degree wedge plate turned upside down might be a great combination. That would be the same as s 3 degree nozzle but space the nozzle out from the L13 a little to increase rpm. I think I'll test that set up next.

Update: No, it did not work well to turn a wedge plate upside down. First, the bolt holes don't line up so much cutting of the wedge is required. Second, when I did get it installed it took away almost 2 mph. So it's not a good recommendation. I will stick with the 5 degree factory nozzle and no wedge plate with the L13 cone.
    Last edited by Super Jim; 06-19-2019 at 11:23 AM.

+1
    Went out this morning without the wedge. Weather was extremely ideal for a top speed run--flat water, almost no humidity, low dew point and 57 degrees in June! I was also running a new summer tune which is just a little bit leaner than my previous tune. Best top speed 89.3 @9100, AFR at 12.0. I really thought that with the weather as cool as it was, I would surpass 90, and maybe if the wedge would have been in, I would have. However, I went through a couple of boat wakes this morning and the ski definitely handles better without the wedge, so I am going to leave it out. The good thing is that the ski will run 88 all day long on a heat soaked motor, so I am done testing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information