Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dealer ran machine on hose up to operating temperature

Hello guys. I just picked up my 2011 Sea Doo GTI 130 from the dealer today. I did change the coolant myself and ask the dealer to verify the levels for me. they informed me that they ran the machine for about 20 to 30 minutes on the hose and all of the levels were correct. My concern is that the carbon seal overheated. Are they supposed to lubricate that when they're running out of the water for that long? How does that work?

+1
    Some of our dealers have small water dams/ponds which they use for tests like these... You sure they don't have something like this? I can't think that a dealer would run it on a hose for that duration ?

Dealer ran machine on hose up to operating temperature

If they did run it on a hose for that long you have bigger worries than the carbon ring. No engine cooling, overheating, head gasket failure,head warpage etc etc.

+1
    A few opinions:

#1. You misunderstood them and they did not run it on the hose that long.

#2. They didn't run it on the hose, but ran it in the water somewhere - tank, lake, etc.

#3. They actually only ran it for a few minutes.

#4. They didn't test it at all.

#5. They're complete morons and have potentially damaged your ski.

I'd call back and ask for clarification. If they confirm running it on the hose for that long, ask to speak to the service manager and or owner.

5. +1 by:

The dealer informed me that they ran the machine on the hose for 30 min. They said everything gets cooled while on the hose.

+1
    Unfortunately the ride plate doesn't get cooled, which is responsible for keeping the engine coolant cooled. The carbon seal also gets no cooling when hooked up to a garden hose.

Quote Originally Posted by shotgun10ga View Post
    The dealer informed me that they ran the machine on the hose for 30 min. They said everything gets cooled while on the hose.

Quote Originally Posted by JFizzleJR View Post
    Unfortunately the ride plate doesn't get cooled, which is responsible for keeping the engine coolant cooled. The carbon seal also gets no cooling when hooked up to a garden hose.
    So how should I deal with this? If there was damage would it be immediately be noticeable?

+1
    No dealer can possibly be so stupid to run it for that long without cooling.

They must have a custom build setup to cool the carbon ring and ride plate while on the hose. I'd be surprised if a dealer who constantly works on skis doesn't have something like that.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    No dealer can possibly be so stupid to run it for that long without cooling.

They must have a custom build setup to cool the carbon ring and ride plate while on the hose. I'd be surprised if a dealer who constantly works on skis doesn't have something like that.
    The dealer SeaDoo sent me to has no water pit and just uses a hose and when I brought the ski back to them and he pulled up a map sensor issue he had no clue what I was talking about when I said it blew off a boost hose.

Never underestimate the ignorance of people.

To answer the damage question no it's not always noticeable immediately.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shotgun10ga View Post
    Geez...I guess it's option 5 from my previous post.

Per the owners manual and factory service manual, "Never run engine longer than 2 minutes. Drive line seal has no cooling when watercraft is out of water."

That refers to your carbon seal. I'd demand they replace it for free. I would think that the life expectancy of that seal is limited. If it fails, it could cause the unit to sink very quickly.

....and find a new dealer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information