Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

2015 Triton Elite WCII spindle bent

I have a 2015 Triton Elite WCII trailer (torsion axle) that came with a ski that I recently purchased. I noticed that the left wheel appeared to lean in at the top towards the trailer and there was wear on the inner tire tread. I removed the hub to check the bearings and found that the spindle is slightly bent upwards. Can the spindles be replaced or am I looking at an entire new axle? I don't want to have them heated and bent back in place as I believe that will weaken them. Any suggestions on where to purchase new parts or axles at a good price? Thanks in advance.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I bought a custom order Torflex torsion axle as replacement for my Triton trailer. Including shipping the axle cost was about $400 from Eastern Marine, custom built and drop shipped from the manufacturer.

My understanding is that the torsion axles used by Triton are not (reasonably) repairable when bent. There are multiple rubber cords inside the axle beam that provide the suspension function. I doubt they would like to be torch heated.

Your first call might be to Triton factory to ask them what a replacement axle might cost.

+1
    K447, thanks. It doesn't seem like the spindles are easily replaced in any way. They have the factory replacement at Eastern Marine for about $693 shipped. Ouch.... I found some adjustable ones but they are not galvanized and the size is not exact. I will look into the Torflex and if I don't have any luck maybe I'll just suck it up and go with the factory replacement. If I do that I will pretty much have a new trailer as everything else is in great condition...

+1
    Besides the obvious of extra tire wear, are there any issues with pulling the trailer with a slightly bent spindle? It's about 15 miles of non highway each way to the boat ramp. Just want to know if I am stuck on dry land till I can fork out the cash for a new axle of if I am ok for a few trips...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator Kev View Post
    Besides the obvious of extra tire wear, are there any issues with pulling the trailer with a slightly bent spindle?

It's about 15 miles of non highway each way to the boat ramp. Just want to know if I am stuck on dry land till I can fork out the cash for a new axle of if I am ok for a few trips...
    I guess it depends on how bent it is, at what angles (camber versus toe-in/out), and whether the wheel bearings are being stressed.

If there is a failure of the bearing/hub/whatever while the trailer in transit anywhere between launch ramp and home, are you OK with fixing it roadside or calling a flatbed tow truck?

With the spindle bent the inner hub grease seal may not be properly sealing, so there is some possibility of water seeping into the bearing. A bearing buddy would help keep the water out.

+1
    Thanks, to me it is slightly bent but that might one be because I want to go out on my skis... I actually had to keep looking at the tire/rim as it just didn't seem right to me so it wasn't a "wow that is messed up" thing. Kind of looked like it was from weight at first (I'm well within the weight limits). The spindle is bent upwards so the top of the tire is leaning in toward the trailer. when I pulled the hub I didn't see any stress or cracks on the spindle and had to really look at it to tell it was bent. I planned on replacing the bearings with new ones anyways since they aren't too expensive and it is good piece of mind to know they were new and greased well. I guess with new bearings I could get a trip or two to the ramp till I get the axle. Maybe pick up one of those hub kits from West Marine just in case.... Thanks for the info and tip on the bearing buddies... Do you use them on your Triton? Wondering how they work with they system that we have...

+1
    ... bearing buddies... Wondering how they work with the [grease] system that we have...
    Depends on which version you have on your spindles.

When injecting new grease in via the zerk fitting, does the old grease push out the backside of the spindle or does the old grease push out the front/outside of the hub, where the grease gun fitting is?

+1
    My double has the one with the little plastic cap that is removed to add the grease which pushes the old out the front of the hub. The fitting is directly on the spindle My single Triton has the cap with the fitting on it and pushes old out the back. I guess the bearing buddies won't work too well on the one that pushes out the front....

+1
    My double has the one with the little plastic cap that is removed to add the grease which pushes the old out the front of the hub. The fitting is directly on the spindle

My single Triton has the cap with the fitting on it and pushes old out the back.

I guess the bearing buddies won't work too well on the one that pushes out the front....
    The Bearing Buddies ONLY work on the system that pushes the old grease out the front. *

The bearing buddy replaces the factory dust cap after you have pumped fresh grease through the hub. Then you pump a little more grease in via the zerk on the Bearing Buddy. That creates a spring tension and mild positive pressure on the trapped grease inside the hub.

The slightly pressurized grease presses gently against the hub grease seal on the rear of the hub. It is this mild pressure that keeps the water out. If the seal leaks a little it will allow grease out, but water will not come in.

As long as the Bearing Buddy has enough grease to keep the indicator extended it will continue to maintain grease pressure.

When you want to replace the old grease you must remove the Bearing Buddy, then pump grease through the hub and allow the old grease to exit the front side of the hub.

With the other grease system where the old grease exits the rear of the spindle the Bearing Buddy cannot maintain a positive pressure on the trapped grease. The pressurized grease just slowly escapes out the back until the spring tension is gone.

* Bearing Buddy also works with hubs/spindles that have no grease change system at all, the traditional hub/spindle design.

+1
    Ok, that makes a lot of sense.... Thanks for taking the time to help me learn about this stuff. Probably with the new bearings, and the Bearing Buddy system along with what I believe to be a slight bend, I should be able to monitor it and get a few trips to/from the water till I get the new axle.

BTW, any tips for easily cleaning up the aluminum Triton and keeping it that way? Love them but they seem to get a little dull and dingy...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information