Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 12 vane 15f

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Without adding more power you won't see a big difference with a big pump. It comes down to a tradeoff in efficiency up high vs down low. There is no free lunch.

Anecdotally, on my na motor with higher comp pistons and zx cams, I overspun an ultra lx prop but didn't quite make enough power for the 250x prop. I think it ran 68 or 69 with that setup on a really shitty tuneup.

Be prepared to cut quite a bit out of the shoe, on my ski it picked up a substantial amount of speed once I allowed the pump to be fed correctly.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Without adding more power you won't see a big difference with a big pump. It comes down to a tradeoff in efficiency up high vs down low. There is no free lunch.

Anecdotally, on my na motor with higher comp pistons and zx cams, I overspun an ultra lx prop but didn't quite make enough power for the 250x prop. I think it ran 68 or 69 with that setup on a really shitty tuneup.

Be prepared to cut quite a bit out of the shoe, on my ski it picked up a substantial amount of speed once I allowed the pump to be fed correctly.

Sean
    Good to know. Might have to try one for s&g once I recover from buying this one. I imagine the 148mm may have been holding you back with all that extra power. I have only done an intake and enough air mods to make sure it sinks quickly if I ever flip it, prob not making enough to need the 250 pump yet. haha.

+1
    I never actually got to run my ski on a 148 because I got the ski as a trashed salt rotted project. I picked up the 250x setup for less than it cost to find a decent 148 so I ran that instead. Guessing here, the 148 is probably okay to 180-200ish hp before you start blowing the vanes out. The tunnel and shoe is more likely the limiting factor. On the old custom race hulls the 15f bottom was used (prior to the ultra coming out) but with a much bigger tunnel.

Sean

+1
    Finally got to test the new Solas pump yesterday. I was a little skeptical looking at the ad seeing that it claimed to help literally every aspect of performance, but I can tell you now it truly does. Perhaps the biggest improvement was in acceleration, it pulls quite a bit harder than stock all through the range, bottom(especially bottom) to top. Hookup in corners drastically improved as well. It no longer comes unhooked and slides out every time you lean a little too much or try to throttle out of corners. I didnít get much time or clean water for speed runs as I was shooting between thunderstorms, but I managed to get 63.9 mph with a full tank, only 1.1 mph off my previous best with the stock pump. 10/10 would recommend. It really improves the ski all around.

+1
    Good to know about the solas pump. ��
    What ride plate and sponsons are you using? I haven't altered my stx15f yet, but thinking about it. I ride at 4000ft elevation and higher usually, which I know robs me of power and speed.

Thats a sexy pump. I want one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryanfunfishing View Post
    Good to know about the solas pump. ��
    What ride plate and sponsons are you using? I haven't altered my stx15f yet, but thinking about it. I ride at 4000ft elevation and higher usually, which I know robs me of power and speed.
    I’m running an STX-R plate and stock sponsons. It’s a solid handling setup but it’s mainly to get the ski on plane quicker. The STXR plate seems to be a lot more dependent on how much you lean in vs the stock one. If you want to mod it and need some help with a setup just PM me, I’d be happy to give you some pointers. Might have some extra parts laying around too.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by raven007 View Post
    Thats a sexy pump. I want one.
    No doubt. Well worth it if you got the money to spare imo.

Quote Originally Posted by DH300 View Post
    Finally got to test the new Solas pump yesterday. I was a little skeptical looking at the ad seeing that it claimed to help literally every aspect of performance, but I can tell you now it truly does. Perhaps the biggest improvement was in acceleration, it pulls quite a bit harder than stock all through the range, bottom(especially bottom) to top. Hookup in corners drastically improved as well. It no longer comes unhooked and slides out every time you lean a little too much or try to throttle out of corners. I didnít get much time or clean water for speed runs as I was shooting between thunderstorms, but I managed to get 63.9 mph with a full tank, only 1.1 mph off my previous best with the stock pump. 10/10 would recommend. It really improves the ski all around.
    So because you mentioned it i looked up on solas website. Theres two pumps now for the stx and sx-r. Which one did you buy? Solas says theres a new version and the old version is available thru existing stock.
    I agree with you; i dont wanna touch the engine but looking for more bolt on performance. other mods ive done are intake, riva exhaust bypass, 1100 R&D ride plate modified to fit stx.
    My prop rubber is ripped so i gotta get in there at some point.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta king 5150 View Post
    So because you mentioned it i looked up on solas website. Theres two pumps now for the stx and sx-r. Which one did you buy? Solas says theres a new version and the old version is available thru existing stock.
    I agree with you; i dont wanna touch the engine but looking for more bolt on performance. other mods ive done are intake, riva exhaust bypass, 1100 R&D ride plate modified to fit stx.
    My prop rubber is ripped so i gotta get in there at some point.
    Are you talking about the older model STX1100? Can you post a picture of the rideplate mod?

Sean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information