Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

1994 Polaris sl 650 still no spark

I have replaced the stator and the coils/plug wires and itís still not firing up I believe itís getting spark as I got shocked when using the spark plug tester but didnít see a light, engine turns over and cranks fine just isnít firing my dad said he went through the carbs before giving it to me

+1
    old Polaris ughh u kinda of only have the cdi box left try find a cheap used one

Yeah I was gifted it and it had great compression so I figure itís worth putting a little money into it then flip it for a newer one

Anything I should be testing otherwise? The stator ohms out good, and the coils and wires I put in were confirmed good

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

1. Is the lanyard installed?

2. If lanyard IS installed, try disconnecting the kill switch from the circuit board.

3. Proper spark plugs installed? BPR8ES gapped at .028"

4. How were the coils and wires confirmed good? Just ohm tested, or actually installed on another boat that ran? If not ran, try removing the spark plug boots and cut the wire back about 1/4" to expose fresh wire. Then rescrew (yes, they thread on) the spark plug boots.

5. Did you ohm test the spark plug boots?

6. What were the numbers on the new stator installed? 65W94 or something like that?

7. Did you change the flywheel?

8. Verify all your wires inside the elec box are connected to the proper terminals.

9. Make sure your ground wire jumping between both halves of the elec box is installed.

10. If all else fails, try replacing the CDI with a KNOWN good one. (no way to bench test a CDI)

Please post up a few clear close up pics of your elec box for us to see the wiring.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4173.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	449581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4174.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	449582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4175.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	449583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4177.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	82.0 KB 
ID:	449584

+1
    You need a new circuit board. It's completely rusted out. No need to continue diagnosing until you replace that IMO.

8. +1 by:

Replacing the circuit board today with a non rusted one. After changing out the coil packs when I turned it over it actually did shock me but I only got shocked the one time and havenít since

+1
    I don't like seeing butt splice connectors normally. (Seems to be a source for bad connections) Really don't like seeing butt splice connector to different colored wires. What's going on with the wires in that thing? I wonder if it had the wiring harness melt down from shorting the elec box to the battery?

Make sure you have a very clean and tight ground wire connection to the engine mounting plate for the battery cable.

Make sure the lanyard is installed when cranking

Anything butt connected was because the wire had corrosion and was to short after cutting back. The story on the ski is that it was rebuilt in 15 and ran fine my dad has it out one day and noticed there was three inches of water in the hull. After taking on the water it lost spark so he assumed it was the stator and changed with a cheap Chinese one and still had no luck. So I changed it to an sbt stator that was confirmed good. Still no spark. So then I went to cleaning up the box and replacing any connectors that where corroded. Still no spark. So then I changed the coil packs/plug wires/boots with confirmed working ones. This is when I checked spark again and got shocked once or twice but wasnít able to make it do it again. Now Iíve changed out the circuit board as directed to eliminate that aspect and when I used a spark tester it would light up once I let off the starter but after a few more tries I couldnít get it to do it again the ski has a brand new fully charged battery that is the manufacturer recommended size I have tried disconnecting the kill switch along with different kill switch harness the only things I feel like that are left is the cdi and ignition timing

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information