Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2013 FZS wonít start.

The ski is a 2013 FZS with no engine modifications. It just fell out of a five year warranty. Iíve never had an issue with the ski. This is the beginning of the season on Lake Erie. Our regular maintenance has been done on the ski. This season as usual spark plugs were changed battery was charged. Ski was running fine, took a ride to the beach and shut the engine off. When I went to restart there was no cranking of the engine. There were no indicating lights on the LED screen ( gas/hours ) only a green dot light appeared. Towed it back to the dock , Which I have read could be a problem. Took a multi meter to the battery which read 12.75 Volts . At this point the green dot on the dash doesnít illuminate either. Thereís still voltage on the battery ? Obviously an electrical issue, but I thought Iíd ask before him if they have run into this before? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

I did try the security key just for the heck of it. Nothing happens

Sounds like you can have a bad connection to the battery. Wiggle the battery wires and see if your lights/bildge pump kicks in

I did that on the beach and later at the dock , shit is tight. It’s time to trouble shoot. I was just wondering if anyone has experience this. Just because all I did was turn it off and it wouldn’t come back on. I tried to hit it with a battery booster too . No luck

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Did you try the security fob and lock unlock it?

Yes , nothing happens. No chirps no lights. I guess I need to just get the meter out and start looking. Thanks

+1
    Check your fuses, specifically both the 20a & 30a... The stack of fuses on the right are the active ones (the stack on the left are the spares).

Thanks, I will check this weekend

Arrived back out to the unit today, checked the fuses and they were all good. I noticed when I push the start button I could hear a noise coming from the fuse box area. I tracked it down to a relay. I went on the Yamaha parts ( exploded view ) looks like it’s relay number 18. There is also a relay 19, and a starter relay. All these components look like they could be related to the problem. Not sure I have to buy all the relays? Not sure what the dealership would’ve done. Hopefully they’re in stock. All three parts would run me about 300 bucks . If it fixes the problem I could live with that .

+1
    I know this may sound strange, but try swapping the battery. I have had this exact same issue. I pulled the battery from my other machine and it started and ran fine. Bought a new battery.

See if you can find a battery you can borrow first.

Voltage can be fine but load testing can fail. Doesn’t mean the battery can produce the current needed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information