Question about sourcing a complete build guide for GP1200R

Hello everyone,
    Are there any books available for proven builds for the Yamaha GP1200R waverunner ? I have 2 GP's and would like to rebuild them with a reliable performance improvement. Any assistance to source an a to z build guide would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Seeeeeeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrch!
    There's only about 500 threads here on building that motor from A to Z and every mod you can handle for improved performance.
    Start w the stickies for reliability mods & go from there

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg426690 View Post
    Seeeeeeeeaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrch!
    There's only about 500 threads here on building that motor from A to Z and every mod you can handle for improved performance.
    Start w the stickies for reliability mods & go from there
    I figured that a search reply message would be placed after my question. I have read under the 2 stroke yamaha many stickies posts. And understand that these machines are out dated and many threads have been recorded on the subject.

I am searching for a book or pdf file containing a guide. I really dont want to come across as an idiot and bother anyone. The question was to attempt to study as much as possible before in order to get it right the first time.

You can probably find the manual online somewhere.

+1
    If you're looking for a one stop shop on how to mod the 1200r there is no such manual. What you seek is contained in the posts of this forum. Start with the Yamaha how to's to start. That should keep you reading for a few days.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 76bella@gmail.com View Post
    I figured that a search reply message would be placed after my question. I have read under the 2 stroke yamaha many stickies posts. And understand that these machines are out dated and many threads have been recorded on the subject.

I am searching for a book or pdf file containing a guide. I really dont want to come across as an idiot and bother anyone. The question was to attempt to study as much as possible before in order to get it right the first time.
    If you're mechanically inclined with some experience rebuilding engines and drivelines, then PWCs are not going to be hard to work on. The biggest challenges are ergonomics, dropped bolts/washers/nuts under the engine, and the light-weighting of your wallet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steelmesh View Post
    If you're mechanically inclined with some experience rebuilding engines and drivelines, then PWCs are not going to be hard to work on. The biggest challenges are ergonomics, dropped bolts/washers/nuts under the engine, and the light-weighting of your wallet.
    X 2 on the wallet thing.

Quote Originally Posted by steelmesh View Post
    Has any written a book on the 66v engine and a brake down of all in composing updates for the Waverunner ?

Or does everyone read the shop manual for the Waverunner and reference recorded threads on this forum for updates through people using trial and error methods.

+1
    Nobody has written a 'book' per say, although, if you read through all of the various build threads there is enough info to compose one.
    Do your homework like everyone else does in reading through many of the threads (and especially stuff in the 'how-to' section, not just the stickies, scroll further...). Many people have taken the time to write very detailed accounts of their builds and mistakes made along the way.

When you feel somewhat comfortable, you should do the same. Start a build thread and keep it updated as much as you can, with pics when appropriate - you will be the main contributor there, but folks will help you with questions and issues you run into along the way. Your input and details will have a strong affect on how much support you find. We all write our own books, so to speak.
    You can learn a ton just taking the time to look back through other threads and lots and lots of reading. Yes, it's a lot to go through but all the details are there to be found.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions, there's a lot of great users here who will help you. One common caveat though: if you ask things that have been discussed in great detail many times over, many folks will assume you didn't take the time to look for an answer before asking. Often, these are the same folks still active on the forum here that have answered those very same questions repeatedly already. It's one thing if you don't understand what's been written (and that's completely ok, ask the q's), its a different story if you don't at least try to look first at what's already been explained... I don't mean to say that's what you have done, I'm just trying to give you some direction in how to get the best help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 76bella@gmail.com View Post
    Has any written a book on the 66v engine and a brake down of all in composing updates for the Waverunner ?

Or does everyone read the shop manual for the Waverunner and reference recorded threads on this forum for updates through people using trial and error methods.
    What is your goal? Stock reliability? Bottom end performance? Top speed performance? Choose 1 of those 3 and use that as your guide for how to search for what you desire. I think at this point, you're the best candidate to author the book after researching everything. Thanks in advance!

Thread Information