Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    I need someone to help point me in the right direction

    Im looking to buy a pwc, ive ridden a number of them over the years, but looking at the large range of models on offer, its so hard to choose. I race motorcycles on roadracing tracks, so naturally i look towards the race specific skis but i also dont want to buy a model so purpose built, that i wont be able to use it for a variety of things. The other day i tried my hand on a stand up ski but it seems like ill never get to ride one of those more than a few minutes at a time because damn that thing is tough to ride.

    Can someone give me some sport “touring” ski’s to look at? I’d imagine most are still really quick but have the ability to fish from, or go long distances comfortably. I dont know id do much towing but just incase id like a 3 seater. Im in my 30’s, single male, and i live on the louisiana gulf coast close to Gulfport Mississippi. All my motorcycles are yamaha but id be willing to buy a different brand to get the right ski for me.

    Some side questions i have rattling in my mind: whats the durability of modern ski’s ? Should i buy new or used for a first ski? Whats a lot of hours (i know that depends on alot of factors but in general)? Average Maintenance schedule?(modern Japanese motorcycles require very little engine maintenance)

    i know thats a lot of random questions, so thanks in advance


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    43,368
    +1
    2,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgiglio3087 View Post
    ... sport “touring” ski’s to look at?

    I’d imagine most are still really quick but have the ability to fish from, or go long distances comfortably.

    I dont know id do much towing but just incase id like a 3 seater.
    Im in my 30’s, single male, and i live on the louisiana gulf coast close to Gulfport Mississippi.

    All my motorcycles are yamaha but id be willing to buy a different brand to get the right ski for me.

    Some side questions i have rattling in my mind:
    whats the durability of modern ski’s ?
    Should i buy new or used for a first ski?
    Whats a lot of hours (i know that depends on alot of factors but in general)?
    Average Maintenance schedule? ...
    Welcome.

    Given the factors above, I would suggest the 2019 Yamaha FX SVHO.

    Supercharged SVHO engine will provide the acceleration thrill.
    Even stock the engine is quite good. Aftermarket ECU tune and impeller can provide significant additional gains, yet still be very reliable. Circa 300hp

    The new-for-2019 FX hull is receiving very positive feedback*
    Excellent ride in non-smooth water, good rider ergonomics and overall a modern reliable watercraft.

    The Yamaha 1.8 liter engine reliably has been very good, especially 2016 and newer models.
    Fuel economy will of course vary with speed and rider aggression but overall the SVHO FX a fairly fuel efficient machine (for the class) combined with the large 18.5 gallon fuel capacity tank, makes for long cruise range.

    The 2019 FX hull rides ‘smaller’ that the measured dimensions might suggest. Yet it does not beat the rider up on choppy water.

    The slightly smaller GP1800 (I have 2017 GP1800, current 140 hours with tune and other mild mods) has the same SVHO engine but overall less weight, shorter and narrower hull. GP1800 is more of a ‘sports’ model than FX, but can be configured (longer aftermarket ride plate, scoop intake grate) to be fairly competent in rough water, but not quite as good as the longer new FX hull.


  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome.

    Given the factors above, I would suggest the 2019 Yamaha FX SVHO.

    Supercharged SVHO engine will provide the acceleration thrill.
    Even stock the engine is quite good. Aftermarket ECU tune and impeller can provide significant additional gains, yet still be very reliable. Circa 300hp

    The new-for-2019 FX hull is receiving very positive feedback*
    Excellent ride in non-smooth water, good rider ergonomics and overall a modern reliable watercraft.

    The Yamaha 1.8 liter engine reliably has been very good, especially 2016 and newer models.
    Fuel economy will of course vary with speed and rider aggression but overall the SVHO FX a fairly fuel efficient machine (for the class) combined with the large 18.5 gallon fuel capacity tank, makes for long cruise range.

    The 2019 FX hull rides ‘smaller’ that the measured dimensions might suggest. Yet it does not beat the rider up on choppy water.

    The slightly smaller GP1800 (I have 2017 GP1800, current 140 hours with tune and other mild mods) has the same SVHO engine but overall less weight, shorter and narrower hull. GP1800 is more of a ‘sports’ model than FX, but can be configured (longer aftermarket ride plate, scoop intake grate) to be fairly competent in rough water, but not quite as good as the longer new FX hull.

    Okay thank you! So would you recommend buying new vs used? I would buy new but i know they depreciate so quickly, and there is usually great deals to be found when you buy used 2-3 years old(at least its that way with motorcycles)...

  4. #4
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    43,368
    +1
    2,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgiglio3087 View Post
    Okay thank you! So would you recommend buying new vs used?

    I would buy new but i know they depreciate so quickly, and there is usually great deals to be found when you buy used 2-3 years old (at least its that way with motorcycles)...
    Setting aside purchase cost differences for a moment, the 2019 FX is a brand new hull design. 2014-2018 FX hulls are prior generation.

    I have not yet ridden the new 2019 FX hull but reports so far indicate it is significantly better that the previous FX hull. The prior FX hull was considered quite good in rough water, which suggests the new 2019 FX hull must be very good.

    Watercraft do depreciate, of course. I will suggest that buying the right hull and model (for you) is more important than the cost differences between new and lightly used recent year but older FX hull design.

