Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

2 stroke seadoo not winterised and sat for a year....starting precautions

A buddy has an older seadoo a 720 maybe a GS720 anyway life happens and its been sat for a year probably, it wasn't winterised, he has a bought a new battery and is hoping to get it going again what precautions should he take before trying to starting it? I have told him to get fresh fuel, put some 2 stroke oil in cylinders before starting and try turning it over plugs out to make sure it spins before trying to start.

Am i being over cautious should he just get the battery on and crank away till she fires? Do these older models have a carbon seal how long can it run out the water for?

I'm a 4 stroke yamaha owner so 2 stroke doos are out of my comfort zone but fun skis when running right (he has another that needs a new motor....)

I'm pretty sure he runs them on XPS oil is that the best stuff to use, what else works in a bind as no doo dealers nearby so would need to order oil

Thanks for any input...

PS any idea why one of these would bog down when turning one way but run fine turning the other?

+1
    Putting oil in the cylinders is a good idea and turn it over a couple of times with out the spark plugs. Any good synthetic 2 cycle oil will be good. If you can get Amsoil get it as its the best i found for 2 cycle engines.

If its bogging down by turning one way but not the other check the choke cable. Maybe its binding up on something.

+1
    Well it runs! Not bad for sitting for 2 years! Got old gas out as much as possible, with oil pump added a gallon of fresh and fresh charged battery.

It span over with plugs out easy, (oil in cylinders) checked spark, span it over no fuel but getting to cylinders? Messed with fuel tap (how does reserve work?) still no bang ........choke in, out, bit of throttle, no throttle etc plugs didn’t smell of fuel so seemed like no fuel was getting to cylinders???

was about about to give up and dribbled the last of the fresh fuel into both cylinders a tea spoon full at most, plugs back in and all of a sudden she fired up! Not sure if coincidence or not but after the dribble of fuel it ran and kept running shut it down after a few seconds and then it restarted ok and did a couple more times rev’d up and seemed all good..

lots of smoke but to to be expected? Didn’t want to over do the revving and running.......but seems good so far the steering is very tight guess a new cable is the answer?

Oh BTW it’s a 98 GS I think what motor is it? Looks really clean for 20 years old
    Last edited by HDAV; 06-07-2019 at 04:25 PM.

+1
    @nmpeter how hard is it to do a steering cable on a 98 GS 720?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    just an fyi, @ doesn't do a thing here. this aint twitter

steering cables are not easy

take lots of pictures and make notes on how the cable is run

then do some stretching for about ten minutes before you start.

you will be dealing with tight spaces with limited room to move

great shop/work light is advised

have a box of band aids available

you need a specialty wrench to deal with the steering cable nut

you can find more info by searching for steering cable on the forum.

+1
    Got the answer tho sounds like a job for a tech then.......

will add it to the list.....

+1
    u should pull the cylinder head! biggest issue is rust in the motor. from not getting fog with oil. seen plenty of skis that start and run but rust on the cylinders and or crankshaft is like running engine with sand in it. its pretty quick and easy to just pull the head . and of course the biggest 2 stroke killer out there is gummed up carbs. ran my own shop for 20 yrs

+1
    Steering cable is probably the easiest job you'll do on a jet ski, besides changing the plugs. You can make the tool from a piece of pvc pipe.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    Steering cable is probably the easiest job you'll do on a jet ski, besides changing the plugs. You can make the tool from a piece of pvc pipe.
    Ok can you tell me more? First job will be getting old one off and see how bad it looks?

What would you say about a 2000 GTX 787 RFI that will only run at WOT. And once in the water will not start at all. Once it's running its smooth and powerful. It's just getting there is the problem. Sometimes wont start at all. Certainly wont idle, fresh top end, 140 psi compression on both,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information