Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by raven007 View Post
    Are any of those dumps from the ecus which were known to hole pistons? It would be interesting to compare a dump from one of those vs the "good" ones.

Beyond 8k the 12f and 15f engines in stock form kind of self disassemble sometimes....
    The 03 12f ecu I wouldn't touch with a 40 foot pole, the others are all pretty stable. I have an 07 12f that I have not dumped yet that ate two cylinders. I also wouldn't run that tune.

The 04 and 05 tunes seem to be stable on the 12f.

Sean

+1
    If I remember, I will post some pictures of a 15f ecu I de-potted.

Sean

I would like to see the fuel and timing tables that are extracted from the bins. I think it would be a good start to baseline a speeduino setup.

4. +1 by:

A lot of useful info, but does not really answer my question.
    I know people run advance mods on these, but it would be much better to advance the timing in the correct fashion...

I am running 32 degrees at 8000 rpm (up from 24 degrees stock, but that's because timing drops off), I think MBT is probably closer to 40, but I don't want to keep advancing the timing without:
    a) Having the ability to listen to knock
    b) Having it attached to a dyno to see if I am making gains.

Also the Ultra has heavily retarded timing from 8500 on, whereas this ski just flatlines after 8k. I guess they lowered the timing to slow down the engine somewhat when the ski jumps out of the water on the newer versions.
    I calibrated it to give decent timing advance to 8000, and retard at 8500 to help with preventing overspinning the engine.

I can easily make the same modifications in the binaries you sent me...

I have not checked what the differences are in the tunes (if any) between the years.

Quote Originally Posted by raven007 View Post
    I would like to see the fuel and timing tables that are extracted from the bins. I think it would be a good start to baseline a speeduino setup.
    The problem with that is, there are also trims based on temp, no way to visualize those without logging the actual timing from the controller.

True, I would still have to really build the tune from scratch but its a place to start.

It would be nice if you had a tank to put the ski in. You already have it hooked to a water brake dyno.

+1
    Trim curves are relatively easy to play with once you have the base map. Startup maps, cranking maps, timing position information, takes longer to build than the temp offsets do.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Yeah, the 03 and 04 12f ecus run 1 "water temp" sensor and do not have slo mode, the 04 15f ecu doesnt run slo mode but run 1"water temp" and 1 oil temp sensor.

These engines just arent setup to spin super fast.

The valvetrain is straight out of a zx12r and can spin to 13k but on the 12f the rods aren't the best, the intake runners are stupid long, and the cams are laughably small.

The 15f is the same head and valvetrain but the stroke is almost 70mm vs the 55.4 on the zx ans 12f so you have way higher piston speed and acceleration. I ran my ms3 controlled 15f to 9k an it was ok but that wasnt for long and it was with better springs, valves, and lighter rotating assembly.

Stock the 15f has bigger cams but they are still pretty small and runs a medium lenght runner.

Imho the motors are setup pretty well to run at 7500 where the pump efficiency is high, spinning the motor just doesnt help since you overspin the pump.

Once the pump is flowing much more water, you start to starve it with the pump tunnel.

Sean
    Awesome Info, thanks..

+1
    No problem, whats the point of a forum if we don't have a positive and open discussion?

I have been waiting for years to get schooled up on how to read these maps so I am stoked someone who does this found our little corner.

Sean

+1
    Me as well.. I am good with basic electronics, circuit design and basic microprocessor programming but always wanted to know how to even get the information out of automotive ECUs as well as power sports ones.. Stuff is just awesome.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information