  5. +1 by:


  6. #5

    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    5
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgiglio3087 View Post
    Okay thank you! So would you recommend buying new vs used? I would buy new but i know they depreciate so quickly, and there is usually great deals to be found when you buy used 2-3 years old(at least its that way with motorcycles)...
    2019 Yamaha FX SVHO Cruiser - Great boat, Comfortable, stable, Great features, fast when you want it to be. Loads of storage.

    I just picked one up new @ Performance East in Goldsboro, NC for 15,400. If this is your first waverunner, you will need a trailer, and there is always Tax, tags, etc. For the Trailer, A Titan, to me is the the best.

    Good Luck

    Len


  7. #6
    Thanks guys, i realize my questions are subjective and dependent on me and my needs. Do you know if the manufacturers do demo days where you can sign up and ride different models to help a prospective buyer choose?

  8. #7
    Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    43,368
    +1
    2,285
    Quote Originally Posted by lpgraff View Post
    ...For the Trailer, A Titan, to me is the the best.

    ...
    Did you mean Triton Trailers?

    I certainly can recommend the Triton welded aluminum PWC trailers. I have had several over the years, currently own a WC2-2 (overkill for most people) and the Triton double with torsion axle and all stainless steel bolt hardware is also good.

  9. +1 by:


  10. #8
    WaterDR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Hudson, WI
    Posts
    1,406
    +1
    234
    Budgets and taste vary. I own a 2019 FX SVHO and the ride is like nothing I have ridden. Wow.

    PWCs actually hold their value a lot better than many other things. Condition and model matter more. Local markets too.

    Year one you can generally get all your money back minus what you paid for the trailer and some fees. Then they seem to drop about $500 to $1000 per year for a few years and then maybe $500 or less per year after that.

    So yes, buying used is always better but may not be better than you think.

    There are though, a lot of people that buy these things that should not and they find themselves selling Asher a one season.

  11. +1 by:


  12. #9
    TimeBandit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    1,152
    +1
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgiglio3087 View Post
    . . . . . Do you know if the manufacturers do demo days where you can sign up and ride different models to help a prospective buyer choose?
    LOL - you are a motorcycle guy!! From one rider to another, I think Kawi runs the best demo programs - although I'm not a true fan of their bikes.

    Back on-point . . . yes I have seen dealers do demo promo days rather than a specific manufacturer. But this is an owners decision, not the mfr as it is with bike demos. So call around to various dealers near you, might get lucky.

    Also, 100% agree with K447 on the FX SHO models. The same SHO engine in other hulls will slightly increase speed and agility to different degrees, but also decrease comfort/stability in rougher water conditions - which also ironically will play into owning the waters or not with less formidable crafts.

    There are a lot more bikes with various handling aspects and application, but with skis it is actually much simpler. First, they are all dang fast! And all able to be pushed faster with mods. Next, here are the basics :

    Bigger motor, more HP = better hole-shot / top-speed. That's a no-brainer.
    Shorter & shallower hulls = more agility, less stable, fast on glass water, harsher ride quality.
    Longer & deeper hulls = little less agility, more stable, faster in chop, smoother ride quality.

    Not sure if considering strictly new, or also used - just know that the hulls are not only different from model to model, but also year to year even in the same model lines ! So it's best to lookup the length/width/height for whatever you are eye-balling.

  13. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    LOL - you are a motorcycle guy!! From one rider to another, I think Kawi runs the best demo programs - although I'm not a true fan of their bikes.

    Back on-point . . . yes I have seen dealers do demo promo days rather than a specific manufacturer. But this is an owners decision, not the mfr as it is with bike demos. So call around to various dealers near you, might get lucky.

    Also, 100% agree with K447 on the FX SHO models. The same SHO engine in other hulls will slightly increase speed and agility to different degrees, but also decrease comfort/stability in rougher water conditions - which also ironically will play into owning the waters or not with less formidable crafts.

    There are a lot more bikes with various handling aspects and application, but with skis it is actually much simpler. First, they are all dang fast! And all able to be pushed faster with mods. Next, here are the basics :

    Bigger motor, more HP = better hole-shot / top-speed. That's a no-brainer.
    Shorter & shallower hulls = more agility, less stable, fast on glass water, harsher ride quality.
    Longer & deeper hulls = little less agility, more stable, faster in chop, smoother ride quality.

    Not sure if considering strictly new, or also used - just know that the hulls are not only different from model to model, but also year to year even in the same model lines ! So it's best to lookup the length/width/height for whatever you are eye-balling.
    Haha thanks for the info, yeah well you know the dealers never want to allow motorcycle test rides for liability reasons, i messaged a local dealer asking if they did demos, they said no but they could possibly set something up. Is that typical? I see most have a “schedule test ride” option on their websites... im just trying to avoid walking into a high pressure sales environment without having my ducks in a row and my guard down... im the type of person who wants to be a well informed customer and needs very little salesmen help in making decisions. Especially on large purchases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. point me in the right direction (first time ski buyer)
    By usaftony1988 in forum Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-07-2016, 06:52 AM
  2. Anyone point me in a direction.
    By Jknauer00 in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2014, 09:59 PM
  3. Gel Coat - Point me in the right direction X-45 1999 SLTX-B
    By Image0r in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-11-2013, 04:48 PM
  4. Which direction should I go?
    By testle in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 02:15 PM
  5. need help, point me in a direction!!!!~
    By catchme in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-27-2007, 09:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •