Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    Maybe a bung extender? Or the innovate heat sink.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DanSVHO View Post
    Maybe a bung extender? Or the innovate heat sink.
    Thats kind of what I was assuming they were talking about. Just looked up the innovate heatsink and it looks interesting. Wouldn't a bung extender or even the innovate heatsink reduce the accuracy of the O2 sensor though. I know on my old Mazdaspeed 3 that I was running a catless downpipe on, I used one of those extenders to trick the ECU. So wouldn't the same thing apply here?

+1
    I use the innovative heat sink. Protects the sensor from water splashes. has a hole you a line with incoming flow, and the it exits down. Not sure how it would change the reading as its reading the same exhaust weather out in the open pipe, or protected some with that same air going across the sensor.

I used the heat sink in my 09 fz and it did help it last longer but still only 2-3 short rides which was bad. Now it seams there can be a water leak in the jacket causing this but I was un aware.

on this ski I have the Riva adapter, and used the heat sink in it. coming from my last one I was super carful with sensors. so I would ride ski and warm it up, and then stop somewhere and install sensor, test ride and then pull it back out. I did that the first time testing. sensor was fine.

second time I did it I did the same and then had a boost pipe pop off, and rode in limped... and left sensor in. and when ot on trailer pulled it, it ws bone dry.... and still working fine. so next time I think I plan to run it the whole time and see how it does.

I am working on this same thing right now!

What about the bung extender, where u would maybe be taking the senor out of the direct exhaust stream? Will doing this mess up the afr readings or does sensor have to be down directly in the exhaust stream?

+1
    I would use the heat sink before the bung extender.

the heat sink still goes down into the stream with a metal cavity, this cavity has a hole in the front side so the exhaust flows into the cavity.

your wide band sensor is in side the cavity, and then it exits out the bottom of the heat sink as exhaust gas passes it creating suction.

so in thearoy its constantly moving exhaust gase through the cavity inside the heat sink where the wide band is protected but still seeing the exhaust gas in a live stream format.

I know on mine I can see no change or difference in delay of changes using it.

+1
    It sounds like the heat sink option might do the trick. Deff worth giving it a shot. My last Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor was actually doing fine when I was pulling it from the ski after every use, but then I guess I got lazy and tried leaving it in and it died shortly after. At the very least I could easily make two logs, one with the heat sink and one without and make sure the readings are the same.

Yes I can see how the heat sink would definitely help!.. I already have a extended bung that should put the sensor just about at the top of the exhaust, it would not be down directly in center of exhaust, was think of trying it, haven't found a definite answer if it would affect afr readings or not though..
    Last edited by Jhb; 03-27-2020 at 06:28 AM.

+1
    I ran mine for a 3rd time yesterday the whole day. 20 starts and stops, and lots of idle, and was still alive. I did pull it when I got home, and am also now shove the hose of a wet vac up the through hull to suck the left over water out of the waterbox.

What diameter is the heat sink threads 18mm?

+1
    the same as the wide band o2. you just thread it in the bung, and then the sensor threads into it

The DOT on one of the 6 sides of the nut part indicates which way the forward hole is. you want it facing the exhaust source.

it was perfect on old ski then I dropped my washer and lost it. so I made one for new ski and had to grind it thinner and thinner till I got it perfect when tight in the riva adapter. I leave it in the adapter, and then swap the plug and sensors in and out of it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information