Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Mean People at Ramps

Do boaters look down on us with Jet Skis? Seems like they don't like me using the launches.

Tonight, I was waiting for a guy to get his boat out of the water. He yelled at me and said it was rude to be waiting for him. First I've heard of that - but if that's protocol, okay, sorry. Then he told me to use the other side of the dock, which was 1ft deep and had huge rocks in it. I told him it was way too shallow and he insisted that jet skis only need 6 inches of water. I'm pretty sure the bottom of mine sits more than 6 inches in the water. I explained that I had sucked up a plant recently in 2ft of water. He said that it happens and it's a good lesson. Floored his truck as he drove off to assert dominance.

I've only launched a handful of times, but I'll get fisherman grunting at me.

I'm nice to everyone, and I'm the fastest one in and out.

I know it's a stressful situation for everyone, but my last encounter had me feeling down and it's kind of ruining the experience.

+1
    Yeah, some of these guys are simply dicks and don't like to have fun. I have a center console fishing boat and get more respect when I am launching that vs when I am launching my PWC(They all aren't JetSkis).. It's annoying but is what it is I guess, however I will say that when I started messing with PWCs back in '96 there was a LOT more hatred towards them. Now you are seeing a lot more "Old guys" out there on them as well as families and quite a few people who use them for fishing which helps with the image, Plus most these days aren't loud smokey 2 strokes.

You really only have 2 options; One is to smile and nod, the other is to tell them to F@#$ off depending on your mood and personality.

+1
    Everyone has launch ramp stories and probably some tips. Donít engage someone that is already pissed off. Just smile and nod. Maybe a quick wave. As long as you arenít blocking the ramp donít worry about what they have to say.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ytechie View Post
    ...yelled at me ...
    I know it's a stressful situation for everyone, but my last encounter had me feeling down and it's kind of ruining the experience.
    It took me a minor in psych to learn (and then decades in law enforcement to truly understand), other than communicating to someone afar, yelling is a sign of fear; whether itís me doing the yelling (and I tend to yell, a lot) or someone else.

Do ... not ... let othersí fears get you down

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
    Yeah, some of these guys are simply dicks and don't like to have fun. I have a center console fishing boat and get more respect when I am launching that vs when I am launching my PWC(They all aren't JetSkis).. It's annoying but is what it is I guess, however I will say that when I started messing with PWCs back in '96 there was a LOT more hatred towards them. Now you are seeing a lot more "Old guys" out there on them as well as families and quite a few people who use them for fishing which helps with the image, Plus most these days aren't loud smokey 2 strokes.

You really only have 2 options; One is to smile and nod, the other is to tell them to F@#$ off depending on your mood and personality.
    Thatís a solid option of how to handle a butthole ass licker kinda dick like the fkcer you described if it got me angry , which it would have I woulda laughed then looked at him and smiled then run at him fast as you can ranting you m)/) doc)):$:$ and then laughed a crazy laugh and go rip it up and enjoy my ski

6. +1 by:

+1
    Unfortunately, a lot of these things are based on valid experiences. Anytime I see boat of any type racing through the no wake area, its almost always a PWC. Although, most of these same people are likely just clueless and first time riders etc...

Boat ramp stories....where do I begin? Launch enough times or maybe jyust your first, and you will see all sorts of shit. I often joke that for a married couple, launching a boat can test your marriage like nothing else.

Our city launch has a confusing traffic pattern, noone running the launch (other than taking your money) and there is a .... wait for it....an actual sidewalk that passes right through the ramp. Technically, it stops at the ramp, but people walk right on through without looking. Right at the point where the ramps slops downward. This means that as boats are backing up (its wide enough for 3 or 4 boats) there are actually clueless people, with strollers, who walk right behind boat trailers backing up. I have litteray shouted "stop" or "do't move" to people and they just keep on walking. Unreal.

Then you have the person who can't back up between boats...they insist on being on an outside lane which holds other people up. I generally drive up to them and ask if they mind if I squeeze in. One time a guy got pissed at me because doing so, I ended up with the last parking spot. But seriously....if you are going to sit and wait when clearly two trailers can fit, then sucks to be you. I hate public launches and avoid them as much as possible.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for the stories guys! Definitely makes me feel better. Honestly, the vast majority of my experiences at the ramp have actually been positive, but it only takes a couple to leave a sour taste.

I'm a smile and wave guy. I realize half of the fisherman and tube floaters are looking at me like "now that's the tool for the job, this guy knows how to have fun" and the other half are like "what a A-hole". I just give them all the smile, nod and wave.

+1
    Last year as a different launch, I had a mechanical issue with my trailer. I pulled up as far out of the way as I could, but it was pretty obvious I had an issue. Some dick got really impatient. Peeled out in his truck, tires squealing and nearly hit me. Then backed down the ramp as if in the Indy 500.

he was with his wife and kids.

It was a private ramp but open to the public for a fee. I am friends with the owner.

i said nothing. Not a word. Just took my phone out and started filing the guy. His kid yells “dad he is taking your picture”. He starts yelling at me. His wife is yelling at him because he is an obvious dick. I said not one word. Just emailed the clip to the owner.

it was the third complaint on the guy and got him banned.

justice served

12. +1 by:

+1
    I used to launch a blown(8-71) big block Chevy jet boat and my PWC. Two vehicles, Wife in one, me in the other. I would thread the needle between other people where they deemed they could not back up into the tight spot, hence they would wait in a long line (not me, been backing boats up since I was 13 with my old man). I would always find a kid or teenager to hold my boat as they were in awe (me keeping the keys in pocket of course). Then I had to get out go park and hop in Wife's tow vehicle and back the jet ski in. I did this in less time it took other people with their boats backing up and going forward trying to get their boats in. I always had confrontation at the ramp. They would start mouthing off and I would just fire the blown big block chevy up and shrug my shoulder and mouth "I can't hear you". Spin the boat around and kick a rooster tail and head out. Wife would be on the jet ski pulling out too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information