Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New owner of a slt700 with low compression

I recently got a 96 slt 700 with compression readings of 30 in front and 120 rear. I am going to pull the head and see what is going on with it, but do not know what exactly I will be looking for. Obvious things like scoring on the walls and cracked piston/rings I get, but is there anything else I should be looking for? Is there anything I should do to it before I pull the head like a leakdown test (which I am unsure of the precedure for)?

I have some automotive mechanical experience, but no 2 stroke/carb experience. So I feel comfortable doing the work myself.

Thanks for the help fellas!

The head o-ring was old and brittle and broke during removal. Is there any chance that's all it was? There is some slight scoring, but I dont have any idea if it would be enough to drop compression to 30 psi.

+1
    The first picture at about the 7 o clock position, is that debris or damage ?
    Ring end gap looks good- usually the o-ring stays soft-it might be combustion that made it brittle.
    I would try an o-ring and check compression again.

sometimes the o-ring could be found on amazon. 3.471 x 3.611 x .07

watercraftsuperstore sells o-ring kits.

Here's another pic after cleaning up a littleClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190524_184108.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	448778

Dang camera flipped on me when snapping that last one. But the left side of the 3rd picture is a close up of the bottom of the 1st picture.

+1
    I would try an o-ring, even if it was just out of the other cylinder.

Got an oring set for both sides on the way. I dont think the other one will make it when pulled off. I'll update after the new oring is in. Thanks for the help!

Well got the new oring in and now I have just more than 0 psi (enough to bleed off the gauge, but not enough to register much). Weird thing is I have 90 on the rear now and I didnt touch that one. Even if it's a faulty gauge there's not enough in the front cylinder to do much more without some work.

If the rear really has 90 psi, and I opt to just rebuild the top end on the front will there be any adverse effects from such a difference in compression?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information