+1

Bunks on PWC Dolley.

I am going to make my dolley. But I am wondering where the bunks go? Anywhere or try to match where the trailer bunks are?
    Steel is cheap around me, I have wheels, and I only had to order carpet and the hoist so I can lift it with the tractor from the trailer to the dolley.

+1
    The bunks would go in the same place or dimension as whats on your trailer. There is your template right there. Unless youre really just set on building a dolly, I would get this one off of ebay. It only costs 122.00 shipped.

I bought this jet ski cradle from ebay and was able to slide the skis on and off the trailer to do more at home. This cradle is awesome. The only thing I didnt like about it, and it wasnt that bad, but it had some fore and aft flex when the ski was sitting on it. So I went to Lowes and bought some metal strap, cut it, bent it, and drilled holes to mount it. Its now very solid. Putting this cradle behind the trailer, I could pull one jet ski off and onto the trailer with no problem, make adjustments, and then winch it back on. Something to be mindful of with that jet ski cradle. The bunks on that cradle are aluminum and the carpet could eventually be pulled back on the ends after a few times of usage, so the corners of the bunk could scratch your hull. So I plan on removing that carpet and putting some thicker tighter weaved carpet that extends about a half an inch longer to prevent the corners from being exposed. Otherwise, a great cradle for the price.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cradle.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	157.1 KB 
ID:	449009   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cradle2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	91.4 KB 
ID:	449010  

3. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by diegoo.jayjay View Post
    I am going to make my dolley. But I am wondering where the bunks go? Anywhere or try to match where the trailer bunks are?
    Steel is cheap around me, I have wheels, and I only had to order carpet and the hoist so I can lift it with the tractor from the trailer to the dolley.
    Is the bunk spacing on your trailer correctly matched to the hull width between the hull strakes? If yes, then you can build the dolly to match.

I use Liquid Rollers bunk spray to reduce friction between hull and trailer bunks. We slide our watercraft on and off the trailer often. Easy with two people, doable with one person and some grunting. Putting the ski back on the trailer is even easier, just use the bow winch to crank the hull forward from the shop cart onto the trailer bunks.

My dolly bunks are are almost as high as the trailer bunks. Minimizes the lifting force needed against the forward hull to get the hull back up onto the trailer.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Av8ter View Post

The only thing I didnt like about it, and it wasnt that bad, but it had some fore and aft flex when the ski was sitting on it. So I went to Lowes and bought some metal strap, cut it, bent it, and drilled holes to mount it. Its now very solid.

The bunks on that cradle are aluminum and the carpet could eventually be pulled back on the ends after a few times of usage, so the corners of the bunk could scratch your hull. So I plan on removing that carpet and putting some thicker tighter weaved carpet that extends about a half an inch longer to prevent the corners from being exposed. Otherwise, a great cradle for the price.
    Thanks for the idea, all the cradles I found were around 200 but I figured I could build a beefier one for that price. Carpet was $25 for 12 ft, a 20ft 2x2 12 gauge square tube is only $45 and 4 - 4" caster wheels $45. Couple nights after works is free. Also I'm looking to maintain as much clearance as possible; in case I have to work on the bottom hull for any reason in the future.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is the bunk spacing on your trailer correctly matched to the hull width between the hull strakes? If yes, then you can build the dolly to match.

I use Liquid Rollers bunk spray to reduce friction between hull and trailer bunks.
    I bought the trailer/ski as a package deal so I'm assuming its correct. This is the best picture I have on my phone but I'll take a new one tomorrow and see what you guys think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190522_142329.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	84.6 KB 
ID:	449039  

Thread Information