Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

+1
    That's great! Looks awesome.

Do you know if I would I have to remove the speakers to install? Also, did it come with instructions?

+1
    No you will not need to remove your speakers if your not installing the transducer..and here is a link for some ( online instructions )

would you please post pic of the the whole ski.. just wondering how it looks. tku

+1
    sure will do when am back in town and have it all ready to go

+1
    If I am not installing the fish finder do I still need the power supply fish finder harness (278003673)?

Never mind, forgot you already answered this!

Angry

I am just starting this installation on my 2018 RXT-X 300. Anyone got pics of the transducer install? I am planning to use 3M DP420 epoxy for mine. Is this a reasonable choice? The BRP instructions for installing this option are pretty poor.

Speaking of poor instructions, I just ran into a fairly unpleasant snag: I cannot attach the mounting bracket to my outer skin. Here is a picture of the RH mirror area of mine sitting on the garage floor.

Note the difference in the size and shape of the recess for the bolt hole; it is much smaller than on the OP's 2019 RXT-X 300 for which he shared pictures of he installation earlier in this thread. Though the picture is rather poor, here I am holding the GPS mounting bracket against the outer skin, and the small bolt recess prevents them from mating correctly.

Referring to OEM parts fiche, it looks like the part number for the outer skin has changed. For my 2018 RXT-X 300 it is 269502266 ("Outer skin"), but for 2019 it is 269502394 ("Storage Bin Console and Mirror Support"). Since the latter part number is also used on the 2019 FishPro and the part number of the piece to which this mounts has not changed (269502265) between 2018 ("Inner Skin") and 2019 ("Inner Console Support") I am pretty confident I can just swap in the 2019 piece and go on my way, but naturally it would be nice if BRP had shared that detail in the installation instructions. Of course, I'll also need new engine decals on the new outer skin and will have to transfer the left side mirror over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190602_172202.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	449187   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190602_172234.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	449188  
    Last edited by sjevtic; 06-03-2019 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Added info on install problems

+1
    Would be awesome to have definitive parts lists for the various retrofit scenarios.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by miami salt life View Post
    I was trying to purchase the mounts/brackets by themselves and the garmin unit separate as I think its too expensive the way they sell it. Also wasn't planning to install the transducer.

But yes, definitely post some pictures!
    It def seems like it's overpriced, but tough to say as there's no breakdown of the "echosounder assembly" kit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SeaDooGarmin.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	450748  

Quote Originally Posted by SnackCracker View Post
    It def seems like it's overpriced, but tough to say as there's no breakdown of the "echosounder assembly" kit.
    There actually is a breakdown of the component part numbers included in the kit. It is in the instruction sheet:

http://instructions.brp.com/content/...l_part_number=

And yes, the kit does seem expensive. But the problem here is that the transducer (278003613) is apparently something that Garmin made custom for BRP, and for which BRP wants to charge you a lot (>$400 for the transducer alone).

And on top of the price, I don't really like the transducer that BRP is offering. It's an in-hull transducer that mounts to a ring bracket that you have to glue to the hull. That ring in turn must be filled with liquid (instructions specify the regular engine coolant) to act as a transmission medium so that the sonar goes through the hull. There are two issues here: first, your glue must make a perfect seal between the hull and the ring so that the coolant doesn't just flow out. The instructions call for 5-minute epoxy, but I opted for 5200 since it is flexible; 5-minute epoxy on the other hand is usually pretty brittle, and I feared that vibration could ultimately cause cracks that would lead to coolant leaks. So far so good on that front. However, I'm still losing coolant from time time to time, and it appears that it must be through the top. The clips on the ring that hold the transducer in are not very strong, and it appears that they can give enough to let coolant escape. I'm slowly working my way through zip tie configurations to see if I can reduce the leakage. I'm also wondering if I could use some sort of gel, which by virtue of its viscosity might be less inclined to leak out. So far, every time I have tried to call Garmin support to ask about this though the wait time has been well over an hour and haven't had the patience to wait.

Now, that said, I think you have some options here. First, if you're just looking for basic navigation, you could simply have no transducer, especially since you said you weren't interested in it. And, if you do really want sonar, Garmin makes a variety of standard transducers that are compatible with the ECHOMAP Plus 6x models. The BRP-branded transducer looks a lot like the $200 Garmin GT15M-IH, though the ring bracket is definitely a bit different. I also haven't done any detailed analysis on just how similar they actually are or aren't under the hood. At a minimum, I believe you would need an adapter cable to hook this up to an ECHOMAP Plus 6x. There are also the standard transom mount options (seems like a bad idea for a ski since it lands on its transom a lot) as well as through hull options. If you're willing to drill a hole in the bottom of your ski, one of the bronze-housed units seems like it might be a decent choice. There would be no coolant nonsense, and I would expect the bronze housing to be able to withstand the severe beating a ski takes.

10. +1 by:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information