Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

The Best Spark Prop / Wear Ring combo for Hole Shots?

There are a lot of threads on "top speeds" and equipment alternatives for gains, etc. but as far as I can find, only incidental or secondary mention of what prop +/or wear ring(s) can make the biggest difference in "launch."

I'm interested in the best hole shots or launch my grandson and I can get with our Spark TRixx 2-up on our flatwater lake (and yes, I realize it is only a 110 but, for a 16-yoa that's plenty for now, ha-ha AND bearing in mind we have other skis for higher top speeds.

The 2-up only has 6-hours on it as of this morning but, with small leaves, twigs, bark and stuff floating on our lakes surface a lot of days, I know the first thing I have to acquire is a replacement wear ring so, I am thinking I might as well "go for it" and get a stainless ring.

But, which one? (of course, being able to get it from here at the GHStore'd be another plus )

The prop I may have to put off 'til this Fall or Winter (for next season); right now, we are having an absolute blast with this 2-up filling a niche for doing stuff the VXR and SXR cant do!

I realize a lot of you have been down this road and have lessons both bought and learned so, I am sincere when I say, Thanks in advance!

+1
    if you have lots of sticks/leaves floating where you ride I wouldn't get a stainless - more chance of your prop being damaged.

best bang for your buck for hole shot would be get a Worx intake grate

+1
    Hey edgelett, thanks for heads up!

oh man, I may have painted myself into a corner with the Intake Grate ; I had the dealer install the Riva Racing top loader Intake Grate, pump seal kit and Sponsons offered as option-ups by BRP ...

i guess ill hold off on getting a stainless wear ring and just keep 1 or 2 OEM wear rings on th shelf in the closet on our dock - along with the 10mm and 13mm sockets, extensions, wrenches and grease, etc. necessary for swapping them out.

(I haven’t done a wear ring swap yet but, understand it’s the kind of thing that, after you’ve done 1 or 2 they go pretty quickly (quick enough that losing a wear ring shouldn’t ruin a day and most certainly not an entire weekend - sometimes the number of guests we have on summer weekends that could spell disaster, ha-ha!)

ive come across some great videos on the steps for wear ring replacement (one of the best right here on GH) but, not yet any videos starting with removal of the Variable Trim System bucket, etc.
    Last edited by Thor; 06-05-2019 at 05:49 PM.

+1
    Riva intake grate is probably just as good, I can only comment on the Worx as that' the one I got.
    i had that installed first before I changed any props/got a tune etc.
    I still have a plastic wear ring in mine because we ride in a river where you can't see more than 6 inches under the surface so it's easy to suck up sticks etc & not know you're riding through it - means I've gone through 2 wear rings since 2015.
    i just prefer the wear ring blows & I know something is wrong & bring it back than a stick or rock go through the prop and fuck it lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by edgelett View Post
    ... i just prefer the wear ring blows & I know something is wrong & bring it back than a stick or rock go through the prop and fuck it lol
    Great minds think alike, ha-ha!

I appreciate your experience and the river I am on turns to exactly what you describe after heavy rains. (Actually, for a period after heavy rains, the floating crap is so bad there is NO WAY any pwc’s wouldn’t be brought to a stop. Only THEN does it improve to “risky,” ha-ha!)

Heck, IMO 2 rings in 4 years ain’t too hateful so, I’m gonna dedicate myself NOW to assembling a “grab bag” I can keep in the closet on our dock - with one OEM ring, all the necessary sockets, wrenches, extensions, grease, loctite, etc., etc. needed to do a ring swap-out, with the Spark pulled up onto the floating port backwards. (At least one of our guests is a former semi-pro MX’er who used to do this kind of stuff in his sleep and heck, the rest of our guests who’re NASCAR fans will love the concept also!

One thing I am having trouble tracking actual availability on is a spare or two of the bolts and nuts - I’d like to have one or two of each just in case one goes swimming or is otherwise lost (having everything I need to do a “pit swap” ring replacement but being stopped cold cuz a bolt rolled into the drink would make me crazy(ier)!!!

+1
    we've done the same thing - bag with spare wear ring & all the tools needed to install it that we take whenever we go out.

if you were looking at getting a prop without a tune, i got a 12/17 impeller for my Spark a couple of years ago. Used it for 12 months and it was great, only changed it out cause I finally saved up enough for the tune.
    gave it more hole shot (less top end though).

Once I got a tune I had to change it, but till then it was perfect

+1
    Hey, thanks man! I will see if I can locate "the list" of tools I came across posted on another forum (all credit to "wizzer") and, IIRC, that dude put up a photo as well of how he got everything into a trick little container THE PERFECT size! Edit: Found it! https://www.seadoospark.org/forum/12...tml#post164116

The closer I get to assembling our "Spark pit crew bag" the more I am focused on also having a spare or two of the different bolts and nuts, etc. - the flip side of the convenience of being able to do basic repairs or maintenance on a floating dock is the reality that, if anything is dropped (tool or a bolt) it is 17' underwater in the blink of an eye!

Anyone know where I can obtain a list of the nut and bolt diameters, thread sizes, lengths, etc. one comes across dissecting ibr / vts, the pump, etc. in accessing the wear ring? (I hate to have to wait til winter to pull everything out and simply hand carry one of each nut and bolt somewhere they have an assortment of stainless steel fasteners, in order to match each up and buy spares …)
    Last edited by Thor; 06-10-2019 at 08:50 AM.

+1
    Best option for hole shot is 110hp tune with a 12/15 impeller.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Hey demon, thanks! Tunes are an area that is / are completely new to me; now that I am getting more comfortable taking care of our own basic preventative maintenance on our crafts I am going to have to start haunting the forum boards here, on “MaptunerX ECU Tuning” (I’ll definitely be looking for THE BEST, MOST TROUBLEFREE as, electronics is definitely NOT my strong suit, at present!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by demon8991 View Post
    Best option for hole shot is 110hp tune with a 12/15 impeller.
    I second this.
    I had a 12/17 prop for a year as I said as I couldn't afford a tune, but then once i saved up I got the 110hp tune and switched the impeller for a 12/15.
    the 12/17 was bloody impressive.
    the tune with the 12/15 blew my mind.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information