Thread: Which to buy?

Which to buy?

After owning many supercharged Seadoos I am ready to switch to a Non supercharged Yami for reliability and comfort. Speed is not a huge factor however I would like to achieve 60mph.
    My budget is around $7500 +/-
    looking at used Fx or VX. Some years of skis have issues and other years don't. I wanted to see if anyone on here could help this guy out. I could spend hours or days doing research but honest opinions from members on here would probably save me a ton of time.
    Thank you for any replies!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollerdog View Post
    After owning many supercharged Seadoos I am ready to switch to a Non supercharged Yami for reliability and comfort. Speed is not a huge factor however I would like to achieve 60mph.

My budget is around $7500 +/-

looking at used Fx or VX. Some years of skis have issues and other years don't. I wanted to see if anyone on here could help this guy out. I could spend hours or days doing research but honest opinions from members on here would probably save me a ton of time.
    Thank you for any replies!
    Welcome.

Where are you located?
    What kinds of water would you be riding on? Smooth rivers, large open bays, ocean? Lots of heavy boat chop?

Passengers or solo riding?
    Distance travel?

Available gasoline octane?

Condensed summary;
    The Yamaha FX series is considered the best hull for ride quality, especially in semi-rough water. Not a small hull, with plenty of seat room for passenger(s) and interior storage for stuff. Yamaha just released an all new FX hull design in 2019.

I think the prior generation FX hull spanned 2014-2018.

In 2015 Yamaha introduced the RiDE system. Personally I would not buy a Yamaha without RiDE. While it does provide more rapid braking via the left hand control lever, the big win is much better control in tight areas, around docks, launch ramps, and other skis.

The 1.8 liter Yamaha engine is considered to be very reliable overall. 2016 and onwards have an upgraded timing chain, which was a potential failure issue in prior years, mostly on the supercharged engines.

I will note that the supercharger system on Yamaha is quite different from Seadoo. No slip washers, no scheduled supercharger rebuild intervals. There is a one-way clutch down inside the front of the engine (no scheduled maintenance or replacement intervals). The clutch system is fairly reliable, more so on the SVHO engine compared to the prior SHO supercharged engine. SVHO engines provide something more than 250hp stock, and easily aftermarket tuned for close to 300.

The mid-sized Yamaha hull would be the VX(R). Redesigned for the 2015 model year, the VXR from before 2015 is fairly quick and certainly can exceed 60mph (GPS measured). The 2015 onwards VXR/VXS hull is a bit bigger, has better ride quality in roughish water, and includes the RiDE system.

VXR/VXS (and a few other model variations) have the non-supercharged 1.8 liter engine, rated at circa 160-180hp. Yamaha also sold the same hulls with some smaller displacement engines, generally named VX something.
    Last edited by K447; 05-18-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome.

Where are you located?
    What kinds of water would you be riding on? Smooth rivers, large open bays, ocean? Lots of heavy boat chop?

Passengers or solo riding?
    Distance travel?

Available gasoline octane?

Condensed summary;
    The Yamaha FX series is considered the best hull for ride quality, especially in semi-rough water. Not a small hull, with plenty of seat room for passenger(s) and interior storage for stuff. Yamaha just released an new FX hull design in 2019.

I think the prior generation FX hull spanned 2014-2018.

In 2015 Yamaha introduced the RiDE system. Personally I would not buy a Yamaha without RiDE. While it does provide more rapid braking via the left hand control lever, the big win is much better control in tight areas, around docks, launch ramps, and other skis.

The 1.8 liter Yamaha engine is considered to be very reliable overall. 2016 and onwards have an upgraded timing chain, which was a potential failure issue in prior years, mostly on the supercharged engines.

I will note that the supercharger system on Yamaha is quite different from Seadoo. No slip washers, no scheduled supercharger rebuild intervals. There is a one-way clutch down inside the front of the engine (no scheduled maintenance or replacement intervals). The clutch system is fairly reliable, more so on the SVHO engine compared to the prior SHO supercharged engine. SVHO engines provide something more than 250hp stock, and easily aftermarket tuned for close to 300.

The mid-sized Yamaha hull would be the VX(R). Redesigned for the 2015 model year, the VXR from before 2015 is fairly quick and certainly can exceed 60mph (GPS measured). The 2015 onwards VXR/VXS hull is a bit bigger, has better ride quality in roughish water, and includes the RiDE system.

VXR/VXS (and a few other model variations) have the non-supercharged 1.8 liter engine, rated at circa 160-180hp. Yamaha also sold the same hulls with some smaller displacement engines, generally named VX something.
    very helpful info here.
    I would ride in a wide variety of conditions. upper Mississippi River in summer and SW Florida (gulf) in winter. I would take my wife on occasions. We are in our mid 50’s so comfort is a plus. I usually don’t go out if the water is too rough.

+1
    For ride, comfort, and 2-up ... simply stick with the bigger hulls - period. That strikes VXR/VXS's off the list.
    We already know all the SC offerings are off the list.
    The "newer" line ( =>2016 ) VX HO (and VX HO cruisers) have the bigger hull, yet there are some things like Trim missing - which, you got it, can help improve ride quality. More so, these are likely "too new" for your budget constraints.
    That then leaves the FX HO & FX HO Cruiser left on the list <-- that was easy !
    Simply go for the newest you can, having that 1.8L NA motor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeBandit View Post
    For ride, comfort, and 2-up ... simply stick with the bigger hulls - period. That strikes VXR/VXS's off the list.

We already know all the SC offerings are off the list.

The "newer" line ( =>2016 ) VX HO (and VX HO cruisers) have the bigger hull, yet there are some things like Trim missing - which, you got it, can help improve ride quality. More so, these are likely "too new" for your budget constraints.
    That then leaves the FX HO & FX HO Cruiser left on the list <-- that was easy !
    Simply go for the newest you can, having that 1.8L NA motor.
    Vx ho and vx cruiser are exact same hull as vxr/vxs.

Vx hull is going to more playful and lighter than FX.

FX hull is more stable and comfortable for seated riding in choppy water.

I think the 1.8 is the motor to go with without a doubt.

I bought the VXR for its lightness and playfulness. But in riding on the Great Lakes and Detroit River for good distances, I can see myself trying an FX next time around.

Just depends what you want man!
    Last edited by K447; 05-18-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks again for the helpful information. I’ve been searching and searching for a used and extremely clean FX but they are hard to find in my price range. I’m thinking that I should be able to pick up a low hour 2009 - 2012 for around $7500?

+1
    ... Iíve been searching and searching for a used and extremely clean FX but they are hard to find in my price range.

Iím thinking that I should be able to pick up a low hour 2009 - 2012 for around $7500?
    Where are you located?

Click on My Profile in top right of GH web site, update your location info.

+1
    ... Iíve been searching and searching for a used and extremely clean FX but they are hard to find in my price range.

Iím thinking that I should be able to pick up a low hour 2009 - 2012 for around $7500?
    Where are you looking?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Where are you looking?

Looking for a freshwater ski. Iím currently in SW Wisconsin but also own a home in Florida. Willing to travel for a CLEAN FX.

updated some of my profile on here

+1
    Looking for a freshwater ski. Iím currently in SW Wisconsin but also own a home in Florida.

Willing to travel for a CLEAN FX.

Can you see the Classifieds section on GH?

http://greenhulk.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218

There is a requirement for certain minimum number of useful member posts, so you may not be able to see that section yet.

Thread Information