Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Well, I'd have to see everything trn down but....a tiny bit off that plug did NOT break a rod. Beat up a piston, mangle a valve or two, sound nasty, yes. But that rod broke and slung out of the block. Right now I will support the nursing a bent rod for a while until it let go theory.

Incidentally, I'm a WSM dealer and we have new repro blocks with a new crankshaft for suggested retail of $1750.
    I know 3 of 4 plugs had the electrode completely burnt up. Plug 2 I think still had the electrode. Cylinder 1 threw the rod. If you've bought plugs off Amazon/Ebay recently, I'd say it's worth checking if they are genuine.

It did sound like it had a 'tick' or more noise at idle after removing the Iridium's and putting in new NGK non-iridium. I was likely listening to the engine more closely after all of that though. Again, I'm by no means an expert when it comes to engines.

I'll certainly keep you in mind if I decide to go with replacing the block . I've got some saving up and decisions to make.
    Last edited by vcbb10; 05-23-2019 at 08:58 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ocod View Post
    Not sure if this helps. You avatar doesn't say where you are from

You could sell extra engines parts to offset cost of used motor

https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa...875129600.html

edit: Yours Non SC.
    Part and buy new/used. I have a 2014 FX SHO jik
    Yeah, I have an MR-1 HO 160hp non-supercharged. I saw TimeBandit dropped a TR1 into an older FX-HO. That's more work than I could take on though.

I'm in Wichita, KS. Not exactly a hotbed for reselling parts/skis. Added my location to my profile.

+1
    Pull the head and you'll know more. If the failure was caused by long exposure to pre-ignition than all pistons will show serious damage. Pre-ignition will damage the piston, in theory and in extreme case if it goes unchecked it could cause the piston to break apart allowing the rod to swing wildly and window the block. Although if the piston broke apart the spark plug would most likely be squashed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Pull the head and you'll know more. If the failure was caused by long exposure to pre-ignition than all pistons will show serious damage. Pre-ignition will damage the piston, in theory and in extreme case if it goes unchecked it could cause the piston to break apart allowing the rod to swing wildly and window the block. Although if the piston broke apart the spark plug would most likely be squashed.
    The spark plug was squashed.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Squashed plug.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	117.8 KB 
ID:	448722  

It leaned out and had detonation it was blew the motor. Detonation will stress parts at 50hp and running like shit than a perfectly running engine at 200hp.

Other than determining that you had proper plugs, gonna be hard to pinpoint what caused the detonation.

Was it filled with new fuel ? Do you have a tune that requires 91+ octane and you got fuel less than required octane ?

+1
    Fuel was from last fall when it was winterized. Topped off with premium fuel and with Stabil added. No tune.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by vcbb10 View Post
    The spark plug was squashed.
    Oh right missed that, we're all just making logical guesses here, with the head off you might be able to tell what exactly went wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboX View Post
    It leaned out and had detonation it was blew the motor. Detonation will stress parts at 50hp and running like shit than a perfectly running engine at 200hp.

Other than determining that you had proper plugs, gonna be hard to pinpoint what caused the detonation.

Was it filled with new fuel ? Do you have a tune that requires 91+ octane and you got fuel less than required octane ?

Running wrong plugs may cause pre-ignition not detonation.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by vcbb10 View Post
    Fuel was from last fall when it was winterized.

Topped off with premium fuel and with Stabil added
    . ...
    Was Sta-Bil added to the fuel last fall when the machine was winterized?

Adding Sta-Bil in the spring does nothing for the old fuel. Sta-Bil slows the degradation of fresh gasoline, it cannot reverse the effects after degradation. Ethanol blended gasoline tends to degrade more, even with stabilizer added.

What percentage of the tank capacity was added as premium fuel this spring?

+1
    Stabil was added last fall as part of winterization. We do have I think up to 10% ethanol fuel here. No fuel was added this spring, this was the first time out. It was topped off last fall to prevent water condensation during winter storage.

Understood we're making logical guesses, probably all that can be done. Most of this is to find out what to do/not to do in the future for me and others.

Finding out there are fake NGK plugs to look out for could hopefully help others keep watch for those.

Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Oh right missed that, we're all just making logical guesses here, with the head off you might be able to tell what exactly went wrong.

Running wrong plugs may cause pre-ignition not detonation.
    Run a hotter plug than spec and you will too have pre ignition. I suspect it was bad fuel rather than plugs.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information