Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Question 2018+ VXR ribbon delete & Power Filter Riva clarification

Hello fellow Yamaha riders. I have a 2018 VXR i purchased last June band new. Its been a blast! I have been reading/lurking on these forms about mods for my new ski since then. As it being so new last season I found mixed answers on posts and decided to wait to do some simple mods.

I originally wanted to install the ribbon delete from Riva, but got turned off by reading people had to remove the whole intake manifold and cut into the plastic manifold. I also called Riva last season and got mixed answers from them on what the correct ribon delete to use. If you just do a search on there site this is what the site says will fit, AND IS INCORRECT
    https://rivaracing.com/i-14305221-ri...%7Cyear%3D2018
    After calling Riva I finally got an answer from them and They told me this was the correct parts I needed to order for the ribon delete and power filter kit.
    https://rivaracing.com/i-24080324-riva-yamaha-2018-svho-intake-manifold-upgrade-kit.html#!model%3DVXR%20(1.8L)%7C%7Cmake%3DYAMAHA% 7C%7Cyear%3D2018

https://rivaracing.com/i-21239727-ri...t-2012-19.html

My questions are, has any one used either of these kits on this ski?, and is there any down side long term to using these? And are there any known issues with the 2018 VXR that I might be able to prevent with an upgrade and or getting ahead of the game and fixing it now before it actually becomes a problem.

+1
    Hey Beerface, I can't be sure but I think that either kit will work, the second kit looks like it's much more complete and will be less frustrating to use. I probably had one of the very first 18 gp's sold, purchased in October of 17, so none of those kits were around then. I just figured out to stab and tear the ribbon out of the manifold and seeing that there was a molded in rib that kept the ribbon in place (keeps it from entering the manifold further) I used a Dremel to grind that ridge away to make it all smooth inside the manifold. Honestly I don't think that there is any seat of the pants gain from removing the ribbon until you mod the ski a bit further. Having said that, If you don't mind digging the ribbon out I believe that the sleeve that you show in the first part of your post will fit right in replacing the ribbon and will be held in place by the ridge that I mentioned.

You just need the ring - not the kit with a hole saw. On my 18' VX HO I took a small flat head screw driver and slightly worked the sides of the rubber surround until I could pull the whole thing out complete. The flame arrestor came out in perfect shape in case I want to reinstall it.
    Last edited by LivingSlow; 05-15-2019 at 07:06 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by LivingSlow View Post
    You just need the ring - not the kit with a hole saw. On my 18' VX HO I took a small flat head screw driver and slightly worked the sides of the rubber surround until I could pull the whole thing out complete. The flame arrestor came out in perfect shape in case I want to reinstall it.
    X2. Don’t destroy it. Gently work it out with a flat head around the edges or just take needle nose pliers like I did and work around the edge punching the rubber lip and eventually it just pops out. Probably took all of 15 mins.

+1
    Not an 18 but I have a 16 VXR.

Bought last spring. I’ve done ribbon delete, k&n intake with cone filter and water sock, and TJ exhaust mod. I did all 3 at once. I gained about 5mph and it sounds a little more raw.

This spring I’ve added the 2019 ride plate and intake grate. I hope to be itching at 70mph’s door this summer.

I suggest all these upgrades for performance. In addition, I did the candoo GPS speedometer corrector and added the center “finger”/prong to the tow cleat for easier use.

For under $700 the ski will be about 6-8 mph faster, as well as all the other benefits of the above mentioned.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sheldon2es View Post
    Not an 18 but I have a 16 VXR.

Bought last spring. I’ve done ribbon delete, k&n intake with cone filter and water sock, and TJ exhaust mod. I did all 3 at once. I gained about 5mph and it sounds a little more raw.

This spring I’ve added the 2019 ride plate and intake grate. I hope to be itching at 70mph’s door this summer.

I suggest all these upgrades for performance. In addition, I did the candoo GPS speedometer corrector and added the center “finger”/prong to the tow cleat for easier use.

For under $700 the ski will be about 6-8 mph faster, as well as all the other benefits of the above mentioned.
    How did you gain 5mph? I did the exact same mods on my 16vxr. I've never seen a 5mph gain even from summer to winter. Did you take that reading from dash or gps?

If that is a true 5mph you have the most mod friendly vxr I've seen lol.
    I do see you installed the candoo just not sure if before or after the modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by sheldon2es View Post
    X2. Don’t destroy it. Gently work it out with a flat head around the edges or just take needle nose pliers like I did and work around the edge punching the rubber lip and eventually it just pops out. Probably took all of 15 mins.
    I agree...

Pulling the rubber lip with pliers in various positions outward is probably all you need to do. You'll reuse the surround so try to not pinch to hard on the lip itself.

As far as performance - it certainly helped low to mid range in my opinion.

+1

2018+ VXR ribbon delete & Power Filter Riva clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Impulse20098 View Post
    How did you gain 5mph? I did the exact same mods on my 16vxr. I've never seen a 5mph gain even from summer to winter. Did you take that reading from dash or gps?

If that is a true 5mph you have the most mod friendly vxr I've seen lol.
    I do see you installed the candoo just not sure if before or after the modifications.
    Confirmed with handheld gps and phone gps. I was ~230lbs, now 205lb so I bet I get another .2mph this summer

But yes gps confirmed. I couldn’t touch 63 before and now my top is 67.5. All done on 1/4 tank or less, trim one click up. My parents live on a lake so I probably did some top speed runs every other week all summer and this is just what I observed.

I feel like I hear guys getting 3-5 mph all the time from the ribbon and a cold air intake.

There’s a guy that has a YouTube video of his doing 69.xx with gps and pretty much all the bolt one and Jim’s plate.

9. +1 by:

can you please show a picture of the TJ mod exhaust ? Thanks

+1
    Wish that I had figured out about the rubber ring around the ribbon, sure sounds a lot easier than the way I did it!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information