Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

waverunner fzs 1800 timing chain snapped!!

hi guys,

i brought a fzs 1800 2014 yesterday from a friend, after about an hour on the water the thing just come to a stop, pulled it back in sounded like no compression, removed the valve cover and the timing chain is completely snapped in half, had a look online and it seams others have had this problem, its just hit 150hours? i no its out of warranty but there must be some sort of fault with this design, anyway as I'm guessing yamaha won't be interested in it as the warranty is now out, what are my options with getting this sorted, i am a car engineer so I'm not a novice, any help where to get parts ect will be great, also does this engine hit the valves? thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Where are you located? You can click My Profile in top right of web site to add your location info

Might be GH members nearby that could assist in some manner.

i am in england

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 306kev View Post
    hi guys,

i brought a fzs 1800 2014 yesterday from a friend, after about an hour on the water the thing just come to a stop, pulled it back in sounded like no compression, removed the valve cover and the timing chain is completely snapped in half, had a look online and it seams others have had this problem, its just hit 150hours? i no its out of warranty but there must be some sort of fault with this design, anyway as I'm guessing yamaha won't be interested in it as the warranty is now out, what are my options with getting this sorted, i am a car engineer so I'm not a novice, any help where to get parts ect will be great, also does this engine hit the valves? thanks

The best thing you can do is upgrade to the 2016 style chain so you are sure to not have this issue again. This kit comes complete with everything you need
    2016 Yamaha Timing Chain Engine Upgrade Kit

This kit contains all parts needed to upgrade to the much stronger 2016 timing chain upgrade. Kit contains the following components: Crankshaft...
    2016 upgrade kit $1,498.00

Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    The best thing you can do is upgrade to the 2016 style chain so you are sure to not have this issue again. This kit comes complete with everything you need
    2016 Yamaha Timing Chain Engine Upgrade Kit

This kit contains all parts needed to upgrade to the much stronger 2016 timing chain upgrade. Kit contains the following components: Crankshaft...
    2016 upgrade kit $1,498.00

Jerry, What is recommendation on swapping even the newer style chain ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 306kev View Post
    i brought a fzs 1800 2014 yesterday from a friend
    Must not be a good friend, a good friend would not sell a 2014-2015 SVHO to another friend

I no. He was running good before. Sounds like a design fault. Does this engine cause piston to valve damage?

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I believe it's a interfearance motor

+1
    Take it to local dealer odds are Yamaha will cover it even without warranty and you end up with new engine with upgraded chain

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmike View Post
    Take it to local dealer odds are Yamaha will cover it even without warranty and you end up with new engine with upgraded chain
    This is what I recommend too. Yamaha knows it is a common design flaw, so if you have a quality dealer near you, they will likely help you with Yamaha. Yamaha fixed my transom leak without hesitation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information