Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2015 310 no compression cylinder 1 and 4

It seems I am joining the crowd of 310 owners that have lost pistons on the 310s. Ski only has 27 hours on it. Nothing weird happened, oil changed as it should, high octane gas used, climate controlled garage, only used marine polish . Piston 1 compression was 60, piston 2 was 150, piston 3 was 150, piston 4 was 30. I also have oil in my air box.

Given the amount of people this has happed to I feel there should be some solid advice. Do I rebuild it myself? Do I contact the dealer? Do I use 300 pistons and rings? Is it likely that I'll only need pistons or the cylinder as well? Do I sink it and cut my loses?

Thanks in advance. PS this happened 15 minutes into a week vacation at the lake

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm1027 View Post
    It seems I am joining the crowd of 310 owners that have lost pistons on the 310s. Ski only has 27 hours on it. Nothing weird happened, oil changed as it should, high octane gas used, climate controlled garage, only used marine polish . Piston 1 compression was 60, piston 2 was 150, piston 3 was 150, piston 4 was 30. I also have oil in my air box.

Given the amount of people this has happed to I feel there should be some solid advice. Do I rebuild it myself? Do I contact the dealer? Do I use 300 pistons and rings? Is it likely that I'll only need pistons or the cylinder as well? Do I sink it and cut my loses?

Thanks in advance. PS this happened 15 minutes into a week vacation at the lake
    You are about to be bombarded by the keyboard hero's on how to fix or why you should sell it and buy a seadonkey or yamadoodle……….. lol

1stly we need the FULL story as this will help dramatically with the advise you seek

1. were you using the OEM SUGGESTED fuel quality or better all the time and at the time of failure what /how was the ski being ridden
    2. have any mods been done to the ski
    3. what is the history on the ski , u buy it new etc

repairing it if it is the typical cracked ring land is easy

Yes use 300 pistons
    hopefully your cylinder is good

But honestly until you have it apart infront of you on a bench its all guess work

Whoever work on the just needs to be mechanical competent and use the manual
    once its been updated to the different piston and you maintain it correctly it will the great ski it should be

Waz

Ski always had 90+ octane fuel

mods include stage 1 riva tune, ride plate, and air mods

I was running at or near WOT for a couple seconds, rolled off the throttle then back on. Ski hesitated and lost power. I immediately pulled the lanyard looked under the seat and got a tow to the dock. Hasn’t been started since, just bumped the starter for compression

I bought the ski new

How many hours does it take to pull the pistons? Assuming someone has some mechanical intuition

+1
    Ik pistons are the first thing that come to mind with the early 310s, but how sure are we that it’s piston related? Usually wouldn’t see 2 go at the exact same time would you? Since it’s 1 and 4 with no sompression it could be timing related.

Quote Originally Posted by DH300 View Post
    Ik pistons are the first thing that come to mind with the early 310s, but how sure are we that it’s piston related? Usually wouldn’t see 2 go at the exact same time would you? Since it’s 1 and 4 with no sompression it could be timing related.
    I went through a 1.5 quarts of oil in 30 minutes and the air box was full of oil

+1
    I went through a 1.5 quarts of oil in 30 minutes and the air box was full of oil
    Sounds too familiar to me!!!!
    I'm on my second 310 with the piston issue.
    Always ran premium fuel and skis were bone stock.
    2015 needed just pistons at 40 hours
    2018 needed Block and pistons from the damage at 30 hours
    Both times they used 300 piston and no issues or oil loss after that.
    2015 had 350 hours when I traded
    2018 has 60 hours now no issues.
    Don't listen to the other's that blame you for the problem.
    They don't have a clue what they are talking about.
    When I first had the oil burning problem on my 2015 they told me I didn't know how to read a dip stick and there was no way the ski could go through that much oil.
    Now they think there is a octane conspiracy. LOL
    Truly sorry your going through this!
    Really sucks kawi can't build a reliable engine for this otherwise awesome ski.
    I'd recommend having a good engine shop go through the engine and see what it needs. Make sure the rebuild includes 300 pistons and some kind of warranty. Hope you are back on the water soon!!!

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Ski always had 90+ octane fuel

mods include stage 1 riva tune, ride plate, and air mods

I was running at or near WOT for a couple seconds, rolled off the throttle then back on. Ski hesitated and lost power. I immediately pulled the lanyard looked under the seat and got a tow to the dock. Hasn’t been started since, just bumped the starter for compression

I bought the ski new

How many hours does it take to pull the pistons? Assuming someone has some mechanical intuition
    By the sounds of it assuming everything else is as you say

This sounds like the failed piston ring lands that some skies have experienced.

I would be intouch with your purchasing dealer as there is a known fault on some 310's

If you approach this correctly at the dealer there is a High chance of it being warranty ( good will repair )

Now how long does your dealer take to repair ( from what I hear and have seen in the USA ) the average dealers are typically dicks and you have no ski for months on end.... So I guess its your call.

Now if you repair it yourself , Assuming it only needs pistons, rings, and gaskets its a Saturdays work if you know what your doing.
    worst case is pistons, cylinder , Gaskets
    ( same again most idiot dealers just replace anything just to screw the OEM out of some warranty moneys)

But as previously stated until the engine is apart its all guess work

The Typical Kawi's fault failure is only a broken ring land... ( causing low compression and excess crankcase pressure pushing oil into the airbox)

Now if the ridder held it WOT post initial failure and emptied the sump and hurt the bearings ( well I don't know) but also a oil warning light happens in this event & your oil filter will be full of sparkles

If you pull it apart and the top of the piston is eroded away from detonation , then you plane and simple have a fuel/tune issue ( most people with failed skies don't understand the difference and blame it ALL on kawi )

Kawi knows some pistons can fail ( but they fail a certain way) which you will see when the piston is in your hand.

but either way 300x pistons and revised rings are the way to go

its just the luck of the draw as all 3 of my 15-16 model 310's had pulleys , tune etc and all ran into there 00's of hrs , my 2018 is just short of 100hrs now again pulley and tune and a shit load of 15minutes at 8000+ rpm

My mates 2016 took a dump at the typical 25-30 hr mark..... Kawi fixed it and was good for ever after that
    I still ride with mates on 15 and 16 model skies, both have tunes and zero issues ….. just some people attract engine failures on what ever they ride/own

Good luck and don't get distracted by the cry babies that have zero mechanical knowledge of the real issue
    Facts are more important than feelings ……….

Waz
    Last edited by sirbreaksalot; 06-03-2019 at 11:53 PM.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Does your 2015 'Ski have the extended warranty? Mine does. Bought it used with 13 hours on it and wouldn't have bought it without the warranty.

+1
    Double post
    Last edited by TJK; 06-08-2019 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Double post

+1
    Don’t feel bad I have 2 310 (Grenades). Both spent much of last summer in the shop for Piston issues. Both were bought new. Both went while running fresh 93 octane. Mine has an override but wifeys is bone stock.
    Well wifeys went again last weekend. She’s 51 yo and the slowest rider in the pack but got frisky and pulled about a 10 second wot run and it started smoking. Checked the oil and there was nothing on the stick. It took 2.5 quarts. We were about 15 miles from the launch. I said f that pos run it back and with any luck it will sink.
    Checked it when home and sure enough, oil in the air box.
    The first time hers went she never even got it on plane. Just ran bad from from start with no problems the ride before.
    Thank god I bought the extended warranty. I Would never own a 310 out of warranty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information