Need help. Yamaha wave runner filling with water

Hello,
    I am a pwc newbie. My 96 wave runner 700 is filling with water when the engine is running. I ran it with the seat and found where the water is coming in. There is a 8 inch yellow hose coming from the engine and that’s where water is entering the bilge. What is this yellow tube? How should I fix it? Photos attached. Thanks all
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13F6B86E-5AE6-4C23-BAD4-4448E22406F9.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	68.8 KB 
ID:	448469  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

There is lots to learn about personal watercraft. Not just the care and maintenance but also marine safety, good riding practices, and so on.

Find a service manual for your year and model, and the owners manual if you can.

For the immediate problem, that yellowed hose looks like an engine flush fitting. It is supposed to have a cap screwed into the end to prevent water from the engine cooling system flooding into the hull.

You need to find a cap that will fit into the end of that yellowed hose and prevent water from coming out. Perhaps the cap has fallen into the bottom of the hull somewhere.

Sometimes called a reverse flush, that yellowed hose end would connect to a garden hose when you need to run the engine on land for more than 20 seconds or so.

Note: Just feeding garden hose water into the engine does not mean you can run the engine for a really long time on the hose.

Tip: There is a specific protocol for garden hose cooling. Do not turn the hose water on unless the engine is already running, and turn the water off before shutting down the engine.

Thank you for the help K447! Fixed that and then ran into a different issue. When I pull out the choke, it now goes out too far (another 2" or so) and the wire is exposed. How do I fix that? Photos attached.

Thanks,
    David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	448475   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0269.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	448476  

+1
    The choke cable is attached to the carburetor so I’d look there to see if it’s broken or disconnected.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yam96 View Post
    ... When I pull out the choke, it now goes out too far (another 2" or so) and the wire is exposed.

How do I fix that? ...

Thanks,
    David
    Take the time to step back and understand what you are working with.

This is an old watercraft. It is common for an old machine to have multiple problems. Some things will be broken, some things worn, some things not adjusted properly. Even the things that seem to be working may need servicing, lubrication, updating or whatever.

When you are out on the water, if the thing stops working or perhaps sinks, you cannot walk home. Stranding on the water is not something you want.

The only way to have a reliable older watercraft is to make it that way. You need to do the work to understand how the thing is put together, how it works, how the various parts function.

And also do the work to verify that those parts and assemblies will be able to do so reliably while you are on the water.

That choke cable goes somewhere, connects to something, causes something to ‘work’. Fixing an old machine means getting familiar with how it is supposed to work, then making it actually be so.

Thread Information