2011 Yamaha Waverunner FX Cruiser SHO

I have a 2011 FX Cruiser SHO. Last year I had the engine rebuilt as it had gotten salt water in it and then sat for 2 years with the previous owner. It sounded like it was running fine out of the water without a load attached to a hose but as soon as it was in the water under a load, it had trouble staying started without throttling the engine. After running for a few hours throughout the day when attempting to go WOT my max RPM was 6500. Any advice on where to start to try to fix this issue? Lack of air flow? Bad fuel injectors, bad fuel pump?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

Start with the basics. Even though the engine has been rebuilt, check cylinder compression.

Inspect the spark plugs. I presume they are fresh with the rebuild. Are they all about the same color?

Was this machine tested on the water after the engine rebuild?

All new plugs, I upgraded the supercharger shaft with the Riva Racing shaft upgrade kit. Was not water tested, discovered this issue first time on the water with it

+1
    Well, do the compression check, just so we have some numbers.

With a freshly rebuilt engine there are a number of ways the rebuild could have been done incorrectly. Until proven otherwise you cannot assume the engine itself is right.

Or something could be incorrect from when the engine was reinstalled in the hull. Crossed wire connectors, something left unplugged, that sort of thing.

Since the symptoms include inability to idle when in the water, something fairly basic seems to be not right.

If there is cooling water somehow getting into the combustion chamber(s) then the engine will run poorly. Which reminds me, does the oil on the dipstick look new and clean, or milky?

Also verify the oil level is actually correct for the engine.

No check engine lights are on, nothing is indicating electrical....so far. When I would throttle it, it would stay started and when I let off the throttle gently, it would stay idling. The oil is all brand new and it looks clean. When I initially got the ski back, the supercharger shaft had broke and it would idle rough out of water. The spark plugs at that time were dark and it smelled like it was very rich....that's when we upgraded the shaft kit and changed the spark plugs and it was very smooth out of the water after that. Fast forward to water test, that's when we noticed all of the current issues. My first thoughts were fuel pump, injectors, butterfly valve in the throttle body sticking.

+1
    How old is the gasoline that was in the tank, before you added fresh?

Someone installed a rebuilt engine with old spark plugs and with a broken supercharger shaft?

Is this machine new to you? Has it ever run properly for you?

The gasoline was fresh, all the old fuel was pumped out.

The spark plugs were new, upon testing the engine out of the water, the supercharger shaft broke(from what I read, is a weak point on this engine unless you upgrade it) after finding this out, that's when we saw the plugs looked the way they did.

This belonged to a family member prior to me owning. They did not use it anymore, it sat for a while and came from salt water. My mistake, I did not test it prior to purchasing, but the engine was locked up which led to having to be rebuilt. Family did not know it was in the condition it was in otherwise the transaction would have never occurred.

Prior to them parking it for awhile, it ran great.

It's been a huge headache thus far, but fortunately, my family member was nice enough to refund me the money to put back into the ski. I'm not quite ready to give up on it yet.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Bmazzola View Post
    ... came from salt water. ...
    You might want to check the intercooler for internal leaks. If it is allowing water to get into the air intake flow then the engine will not run right.

And make sure the air intake path into the engine is does not have trapped water inside.

Thread Information