MSX 140 Not Getting Fuel

I recently purchased a non running 2003 Polaris MSX 140. The seller said that the fuel pump was toast. There was no fuel pressure at the test port so I replaced the fuel pump. Now there is pressure, but the injectors are not opening to inject fuel. The voltage at the injectors is 6 to 8 volts. Seems a bit low to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also looking for a service manual download if there is one available. Haven't been able to find one on the web.

Thank You

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

Click here
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

Find the Ficht section. Lots of useful info

What fuel pump did you use for the replacement?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart1 View Post
    I recently purchased a non running 2003 Polaris MSX 140. The seller said that the fuel pump was toast. There was no fuel pressure at the test port so I replaced the fuel pump. Now there is pressure, but the injectors are not opening to inject fuel. The voltage at the injectors is 6 to 8 volts. Seems a bit low to me. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Also looking for a service manual download if there is one available. Haven't been able to find one on the web.

Thank You
    Battery to low? Hook startin amps from battery charger and try. I am currently replacing fuel pump on my msx 140.

I used a Quantum fuel pump from E-bay. Had the charger on a new battery for a while. Don't think that is the problem but I will check voltage anyway. I will also try to find the Ficht section and see what is there. Thanks for the advice. I will post my results.

+1
    Welcome to GH! Injector volts while cranking need to be ~20V for the injectors to fire enough fuel to get the engine to start. Your low voltage suggests either a flywheel/stator problem, or an EMM problem (which I can assist you with). Flywheel/stator health is best determined by measuring open circuit AC volts on all 5 winding pairs while cranking.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jmart1 View Post
    I used a Quantum fuel pump from E-bay. Had the charger on a new battery for a while. Don't think that is the problem but I will check voltage anyway. I will also try to find the Ficht section and see what is there. Thanks for the advice. I will post my results.
    We've had quite a few issues with the so called "direct replacement" fuel pumps. They draw too much current. In turn, this causes the fuel pump driver in the EMM to over heat and shut down. See this thread and the links within for more info.

As HiPeRcO indicated, the injector supply voltage (white/red wire) should be approximately 21 VDC while cranking and 45 VDC when running, measuring from white-red wire and ground. You can find a detailed procedure here for checking the stator.

Thread Information