Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

+1

Transducer Wire Install - Drill hull?

I'm picking up the Garmin 43cv on Amazon because it's currently $194 and has all the US Lake Topo maps. I want the ability to see accurate current depth along with seeing where I might run into shallow spots.
    Installing on a 2019 FX Cruiser SVHO

I've see a lot of other installs, and here is what I'm hoping to do:
    * I'll use the ram mount to hold it. I have that all figured out.
    * Power is easy.
    * I really don't want to have the transducer wire sitting on the rear swim platform. That's asking for my kids to yank on it.

I saw the image below on Facebook and I thought that was pretty slick. Any concerns about drilling into the hull? Any other ideas?

My plan is to use a pre-made bracket, so I only have to drill one hole, the one for the wire.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	54191377_2002379593193741_3314862923058249728_o.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	448538  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Position the through hole as high as you can get it on the hull. There will be times when that area is at or below water level, so the higher up the less pressure.

Ensure there is sufficient sealant inside the cable pass through to make it 100% water tight. And continue to remain watertight even if the cable gets yanked on. 3M 4200 Fast Cure sealant works well, let it cure for several days before use.

Several of us using Garmin transducers on other Yamaha hull models found that the depth reading stopped working as hull speed increased. Even at 30mph it could lose bottom lock. Just too much water turbulence coming off the hull strakes and ride plate edge contours. Changing transducer depth behind the hull did not improve things much.

I ended up putting my transducer directly below the jet pump nozzle and directly behind the ride plate rear edge. Another with a different model Garmin did the same.

Custom mount bracket required but at least it would read depth more reliably at cruise speeds.

+1
    most transducer wires are long enough to run all the way around the rub rail tucked up underneath and come up over the nose passing under the front gunwale. That's my plan, no holes drilled. although right now i just have it taped down to the swim deck.
    I also agree with K447, the placement you show for the transducer is not great.

+1
    @K447, I picked up an aluminum plate, how did you attach the transducer to the metal, and how did you attach the aluminum to the ride plate?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ytechie View Post
    ... how did you attach the transducer to the metal, and how did you attach the aluminum to the ride plate?
    This might help

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthre...=1#post3010226

6. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks - that's what I'm going to copy!

+1
    Personally I would look at boat (not ski) transducers for my FX if I was interested, Faria is one such Mfr.

+1
    You can also mount it inside the hull. place it in a bag of water and try different locations for best results - you then need to glue it in place with a slow curing expoxy. Many have done this.

Tim

+1
    Right or wrong, here is what I did.

I didn't want to drill the huge 5/8" hole that was called for in the installation instructions. I instead drilled a 1/8" hole, and cut the transducer cable. Fed it through, and then spliced it in the middle by soldering, wrapping in aluminum foil, and used shrink tubing at each layer.

I used 3M 4300 sealant to secure the wire. Of course I also used zip ties so that it doesn't move.

Any thoughts? I'm not sure if this is better or worse.

Name:	2019-06-06 07.20.33.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	55.2 KB 
ID:	449337  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ytechie View Post
    Right or wrong, here is what I did.

I didn't want to drill the huge 5/8" hole that was called for in the installation instructions. I instead drilled a 1/8" hole, and cut the transducer cable. Fed it through, and then spliced it in the middle by soldering, wrapping in aluminum foil, and used shrink tubing at each layer.

Any thoughts? ...
    Did the transducer cable have a warning label attached or in the installation instructions that said ‘Do not cut the transducer cable’ ?

Does the spliced transducer provide proper readings in the water?

I have much larger holes than 5/8” in my watercraft for cables to pass through, depending on the connector diameter. Some are below the waterline (location was selected by the manufacturer). A proper marine grade waterproof cable pass through works well.

An example would be the Heyco Liquid Tight CordGrips

Name:	A4CC00F9-2201-4372-B238-D719413B82B5.gif 
Views:	115 
Size:	27.7 KB 
ID:	449338  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information