Back To Having WaveRunners 1200 XLT & 1300 GPR

Newbie to the forum but have owned boats and watercraft all my life. Just bought a house a couple years ago on the Chesapeake Bay, so after the boat...33' Wellcraft Scarab AVS, decided to pick up two Wave Runners just to have fun with for the wife and I. Used to own two 1100 WaveRaiders about 6 years ago, lots of fun.

Didn't want to spend a ton of money so ended up picking up a 2002 1200 XLT for the wife with 87 hours on it, rebuilt carbs, D-Plate, Wave Eater Clips, etc and a 2003 1300 GPR with 18 hours on it. Got the 1200 for tubing/skiing and because my wife had never been on a WaveRunner..... ever! Both were bought from friends that I know well so I have a little history on them. Just put the Wave Eater clips on the 1300 today, looking for advice on the couplers...tight fit. Exhaust is off and tomorrow I should get around to the D-Plate install. Then gonna call Yamaha and see if the recalls have been done on either or both machines and see, after 15 years if they will honor them. Since they are safety recalls, my guess is probably but we will see, no big deal if they don't, will probably only put 10 or 15 hours on the skis/year.

Anyway, just wanted to intro myself. I'll probably be asking questions that I can't seem to figure out.....like what and where does it fit, its a long metal bracket that's under the battery tray on the 1300? When I took the battery box out to remove the exhaust for the D plate, this fell out around the port side rear and I can't for the life of me figure out how or where it goes?
    '

Quote Originally Posted by Ferraristystyle View Post
    Newbie to the forum but have owned boats and watercraft all my life. Just bought a house a couple years ago on the Chesapeake Bay, so after the boat...33' Wellcraft Scarab AVS, decided to pick up two Wave Runners just to have fun with for the wife and I. Used to own two 1100 WaveRaiders about 6 years ago, lots of fun.

Didn't want to spend a ton of money so ended up picking up a 2002 1200 XLT for the wife with 87 hours on it, rebuilt carbs, D-Plate, Wave Eater Clips, etc and a 2003 1300 GPR with 18 hours on it. Got the 1200 for tubing/skiing and because my wife had never been on a WaveRunner..... ever! Both were bought from friends that I know well so I have a little history on them. Just put the Wave Eater clips on the 1300 today, looking for advice on the couplers...tight fit. Exhaust is off and tomorrow I should get around to the D-Plate install. Then gonna call Yamaha and see if the recalls have been done on either or both machines and see, after 15 years if they will honor them. Since they are safety recalls, my guess is probably but we will see, no big deal if they don't, will probably only put 10 or 15 hours on the skis/year.

Anyway, just wanted to intro myself. I'll probably be asking questions that I can't seem to figure out.....like what and where does it fit, its a long metal bracket that's under the battery tray on the 1300? When I took the battery box out to remove the exhaust for the D plate, this fell out around the port side rear and I can't for the life of me figure out how or where it goes?
    '
    Duh....figured out what that bar was, it's the bracket to hold the battery box in....just didn't see it drop. So got the D-plate in.....and for the first timer, it's not hard, just awkward and a little bit of PITA but not all that bad. I have NEVER worked on a waverunner before, and with youtube, greenhulk, and beer breaks took about 3 hours for me...however next time it will be faster now that I know what I'm doing. But it is a definite DIY job and you will learn a lot about the ski.

Next will be to finish up the wave eater couplers (lost both of the washers in the hull so now I have to go buy new ones...) and new plugs tomorrow. Then fresh gas with my favorite fuel additives by Liquid Performance to kill the ethanol. Hopefully in the water on Tues/Wed... Fingers crossed it runs fine after the D-plate install and wave eater clip install.

Thread Information