Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Briefly Idle '06 FX Without Oil During Oil Change?

This might be a dumb question, but I was just wondering whether it would harm a ski to start and idle it for a few seconds to suck the last of the oil out of the reservoir.

Assuming I warm up the ski before the oil change, would it hurt the motor to run it for 10 seconds at idle to pump the last of the oil out?

Since the engine is already well coated with oil, and there's some oil in the motor, just thought it might not do any harm.
    Thanks in advance...

+1
    Sure...go ahead...the oil is really not needed anyway. Yamaha just puts it in there to make you spend more money....lol. DO NOT EVER CRANK THE SKI WITHOUT OIL IN IT!!!!!!!! What kind of question is that anyway????

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_Dave View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but I was just wondering whether it would harm a ski to start and idle it for a few seconds to suck the last of the oil out of the reservoir.

Assuming I warm up the ski before the oil change, would it hurt the motor to run it for 10 seconds at idle to pump the last of the oil out?

Since the engine is already well coated with oil, and there's some oil in the motor, just thought it might not do any harm.
    Thanks in advance...

don't EVER do THAT!

you'd be better off NEVER changing the oil!

By the way, using a bic lighter to check your fuel level is a no-no also

oh yeah, make sure never to lend your ski out to strangers and for Pete's sake...

brush your teeth after every meal and floss daily.

that's worth over $70 an hour in the long run.

Use the saving to pay somebody to do your maintenance.

ok..we're done funning at you now.

to get the remaining 4 oz of oil out, crank the engine with the spark plugs out and grounded to the cylinder head

Thanks for the definitive answer - I'm glad I asked! No cranking the motor w/o oil - unless the plugs are out.

+1
    After you drain the sump, there is still almost 3 quarts of oil in the motor... enough to supply the oil pump and maintain oil pressure. If you run it for a few seconds, the motor will push more oil into the sump without harming your motor.

But there's a much better way to drain all of the oil on the FXHO motor (not the FX140). There is a drain plug at the very bottom of the motor in the rear. It will make a mess in the hull, but there are ways to control the mess. I usually get an aluminum pan (thin one that comes with take-out food) and get it under the plug. It will overflow quickly, so you have to pump the oil out of the pan as it's dripping out.

If you don't want to pull the plug, or have an FX140, changing the oil as directed by the service manual will replace about half of the oil. If you run the motor to mix the new oil with the old, then drain and replace half of the oil again, you will have effectively replaced 75% of the oil.

+1
    I advise my Yamaha customers about the half oil business and give then a good price on a mid season quick change ( no filter) if they are in the habit of towing tubes. Yamaha engines are pretty high quality, even so I wouldn't go with the suggested service intervals ( 100hr on a filter..that's three seasons for some people)

somebody at one time sold a kit to allow you to drain all the oil from that lower bolt.

suggested if you run a fly board or are always towing a tube or water ski

Great info, thanks!

My research seems to indicate a 4.5qt total oil capacity for the MR-1?

+1
    Putin what you suck out + 8oz for the filter

Overfilling is bad, makes a mess and sometimes ruins the air filter on Yamahas

+1
    NO!!!!!!

+1
    Let me know when and if you do this and what parts are for sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information