Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Lake Lion
    +1
    No

Quote Originally Posted by socalmxcool View Post
    So I have a new seal / spacer on it's way. I believe you cut into your after market seal kit to allow the fingers to be used, except the two end ones. Here's what the R&D intake grate with seal kit looks like.

I didn't have cavitation problems until after I put the intake grate and ribbon delete on. I'm sure the ribbon delete didn't cause the issues. The reflash and prop are supposed to handle the bolt on mods. So I did a piss poor job putting on the grate. I'm hoping it was putting on the cut down spacer that caused the cavitation and top speed issue.

I had the rough edge up against the ride plate.

The pump looks good for now.

I could also feel the cavitation more after ribbon delete. Think thats because of the more angry engine. Like it ran out off water or not gripping it any more. Is that solas impeller what R&D recommand for VXR? And is it a easy job to change?

Quote Originally Posted by tomkve88 View Post
    I could also feel the cavitation more after ribbon delete. Think thats because of the more angry engine. Like it ran out off water or not gripping it any more. Is that solas impeller what R&D recommand for VXR? And is it a easy job to change?
    The kit that is on my VXR is complete with the ECU reflash by R&D and a Solas 13/19 impellar. My ski runs on regular gas. But I hear others are running 91 octane because of their reflash. Not sure what it up on that.

Ive done everything myself except the ECU. Last summer the ski ran great at approx. 65. I put on the R&D intake grate and Riva ribbon delete sleeve and lost 2 MPH. It should be the other way around. Do, I'm sure I did something wrong. Thankfully I'm getting good advice here.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by socalmxcool View Post
    The kit that is on my VXR is complete with the ECU reflash by R&D and a Solas 13/19 impellar. My ski runs on regular gas. But I hear others are running 91 octane because of their reflash. Not sure what it up on that.

Ive done everything myself except the ECU. Last summer the ski ran great at approx. 65. I put on the R&D intake grate and Riva ribbon delete sleeve and lost 2 MPH. It should be the other way around. Do, I'm sure I did something wrong. Thankfully I'm getting good advice here.
    Intake grates can decrease speed. Iíve heard, like someone above mentioned already, that the R&D specifically has been found to do this. Just FYI. Some gain but typically they lose of do nothing to speed in my experience of doing probably a dozen grates over the years.

+1
    Like many are saying the grate can slow you down a bit...Put the stock one back on..

6. +1 by:

+1
    Yep. The scoop grates are designed to keep the ski hooked up, which they do a great job of, but if you’re chasing speed I’d avoid them. It robbed about 5 mph from my Kawi 15f. Was running 58-59 with the R&D setup. Swapping back to the stock grate along with doing some other small mods got me to 64-66.

8. +1 by:

Did you find the answer for your problem?

I checked all my seals now and fixed those I could see was bad.
    The VXR almost keep up with my friends Gp1800. So I think the seals for ventilation are good. But when taking a 180 turn and out of put, it just reving the limiter and take some time before it hook to the water.

Iím not so into going for a grate as I like to jump the waves.
    will the next thing to try be a new impeller, lycky13, trim extension or something else?

Having the ribbon delete, air filter and 19 ride plate.

So, I removed the R&D intake grate, back to stock with stock seals. Unfortunately, I crossed over a low section at Lake Mead and ran some rocks through the pump damaging the impeller. I smoothed it out the best I could with a Dremel. I took the ski out and there was NO cavitation, strong mid, but the speed was only 62mph per STRAVA. I'm sure most, if not all, of the missing speed was prop related. Ordered a new prop, but now temps are well into 100's. No matter, it still should run in the mid 60's.

(R&D reflash, R&D power filter, Solas YS-CD 13/19, ribon delete).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information