MSX140 Won't Shut Off

Folks - I am new to this forum, so apologize in advance if I don't do things right.
    I have been working on a 2003 MSX140HO. Did the fuel pressure regulator and through hull bearings and seals. Runs very well but maybe too good. I can't shut it off. I had to open engine compartment and pull plug wires last time I went out. Reading about SIFB problems and work arounds but I don't think the MSX140 has one, is that correct? I put a good used switch assembly on from Marto but still no change. BTW the blue mode button doesn't change display, related or independent problem? Thanks, in advance for any guidance.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome.

The lanyard pull cord also does not stop the engine, correct?

I would be suspecting a problem with the wiring/connectors related to the left side handlebar. The Stop button, lanyard switch and Blue Mode button are all on the same left side.

On the MSX 140 (2-stroke three cylinder Ficht engine) there are connectors under the handlebar cover plastics. I would start by removing that so you can inspect the wiring. Also check where the wires go down through the deck surface. Look for frayed or chafed wires. Unplug the connectors and inspect the pins.

Going from memory the handlebar wiring may use Sumitomo connectors which have a tricky and hard to see release tab. Once you find the little tab it is straightforward to release the catch and slide the connector apart.

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

+1
    The other place to look is inside the electrical box. The Black/Yellow wire is the engine stop signal. Both the lanyard and the Stop button short the signal to ground to kill ignition. You can check this using an ohmmeter.

K447 First, Thank-you for your suggestions. I have had the handle bar connections apart and they look good. I will look again. Right, lanyard pull doesn't work either. Where is the "electrical box"? I know the emm and I know the 3-fuse block. I found something that I think might be refered to as ESP. This item says"Minks Engineering LR86 and 4010913".

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt53B View Post
    K447 First, Thank-you for your suggestions. I have had the handle bar connections apart and they look good. I will look again. Right, lanyard pull doesn't work either. Where is the "electrical box"?

I know the emm and I know the 3-fuse block. I found something that I think might be refered to as ESP. This item says"Minks Engineering LR86 and 4010913".
    My error The MSX 140 has its electrical system distributed along the wire harness. There is no electrical box on Ficht models 2002-2004.

The Ignition kill wire does go to the LR-503 module connection. And to the EMM 40-pin connector. LR-503 may be hiding in a wire nest on top of the fuel tank. Emm is near the battery.

Check whether the lanyard switch is properly controlling the black/yellow ‘ignition kill’ wire connection to ground when lanyard is pulled, and open circuit when the lanyard is inserted.

+1
    ... I found something that I think might be refered to as ESP. This item says"Minks Engineering LR86 and 4010913".
    The ESP module connects inline with 3-pin connectors to the TPS on the throttle body. I don’t think I have ever seen one fail, and it does not affect engine shut down.

K447 - Got It! Your suggestion to look at the wires was really good. There was nothing obvious but as I was getting ready to check continuity of each wire, I noticed a section of each wire that was noticeable "limp". No abrasions of the insulation surface but I cut out the "limp" sections and soldered them back together. Someone must have pulled the wire too hard and broke the copper conductors but not the plastic insulation......everything works, including the Mode button. Motor runs about 6600 RPM WOT. Runs about 55-58. Are we good?

+1
    K447 - Got It! Your suggestion to look at the wires was really good. There was nothing obvious but as I was getting ready to check continuity of each wire, I noticed a section of each wire that was noticeable "limp". No abrasions of the insulation surface but I cut out the "limp" sections and soldered them back together. Someone must have pulled the wire too hard and broke the copper conductors but not the plastic insulation......everything works, including the Mode button. Motor runs about 6600 RPM WOT. Runs about 55-58. Are we good?
    Bravo, you found the wiring damage.

I would suggest eyeballing all the other wires around the handlebars, in case the same rough handling was applied elsewhere. You don’t want to be stranded on the water somewhere if another damaged wire finally breaks the last few strands.

Given the damp marine environment these watercraft encounter, make sure those soldered wire splices are 100% hermetically sealed against moisture ingress over time. Regular heat shrink tubing is not good enough. Use adhesive lined dual wall heat shrink tubing that encases the connection inside with gooey sealant while the heat gun shrinks the tubing.

I often use heat shrink crimp wire connectors, also with the adhesive inner lining.

There are 6 wire coming from the handle bars, I did them all. Soldered and used heat shrink. Didn't have the double wall heat shrink. I'm going to buy some of it for next project.

Thread Information