Thread: 2012 fx sho

2012 fx sho

Was riding for about an hour then got an overheat warning and the ski went into limp mode. Tested the thermostat and checks fine. I ran the ski and let the warning go off again both thermo sensors tested open. One on the exhaust and the other I believe is on the block but very hard to see. Do I need to test these off the machine? Also I shot the engine with my temp gage. Back by the thermostat is about 130. The opposite side is about 149. I am seeing a temp difference is this normal? I am at a loss. Also does not make sense both sensors are testing open? Water flow is great and cool not hot. Any other checks I can make? Both Thermo sensors I checked had green connectors. Thanks in advance!

+1
    I had this turned out to be faulty sensor despite it testing in spec there is one on block near the anode it’s on the intake side near the rear about half way down a pita to get to. You should test sensor at different temps and check the impedance it was the one in the block that went first followed by exhaust one soon after, YDS will tell you which threw the warning the service manual for any SHO has the test process and locations

Update:tested the Engine block temperature sensor and it showed closed. So now I know what is going off. Does anyone know the specs for this sensor? What temp it should go off at? I can’t find the specs in the manual. I want to make sure it’s the sensor before I drop $100 on a new one.

Found the specs and the sensor tests good. Now I am at a complete loss!

+1
    Which sensor alarmed? There are 3 temp sensors intake air, block and exhaust on my ski all tested but looked degraded replaced and was fine but tested in spec

+1
    There are (4) sensors.... although not all will pop a code and cause limp cond.
    Here's what I see in the SHO service manual:

Thermoswitch, fwd stbd engine block, pink & black wire pair. * This will cause limp.
    Normally open.
    Closes : 201-212 F

Thermo sensor, port side, exhaust manifold, black/orange & blue/blue wire pair. * This one will always cause limp.
    24-37 ohms = 32 F
    0.87-1.18 ohms = 212 F

Engine temp sensor, aft stdb engine block, black/yellow & black/orange wire pair. Don't remember if limp or not - I want to say yes.
    54-69 ohms = 68 F
    3.12-3.48 ohms = 212 F

Air Temp sensor,
    5.4-6.6 ohms = 32 F
    0.29-0.39 ohms = 176 F

If the ski is going into limp-mode .... can you recall the error code on the dash panel?
    Personally, I'd also get YDS on that ski and download all the historical codes from the logs.

+1
    Only intake temp sensor won’t cause the limp mode iirc the starboard aft does....ask me how I know that......
    Without YDS your pissing in the breeze on a diagnosis as I think the only dash code is “engine overheat” unless you get a sensor fault which you will if you unplug.

yds 1.33 might get you the info you need but it officially only supports skis upto 2013

hold the two buttons on the left side of the tach for 8 seconds to give you your code

Just ordered a YDS should be here by Friday.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    yds 1.33 might get you the info you need but it officially only supports skis upto 2013
    Officially true. But I'd also like the community to know that YDS 1.33 will work on newer years as well - you just don't see the new codes like RiDE stuff and the dual fly-by-wire TPSs - just one.
    YDS 2.0 is needed for newer models, however only available to authorized dealers.
    That said, the Candoo diag tool ( sold here ) works on both new and old.

Thread Information