2013 VX 110 Sport - engine won't shut off - fire on battery terminal

2013 VX 110 Sport purchased used in 2016 with only 4 hours.

Ran fine in 2016, 2017 and most of 2018.

Late in the 2018 season (October), it would click and whrr, but would not start.

All these changes were done by family members:

Put in a new rectifier...did not help.

Purchased (Amazon) a solenoid for the exact model/year but it did not have the correct "bullet connectors" on the end of the wires.

Purchased a second solenoid (Amazon) that had two bullet connectors. The bullet connectors turned out to be a little smaller in diameter than the OEM, so we decided two "splice" the OEM bullet connectors to the new solenoid (cutting off the smaller connectors)...used electrical tape and marine heat shrink tubing to "protect" the spliced area.

Ski started and ran fine in my garage (approximatley 5 starts over the past two weeks). Took the ski to the lake on Friday the 17th. My 28 year old son (I don't drive it) took it for a two mile trip back to our lake house. About the time he arrived a warning flashed on the screen, he tried to shut down the engine (by hitting the button) and the engine kept running. He then pulled the clip from the engine shutoff switch, and the engine still did not stop.

He said he noticed a different sound and a vibration coming from the engine so he pulled the seat off and noticed the negative battery terminal was smoking and then the plastic casing on the terminal burst into flames.

I can't remember how he said the engine finally stopped, but he spent the next 15 minutes trying to get the ski onto our hydroport (after nine attempts he "got er done").

Anyone ever heard of a similar scenario? Please feel free to give me your thoughts.

I can't help but believe it's got something to do with our "jury-rigged" solenoid (which was probably from China). But I really do not know what caused this situation.

We have have to tow it to the boat dock, winch it onto the trailer and then to the repair shop. Fun, fun!

Bumping this in case someone with more knowledge than me missed this post first time around...could really use some thoughts.
    Last edited by Cortizone; 05-24-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Since there has been no responses to my post in 4 months I doubt anyone gives a flip about the end results, but here goes...

Towed the ski to the boat ramp with our pontoon on 9/7/19...refer to original post to get the background info...this ski had only been run for about 30 minutes since October 2018. Took it to CC Powersports (the largest dealer in the Louisville area...they work on every make/model) on 9/10/19...gave them a written full page report on everything that had occurred since 10/18, including the suspected solenoid issue.

Got the ski back yesterday and am hoping they did a through job, but am somewhat suspicious about what they said the problem was...

They said all issues were caused by corrosion on the battery terminal! My son swears that when we did all the work in my garage this past winter there was NO corrosion...I do not remember seeing any when we put the terminals back on this past spring (after having the battery on a maintainer over the winter).

My son is not sold that corrosion caused the original problems...he thinks any corrosion on the terminals was caused AFTER the melting and other issues discussed in OP, when the ski sat on the hydroport for 4 months this summer with a cover on the ski?

I'm gonna be highly pissed next spring if this thing overheats and putz's out again...I will be overjoyed if the technician was correct.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortizone View Post
    ... what they said the problem was...

They said all issues were caused by corrosion on the battery terminal ...
    What parts did the shop actually replace?

I literally just ran into the same problem a week ago, have an 08 vx cruiser and thought the starter went, installed a new starter and still didnít start, bought a cheap starter relay switch off amazon and started up, tried it a couple times and it worked perfectly, I go to start it again and it wouldnít stop cranking!, almost started a fire!! Had to disconnect the negative to shit it off. Long story short I purchased a Yamaha relay switch and now it wonít start again, come to find out that the Chinese switch from amazon fried my brand new starter I installed, so lesson learned, buy oem instead of try to save money.

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    What parts did the shop actually replace?
    That is another part of the reason I am suspect if they really tried to find the source of the issues.

They put in a new battery and that was it! (Previous battery had melted the negative terminal off). They say they cleaned corrosion off the cable. BTW, the previous battery was practically brand new...maybe 2-3 hours on it.

Another possible BS statement from the tech..."You should not use an AGM battery in the waverunner...they don't seem to do well...always use conventional lead acid."???

I have never read that about the waverunner vx sport anywhere. Is that true or BS?

They also said the corrosion issue was seen by them more often on the waverunner than other skis???

+1
    I would say the battery claim is bs
    I run an AGM battery and have done for years
    My ski is an fzs though
    But so many run them it canít be a fault cause

Thread Information