Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

05 Stage 3 RXP Value?

I have always been "2-stroke only" and intend to stay that way but I have a friend tempting me...

He has a clean freshwater 05RXP with a Riva Stage 3 kit on it. This was probably built about ten years ago. He says it's 280-285HP and it has not been used much or had any issues. Now it has sat 2 seasons and needs a battery at least.

What would a great deal on this be? Do I really even want it?

+1
    I don't know what they go for in your area. I just sold my 06 stage 3 Riva for $3500. I guess this gives a number you can work around. It had all the goodies but display was shot.

+1
    pull the plugs and hit the cylinders with wd and let it sit over night then cold compression test it. 120+ is what you're looking for.

Thanks for the responses guys. I guess a good question would be "how much is it worth broken?" I'm just wondering how deep the downside is if I took a chance on it for 3Kish.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Braley View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys. I guess a good question would be "how much is it worth broken?" I'm just wondering how deep the downside is if I took a chance on it for 3Kish.
    Broken it's only worth the parts you can strip off and sell. Not going to make 3k doing that. You say it's been sitting for a couple of seasons.. hummm. If fuel was left in it then prob a new fuel pump and basket as the ethanol rusts up the pump and makes the fuel level sender brittle and the wire harness inside tends to fall apart. New battery, might as well clean the injectors and a regular run of the mill tuneup.. 3kish not running is too much. That's a $1500 dollar ski if the parts and hull are in ok condition. Shite I have another 06 but stage 2 not 3. It runs like a raped ape. Only thing needed to make it a stage 3 is the ecu tune. I'll let it go for 3k.

+1
    These prices are far to low imho unless there is something wrong with the ski. Look at what stock rxp’s are going for in your area on Craigslist. A good running rxp in the Austin area is tough to find under 4K bone stock. I paid $4500 for my 06 rxp last year in Arkansas and it needed some tlc but ran good and had 170 hrs. On Guam skis go for almost double what they do stateside. New vxr from Yamaha is 20k and they have no seadoo dealerships on island. Even old used skis on island are crazy expensive and people buy them right away. Point is, prices vary by market and condition. You need to know the condition of the ski otherwise it’s just a crapshoot.

+1
    People are scared of modified skis. There are so many amateurs putting go fast parts on these and selling grenades. An older immaculate ski, around me at least, will pull the same price as a very modded ski. You mod your craft knowing you're going to lose your ass on the back end. I've lost money on every single thing I've built including the custom boat I just sold.

8. +1 by:

That all makes good sense. He seems willing to sell it to me reasonably so I'll probably take a chance on it. I appreciate the input.

+1
    Sounds like my buddies ski here in Ga...his is just about perfect ..How many hours ? If it runs well... good compression ect I think it is a steal....awesome ski with no stuffing problems..

+1
    I was always a 2 stroke guy, but once you buy a 4stroke you'll never go back. You cant loose at 3k, especially if it runs. Most people that sell mod skis put them back to stock before selling them, and then sell all the mod parts. Only way to recoup some of your investment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information