Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by arctic388 View Post
    after reading the above reply about bypassing the fuel selector made me think of the factory fuel filter. I absolutely hate them things. I bypass it all together with a yamaha filter. they are the best ones made i have found. do not use a WSM or SBT filter, I have had 2 of them come apart and you lose all fuel vacuum. i only use OEM yamaha fuel filter. the stock seadoo filter bowl can not seal well and let air in system. I would check that and the in tank fuel baffle as well as selector switch.

this is all relevant to the carbs being done correctly and the new fuel lines not having debris in them and clogging up the internal carb filters.

are you using the oil injector? did you change that filter? I would recomend making a mark on the tank with a sharpie to show oil level and after riding see if level changes to confirm pump is still working.

Really ??? Its a filter that you can clean...You cant clean a Yamaha fuel filter. Been working on skis for close to 30 years & have yet to come across a better fuel filter. Heck Seadoo stole the design from Mercury.

You just have to be 10% smarter than the filter you are using to get proper use from it. How can it draw air if the oring is in place ??

2. +1 by:

+1
    +1 The only times I've had issues with the Seadoo filter in the cup is when the o'ring goes bad.......easily replaceable, OR when some knothead overtightens it and boogers the threads. If I need an inline for any other ski I like the Visu-filter 8412.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by water worx View Post
    Really ??? Its a filter that you can clean...You cant clean a Yamaha fuel filter. Been working on skis for close to 30 years & have yet to come across a better fuel filter. Heck Seadoo stole the design from Mercury.

You just have to be 10% smarter than the filter you are using to get proper use from it. How can it draw air if the oring is in place ??
    I have personally seen 5 separate Seadoo's (3 were friends and 2 i owned). have issues with the OEM filter. either o-ring or weathered due to age etc. all of them would have had to be completely replaced to work again. it is just easier to replace it with a inline filter.

maybe OEM works for you guys but to me i'd rather eliminate that as a source of someone not having a great riding day.

I stand by my statement of bypassing it from my personal experiences over the years.

Sorry for a later reply, busy week.

-We are using the oil injector on it. Based on the smoke and smell from the exhaust it seems to be getting sufficient oil.

-As far as the "randomly shut off" it sputtered out at low RPMs and if started again would only run until throttle was given and then would sputter out.

-DESS is not an issue as it beeps every time.

-My dad contacted the mechanic and he believes (until he can actually inspect it this weekend) that it may be a defective fuel selector as nmpeter and arctic388 suggested. With how in-depth this guy went through it I do not feel that the carbs or fuel lines would be clogged. It has all new fuel too.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, would love to do some of the suggested tests and inspections but I live an hour away from him. May be back there this weekend.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    If he didnít change out the fuel tap then the rest of the work is suspect

On a tempo fuel system that just part of the game

If there is green goo on the brass most likely

Stuff like gumout which is often tried warps the rubber disk inside the tap and seriously restricts it

The fuel selector is brand new.

What would puzzle me is that throughout the years on my motocross bikes, if the fuel selector was defective it would allow fuel to flow. The carbs would be gunked up and the the float bowl would be full after shutting it to close and burning the remaining fuel out of the line. Unless by defective you also mean a possibility of allowing air inside?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pierceskids View Post
    The fuel selector is brand new.

What would puzzle me is that throughout the years on my motocross bikes, if the fuel selector was defective it would allow fuel to flow. The carbs would be gunked up and the the float bowl would be full after shutting it to close and burning the remaining fuel out of the line. Unless by defective you also mean a possibility of allowing air inside?

on Seadoo's the selector gets gunked up either from fuel lines deteriorating or just the metal chemical reaction to fuel sitting there. they are easily cleaned though. its just a maintenance item that needs to be cleaned. if your is new that should be good. i'd be really interested to see the condition of the fuel baffle in the tank. after sitting that long it would amaze me if its not brittle and cracked all to pieces.

I did have a bad thought the other day. if all the fuel system is good and carbs are good and it still wont run it may be the crank seals in bottom of engine. with it sitting for that long of a time not being ran those things are bound to have dried out and could have easily been displaced/cracked/torn etc when you ran it.

+1
    Been working on Doos since 1989 & have never seen a fuel baffle become brittle & crack.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

Potential fuel issue on 1996 Seadoo Gtx

Me neither for that matter Iíve never bothered to try to repair a fuel tap either take em apart sure but I run a business and canít be dickkng with stuff that can ruin a customers weekend over$40

11. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    Me neither for that matter I’ve never bothered to try to repair a fuel tap either take em apart sure but I run a business and can’t be dickkng with stuff that can ruin a customers weekend over$40
    True dat !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information