Solas 13/18 vs 13/20 Why Bother With 13/18 If Modded?

It seems like a lot of people buy the 13/18 impeller but then they have to repitch the impeller because they are turning too many rpms, so why not just get a 13/20 instead?

I initially saw this when reading the sticky post from the Green Hulk GP1800 build where it was hitting the 8800rpm limiter with a 13/18 and stage 2 mods setup. Pitch was then added to bring the rpms down. I have come across a handful more comments where people have to add pitch so it seems like a waste to me getting the 13/18 if you are more than stage 1 or 1+ no? Stage 2 seems to be a super common setup and I assume most wouldn't want to have to bother with doing retainers and spinning real high rpms so why not just go 13/20 right off the rip and save some headache of having to take the ski back apart?

Am I missing something on why the 13/18 is chosen over the 13/20 so much when you just end up repitching it?

Just my 2 cents, I have a 2018 GP1800 and am 1 of the guys who wishes he had gone 13/20. My wish has no actual facts but personal feel. On calm/slight chop I cruise at about 75% throttle, 7200ish rpms and 68-70mph. When going WOT, my speed will instantly increase to 78-82mph @ 8500 rpms. I just don’t like the way the motor screams at 8500 and that’s nothing more than personal reasons.

I would gladly have sacrificed a little mid range knowing that I could run same MPH and lower RPM. Seems like only 1 person said it was stupid but listed no factual info to back it up. A lot of other members who Ive seen contribute a lot of info said it was worth a try to go with a 13/20.

It seems like somebody could be of great service to our community here by doing a comparison. I would gladly supply my prop or swap a supplied prop and do some unbiased testing.

What modifications do you have, stage 1+ or 2? I am also of the thinking to be easier on the engine (lower rpms) run the 13/20 and figure it would be a hair better for "mileage" as well if cruising long distances. I have a 2017 GP1800 and currently have a Worx air intake, ribbon delete and 2019 ride plate with Riva 1+ tune on stock impeller and it pulls hard now so even just a hair better with a 13/20 would be more than acceptable while having the benefit of less rpm for engine longevity and mpg.

Thank you for posting this - I just picked up a 2019 and plan to go stage 2 in the next 2 weeks. Wondering this same thing.

Urban worm, your thought are exact same as mine. I run Riva Stage 1 plus Aggressive Throttle response and all supporting mods. I can tell you my 13/18 pulls hard all the way to top speed. I too would be happy to pull a bit harder than stock but run my numbers at a lower rpm.

Texas347, I would really like to know the differences between Stage 1+ and Stage 2. What more is there besides higher RPM limit. I’m all for the intercooler but why not run Stage 1+ which I would guess has more timing and the 13/20 to turn lower RPMs ?

I regret going 13/18, wish I would have picked up a 13/20 from the start.

What is considered the “safe limit” of RPM if you have titanium keepers and like to do long river rides where you may be WOT for a while?

+1
    13/20 running 8,750 rpm @ 87.4 mph... Pleased with my choice of impeller. no cavitation issues, and get better fuel milage then my buddy's stock gp when we cruise 50-70mph range.

Kind of surprised, I figured there would be more talking going about this.

I think you had your answer like I did before you put the post up. It currently 92 here in Dallas, as soon as it’s 100 degrees I will see how bad weather effects top speed. If I can still hit 80, I’m going to a 13/20. Serval threads over the last few days that have me convinced if I’m willing to give a little mid range pull that I will be happy. Then I will have a slightly used 13/18 for sale.

Thread Information