Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best battery to use 16 FZS that won’t die over the winter

What’s a good battery to buy? I have a 16 FZS and the stock battery goes bad every spring. Trickle charge for only a week before the spring start up. Any suggestions?

+1
    The cold kills the battery. If you keep it on the trickle charger thru out the winter it will stay fine. I have had good luck with both oem and odessey batteries.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hockey27925 View Post
    What’s a good battery to buy? I have a 16 FZS and the stock battery goes bad every spring. Trickle charge for only a week before the spring start up. Any suggestions?
    I keep mine on a battery tender. Never had a problem. I keep it on that tender as soon as i get back from the lake. Starts up perfect. I keep it on the tender all through winter as well.

+1
    You need to keep it on a battery tender all winter long and you won't have any issues.

Battery Tender, Junior

Battery Tender Junior's lightweight, compact size makes it ideal for those hard-to-fit spots. The trickled charger with a brain will assure batteries...
    212102 $39.95

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    What’s a good battery to buy?

I have a 2016 FZS and the stock battery goes bad every spring.

Trickle charge for only a week before the spring start up. Any suggestions?
    Did you leave the battery cables connected during winter storage? If yes, there are parasitic electrical loads that can slowly drain the battery while it sits.

Is your battery a traditional lead-acid battery or a sealed AGM battery?

Once a battery is drained and left that way it is weakened. Especially an old-school lead-acid (which includes the factory battery). It typically will not be able to fully recover even if later on it is re-charged.

Your battery did not go bad ‘in the spring’. It went bad during the winter when it slowly discharged and then was allowed to sit like that. If it was exposed to freezing temperatures while it was discharged then the battery tends to suffer even more.

My recommendation is an East-Penn (Deka) manufactured, factory sealed AGM battery, ETX series. Probably ETX16 is the size you need, but you can check that. ETX16L is the same battery but with the negative post on the opposite side, so check which way around you want the battery terminals oriented.

During winter, either take the battery out of the ski and store in a cool dry indoor location, or leave it in the ski.

If storing the battery in the ski, disconnect the battery negative cable. This prevents the ski electronics from draining the battery, but does not prevent internal self-discharge of the battery. Traditional lead-acid batteries can self-discharge in as little as 2-3 months.

Recommended battery maintenance

Whether stored indoors or in the hull, make sure a lead-acid battery (should already be fully charged) is connected to a battery maintainer (sometimes incorrectly referred to as a trickle charger) and connected to AC power for the entire winter.

With an AGM battery, if it is fully charged before storage you can get away with not using a battery maintainer during winter.

Still better to be stored indoors, and better again if you use an AGM compatible maintainer during the extended storage.

+1
    K447... Can you use the battery tender on an AGM battery? Just like I do for my factory battery? I keep mine on the tender all winter, it is garage kept, and also it stays in the ski and everything still hooked up normally to the skis electronics. I use alligator clips for positive and negative connections for my tender as well.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulse20098 View Post
    ... Can you use the battery tender on an AGM battery? Just like I do for my factory battery?

I keep mine on the tender all winter, it is garage kept, and also it stays in the ski and everything still hooked up normally to the skis electronics. ...
    Slightly tricky question, with an AGM battery.

The specified ‘float’ voltage for a fully charged AGM battery can be slightly different than for a traditional lead-acid battery. I do not know the actual float voltage specifications for the Battery Tender branded models, nor whether the voltage spec is the same for all their models.

I will point out that a maintainer is not necessarily the same as a small charger.

A proper charger will go through several stages of charging as it brings the partially discharged battery up to 100%. AFTER the battery is sitting at 100% charge, the charger (if it is of good design) will moderate the voltage coming from the charger to match the battery’s specified float voltage.

The exact float voltage the battery needs also varies a little with temperature, so a good charger will moderate the provided float voltage to match the sensed temperature.

A fully charged battery (AGM or traditional) sitting with the correct float voltage will neither charge nor discharge. It will just ‘float’ at 100% charge, for as long as the float voltage is provided.

A battery maintainer basically just delivers the float voltage, all the time. A maintainer may not (although it might) go though all the stages of bringing a (partially) discharged battery up to 100%. The maintainer is just intended to keep it at 100% charge, in float mode.

Hence my advice - Make sure the battery is already at 100% charge, then connect the maintainer for storage.

I use my ‘big’ BatteryMinder 128CEC charger to bring each battery to 100%, then let it float on that charger for a day or two, then switch it over to the maintainer. Then do the same thing with the next battery (we have several watercraft).

A very old-school term for this sort of thing was ‘trickle charger’, but the way those ancient trickle chargers worked is not suitable for these compact watercraft batteries. Any charger you might want to connect to a watercraft battery must be electronically controlled, and match the charge voltage cycle requirements of the battery you actually have.

I have installed polarized (and fused) pigtail leads in every watercraft. No battery clips, just directly plug the charger 12 volt cord into the watercraft pigtail lead.

+1
    I went to the odyssey pc 625 recently. Its working well so far but only in the ski a matter of weeks.

I ran and abused a pc625 for 7 years and was terrible at keeping a tender on it. Great battery.

Over last winter I took the stock battery out and stored it in my basement on the trickle charger (die hard) a (2amp). Started it up fine in the spring, rode it all day and then died when I tried to start it up when I got back to the ramp. Did the same thing this past winter, but did not hook it up to the charger until I was ready to start up the ski this past spring, just thinking it’s going to die

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information