How many kawi ultra owners have experienced valve float?

I own a 14 kawi 310ultra and im curious to know how common of an issue this valve float is on these machines. I currently run the maxtunerx tune on it and id like to know if this is actually a common occurance because everywhere i see they offer the valve train upgrade to prevent it so i figured if they offered that, then there must be an issue

+1
    Iím at 155 hrs on mine and itís been trouble free to this point(knock on wood). Havenít seen many that have had the issue, I think the kit is more or less for if you plan to turn a lot more rpm than stock. If youíre running the stock cams and staying under 8300ish I doubt the valves would cause you any trouble.

I have the riva stage two 8800 rpm tune with just riva intake and riva exhaust. Was just concerned that if im out enjoying the day that its just gonna bend a valve on me if im out riding.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfausey86 View Post
    I have the riva stage two 8800 rpm tune with just riva intake and riva exhaust. Was just concerned that if im out enjoying the day that its just gonna bend a valve on me if im out riding.
    It’s just the limiter that’s at 8800 right? As long as you aren’t sustaining 8500+ rpm I’d think you’re ok on the stock valvetrain.

+1
    if you need to upgrade the valvetrain use the APE items....not overpriced and same quality

http://aperaceparts.com/water/watervalvetrain.html

6. +1 by:

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    On the na motors, valve float shouldnt happen until well over 10k since they are basically zx12r heads, with boost its a different story. Mike might know the limit since he runs a turbo setup but he also doesnt run stock valvetrain.

Sean

8. +1 by:

Thank you for the input, hopefully i can find some solid info on what the actual limits are so i can rest at ease

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfausey86 View Post
    Thank you for the input, hopefully i can find some solid info on what the actual limits are so i can rest at ease
    I can almost guarantee you’ll be fine on the stock valvetrain. There are people who have run much more extensive mods on stock valves and been fine. You shouldn’t be turning much more rpm than stock with your mods, and on stock boost I don’t think you have any reason to worry. All the 8800rpm tune does is makes it so you could set it up for high rpm if you wanted, doesn’t mean you’ll actually be running that high on a stock engine and prop though. The tune itself makes little to no difference in top end rpm. It’s more of a bottom end-mid range mod, it just adds ignition timing and adjusts the fuel curve.

The kit they offer is more for superstock/open class race skis running every mod you could buy and then some. They’re running higher boost and rpms than the stock valvetrain was designed to withstand, so they might would encounter valve float, hence the need for the kit.
    Last edited by DH300; 05-25-2019 at 12:20 AM.

+1
    Even if you did mod it to the moon and get over 8500 you could just run a taller prop to get the rpms back down. A lot cheaper and easier than replacing the valvetrain. I don’t think you’d ever need to spin it up that high unless you’re running more aggressive cams. These motors are pretty happy in the 7900-8200 range.

Awesome thank you

Thread Information