Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    SHO coil specs check part numbers are the same for the HO 1800

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	92473D32-8578-4D17-B644-532FF10BB695.png 
Views:	168 
Size:	361.3 KB 
ID:	449432  

Thanks for all the info! Busy for the next few days with work, but I’ll test everything out this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Could be. But it also could be a bad signal wire (bad connector) to either of these.

As far a troubleshooting the coils ... these skis have electronic ignition systems, so the spark strength won't change with stator health or rpm differences. Besides, there are no high-voltage wires ... as the coils are built into the spark plug boots.
    The way to "test" coils is to ohm them on a bench first and check the values measured with the service manual. You ohm the spark side to ground, then all three pins. If you don't have the manual, ohm all the coils and compare among them - all should get the same general values.
    The next way is an Active Test using YDS. You pull the plug, attach it to a spark plug tester tool, reconnect the coil, then using a live YDS session initiate the ignition test. YDS will command the ECU to then pulse the desired plug for 5 seconds, enough for you to observe the sparks in the tester.

Don't forget about a possible air leak where throttle-body (TBV) attaches to front the intake manifold. Reach down, grab a hold of the TBV and see if you can get any separation in union plate. You could also try this while idling in the driveway, to see if the idle changes good/bad.

Another possibility ... temperature sensor (or the connector plug). Remember, these are computer-controlled fueling/timing, so in correct temp and or pressure data could have the ECU flipping to the wrong fuel maps - although that should pop a code. YDS can help here as well, by showing real-time temp data from the sensor.

I finally got a chance to try more driveway testing.
    First I tried to check for a leak around the TBV. Nothing changed with the engine while I moved it around. I even tried lightly spaying some starting fluid near the TBV to see if there as a leak, no changes.

Next I moved to the injectors. While the engine was running I unplugged each signal wire for the injector (at different times) and after unplugging each one they all equally made the engine run worse. So it seems as if the injectors are all running ok?

I shut the engine off and moved to the coils. I did an ohm reading from the spark side to all 3 pins and got no readings on any of them. Is that the correct way to do it or am I being a dummy?
    I measured the resistance over the 3 pins and got various readings. From Pin 1 to 2 it was 1KΩ on all of the coils. From pin 1 to 3 it varied 3MΩ to 5MΩ. From Pin 2 to 3 it varied 7MΩ to 8MΩ.

So, I didn't seem to get anywhere....and since I don't have YDS I guess it's time to take it to the dealer and see if they can tell me anything.
    Unless anyone has another idea on what I can check?
    Thanks.

Well, I went and bought new plugs this morning just to double check it. Figured it's a cheap experiment and worse case is I have an extra set of plugs.
    And, no luck. Same rough idle issue....
    I ordered the gasket for the TBV as I figured that was another cheap experiment, $8. Should be showing up later this week.

One note is while trying it at the boat ramp this morning the exhaust smelled rich, if that is any help in trying to figure this all out.
    After I give the gasket a try, it might jut be time to take it to the dealer :/

+1
    At 200 hours they usually check the valves and readjust them as needed. Maybe yours may need readjusting

I am also having problems with my FX HO idling, although my is a bit older. It's a 2005. Mine idles very high to the point that I can't pull the reverse lever and have to hit the off button to slow the ski down. Could a rough idle be caused by the APS (accelerator position sensor)?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester123 View Post
    . . . . .
    One note is while trying it at the boat ramp this morning the exhaust smelled rich, if that is any help in trying to figure this all out.
    After I give the gasket a try, it might jut be time to take it to the dealer :/
    Chester123 - Good diagnostic test on pulling each FI plug at a time. I would of guessed a stuck-open injector, but that sounds unlikely now.
    So you can try the same test by pulling each coil connector at a time, listen for the rpm drop being = for all cylinders.
    The only other reason for a rich condition would be a sensor (temp or atm pressure, etc...) reading a wrong value which would/could fool the ecu into using the wrong fuel map AFRs. Totally spit-balling here.

There may not be a error with a false-sensor, thus may have no codes in the run log via YDS. However, YDS does also have a 'live' session where one can actively watch the temp & pressure & TBV values.

nathan_19 - that year has the MR1 engine. Probably best to start your own thread on that, because that engine/year has a physical cable screw throttle-body adj. It also employs a throttle bypass valve system which likely could be causing your raised rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    Chester123 - Good diagnostic test on pulling each FI plug at a time. I would of guessed a stuck-open injector, but that sounds unlikely now.
    So you can try the same test by pulling each coil connector at a time, listen for the rpm drop being = for all cylinders.
    The only other reason for a rich condition would be a sensor (temp or atm pressure, etc...) reading a wrong value which would/could fool the ecu into using the wrong fuel map AFRs. Totally spit-balling here.

There may not be a error with a false-sensor, thus may have no codes in the run log via YDS. However, YDS does also have a 'live' session where one can actively watch the temp & pressure & TBV values.
    Thanks for the ideas and feedback TimeBandit! Much appreciated.
    I decided to take it into the dealer over the weekend...Figured paying for 1hr of Diag would be good and would get to the bottom of it. The bummer is they're almost 2 weeks out on service...but that's what happens when you have to take it to the dealer at peak 'let's get the ski out for the summer after it's been sitting for months' season.
    Oh well...I'll report back once I have more info.
    Hopefully it's an easy fix and I can get back on the ocean for some salmon fishing soon!

Small update.
    I spoke with the shop on the phone yesterday after they had finished up the 1hr of diagnostics. I only had a chance to speak with the supervisor/front desk guy and not the tech as they were about to close. I'll get a chance to speak with the tech who did the work on Tuesday when I go to pick it up, so hopefully I'll get more info then.

They said the only issue they could find was an exhaust leak (where I must not have secured one of the hose clamps well after removing the exhaust) and he speculated that is why I was having idling issues. Basically was trying to tell me that it wouldn't run correctly due to the exhaust filling up the engine area and there not being enough oxygen... I don't know if I buy this, but they have more experience so maybe they're right?

It could idle fine the driveway for a long time and showed no symptoms, so why would less than 30 seconds on the water under load have the problem? Seems odd to me.
    Also, why would it run ok once it got to higher RPM's if the engine area was 'full of exhaust'?

So, I'll be able to get more info from the tech on Tuesday when I pick it up and we'll see what he says. I'll take it to the river after picking it up and hopefully that was the fix. Seems unlikely but who knows.
    Worse case is I take it back to them and then they take it for a river test with the computer/diag tools. (at a cost of 2hrs of shop time of course...)

+1
    Under load, there will be more pressure in the exhaust, so its not a stretch to consider more oxygen displacement. I'd wait for the test ride. Hopefully that is it. If not, at least one thing is ruled out. Keep us posted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information