Unhappy Rxpx issues after last weekend

First post as many of you have solved my issues by simply reading here time and time again. This time Iíve searched and canít find the solution..

2013 rxpx 204 hours - supercharger has been rebuilt @ 185hr

riding with full power the machine shut off. I tried several times to restart it only makes a thud/click sound. When I put my hand on the starter and try to crank I can feel the starter trying to turn but seems jammed. Pulled plugs and valve cover and all seems normal. I pulled the pump to spin the engine driveshaft with splined nut and it turns/rotates, although the valve train doesnít move and the pistons donít move within the cylinders while turning driveshaft.

Why can I turn the driveshaft and the engine doesnít rotate?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by impwc View Post
    First post as many of you have solved my issues by simply reading here time and time again. This time Iíve searched and canít find the solution..

2013 rxpx 204 hours - supercharger has been rebuilt @ 185hr

riding with full power the machine shut off. I tried several times to restart it only makes a thud/click sound. When I put my hand on the starter and try to crank I can feel the starter trying to turn but seems jammed. Pulled plugs and valve cover and all seems normal. I pulled the pump to spin the engine driveshaft with splined nut and it turns/rotates, although the valve train doesnít move and the pistons donít move within the cylinders while turning driveshaft.

Why can I turn the driveshaft and the engine doesnít rotate?
    Broken flywheel bolts?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Broken flywheel bolts?
    I would expect the cylinders and valve train to move when rotating the driveshaft. The flywheel attaches to the crank. I removed the supercharger inlet hose and touched the supercharger impeller, it seems the supercharger gear is still riding the flywheel.

does anyone else have a guess or have had similar issue?

+1
    So with spark plugs removed you can spin driveshaft easy?
    But engine will still not turn?

I would think broken driveshaft at engine side. Remove driveshaft to verify.
    Possible this happened when the flywheel bolts broke and locked up the flywheel thus the engine.

For sure you can prepare to pull engine out or remove PTO cover when engine stays. Different opinions here on GH about this.

+1
    If engine seized at high rpm, could have stripped driveshaft splines? Saw a friends machine that rod broke at high rpm & seized but did not window the block somehow. RR

+1
    My 14 rxt x did the exact same thing at 78 hrs. Ski started off on a pass and wouldnt restart. I could spin the supercharger but not the engine. All the flywheel bolts sheered off.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicbrut View Post
    My 14 rxt x did the exact same thing at 78 hrs. Ski started off on a pass and wouldnt restart. I could spin the supercharger but not the engine. All the flywheel bolts sheered off.
    Exact same thing with my 14 and 65 or so hours two years ago. New engine and flywheel under warranty and I sold it and have a 17 px with a new warranty. Sucks you canít keep these things after warranty even stock without a substantial risk. The cost would have been $6k

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Why can I turn the driveshaft and the engine doesn’t rotate?

as stated, the flywheel bolts have failed

I'd plan on pulling the engine, you'll have some cleanup to do as the stator is toast, and you want to account for every single bolt with a forensic layout of all the bolt debris. getting the broken off bolts out while the engine is still in ain't fun.

There are very few circumstances where you would want leave the engine in place to do this work. You can typically rent an engine crane for under $100 for a long weekends work

Thread Information