Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Flatbed trailer conversions for PWC?

I live on a lake so my 90's SeaDoo's stay on their hoists most of the time, but I'm looking to make a trip to Lake Michigan (2 hours away, my hometown) with them once a year with the family for giggles. I am having a hard time spending the coin on a 2-place trailer just to have it sit under a tree for 363 days a year.

I've been looking at buying a utility or snowmobile trailer and making square-channel bunks to bolt to it when needed, has anyone else ever seen or done this?
    It'd be nice to have something like that to use for lawnmowers, ATVs, mulch, ect... the rest of the year.

+1

Just found this on Google, looks like a place called M&R Trailers in Jacksonville custom made it. A little heavier than I want to go, but its a good starting point to see what is possible.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	atv jetski trailer 002_full.jpeg 
Views:	299 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	448070  

+1
    If you donít need trailer to launch them, just buy a flat bed and use some timber for bunks to prevent hull damage and lift them up a bit.

Somehing like this might do both quite well depends on ramps you are using
    https://www.bigtextrailers.com/14ot-...-bed-equipment

+1
    there would be nothing wrong with using carpeted 4x4's as bunks. the issue might be how high the trailer is vs how angled the launch ramp is where you would put in. if you can get a trailer low enough then adding bunks would work for you.

+1
    Ha, thats weighs more empty than my SUV can pull. I was looking for something under 300kg empty.

Quote Originally Posted by HDAV View Post
    If you don’t need trailer to launch them, just buy a flat bed and use some timber for bunks to prevent hull damage and lift them up a bit.

Somehing like this might do both quite well depends on ramps you are using
    https://www.bigtextrailers.com/14ot-...-bed-equipment

+1
    That's a good idea. I've found used Triton low profile snowmobile trailers around here under $500 in good shape, and they can haul 1400-1700 lbs. They are low enough I could just launch them like normal with bunks attached.

Quote Originally Posted by arctic388 View Post
    there would be nothing wrong with using carpeted 4x4's as bunks. the issue might be how high the trailer is vs how angled the launch ramp is where you would put in. if you can get a trailer low enough then adding bunks would work for you.

7. +1 by:

+1
    If you end up with a trailer made from tubing, make sure you drill plenty of drain holes in it. Trapped water can destroy a trailer pretty quickly.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Normally a land trailer axle does not get submerged in water. Water seeping inside the hubs can rust the bearings and shorten the bearing life.

I would suggest adding bearing buddies to whatever trailer you end up using. These will maintain a slight positive pressure on the grease inside, and particularly against the inner bearing grease seal. That helps keep water out of the actual bearings.

Fresh hub grease seals and using waterproof lithium bearing grease are also good things.

+1
    I would suggest buying a nice 2 place trailer and sell it when you/re done using it.
    Last edited by ncdoo; 05-07-2019 at 10:11 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueMartin View Post
    Ha, thats weighs more empty than my SUV can pull. I was looking for something under 300kg empty.

It was more the style than the actual trailer.... if using it once a year for skis but at other times for general purpose just strip the hubs and regrease after your trip. 300kg empty isn’t much.... a lot of double ski trailer weigh ear that and they are just frames. Once a year rent a u haul flat bed then bearing etc are someone else’s problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information