Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do I have a tune? Thoughts on GP1800 and can I add an intake?

I bought a 2017 GP1800 from someone who was briefly the 2nd owner before selling to me, it only had 14 hours on it when I got it. He thought it was stock but I was able to run 75-76mph with it on gps with a 1/2 tank (never tried real low on fuel) so at first I assumed the original owner must have got a speed limiter delete done. I don't know how fast they will go with just that done vs an actual tune. Everything else seems stock (intake, exhaust, not an updated ride plate).

I added a ribbon delete and billet throttle body flange last week and was able to run 77 with 3/4 tank and then when I got down to about 1/4 tank I tried again and got it to run 78 on gps. At this point I am thinking maybe it actually has a tune vs just the speed limiter removed, does that seem accurate?

I am wanting to add an intake and am wondering if that would be ok? Still learning about these and not sure how much the ecu will compensate. I did read that a Dean's Team "level 1" tune mentions "air filter kit" and ribbon delete as ok mods and the Riva stage 1 says 9mph increase so going off that if 68 is stock due to limiter then I would be right at the speeds of a tune with no other mods. At this point I figure there is no way I just have a speed limiter but guess I am just looking for some confirmation for more seasoned people with these. I would like to just add an intake now and get a 2019 ride plate and then a little down the road get exhaust and then buy a tune to switch to a higher "stage" to be sure to cover the extra mods and get more power. I just didn't want the chance of going lean if I added a Worx air intake but seems like I will be ok due to the speeds it currently runs leading to it having a stage 1 tune.
    Last edited by K447; 05-07-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    If it does have a tune, you should be thinking about what octane gasoline that tune is calibrated for. You donít want to be hard running a 93 octane tune on 91 octane fuel, for example.

I do not know if there is a way for Riva to verify whether that particular ECU has one of their tunes without knowing the ECU internal serial number. You might want to call them and ask.

Each MaptunerX tune license is electronically linked/locked to a specific ECU serial number, so if someone did apply a Riva tune to your ECU you may have the rights to the full MaptunerX tune library for that ECU. I think you would just need the MaptunerX device and the relevant tune enabled ECU serial numbers.

Along the same lines, tunes are intended to match the actual hardware configuration of the engine. Ribbon delete, cold air intake, and so on, you select a tune to match the actual engine modifications. A mismatch of tune to engine configuration (or fuel octane) can risk trouble, such as running the middle cylinders more lean (a ribbon delete side-effect).

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    If it does have a tune, you should be thinking about what octane gasoline that tune is calibrated for. You donít want to be hard running a 93 octane tune on 91 octane fuel, for example.

I do not know if there is a way for Riva to verify whether that particular ECU has one of their tunes without knowing the ECU internal serial number. You might want to call them and ask.

Each MaptunerX tune license is electronically linked/locked to a specific ECU serial number, so if someone did apply a Riva tune to your ECU you may have the rights to the full MaptunerX tune library for that ECU. I think you would just need the MaptunerX device and the relevant tune enabled ECU serial numbers.

Along the same lines, tunes are intended to match the actual hardware configuration of the engine. Ribbon delete, cold air intake, and so on, you select a tune to match the actual engine modifications. A mismatch of tune to engine configuration (or fuel octane) can risk trouble, such as running the middle cylinders more lean (a ribbon delete side-effect).
    I am in Florida so 93 octane and only fill up on land since I assume most places wont have 93 on the water at a marina.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbamworm View Post
    I am in Florida ...
    So give Riva a call. Maybe they can work out whether you have one of their tunes and a license.

I would personally put the ribbon back in, it is your last line in defense at stopping something going through your engine.
    The risk vs reward is not worth it. Throttle body flange after market air intake is a good choice.
    Easy way to tell if its been flashed is at WOT your rev range will be full of bars.

I will reach out to Riva, I'm guessing I would need a map tuner though to read the ecu in order to know if tuned. I think I am going to do a Dean's team tune when I'm ready though.

I have basically zero concern of something getting past the filter/flame arrestor and in the intake track and then in the engine on a waverunner out on the water so will stick with no ribbon as I pile on more mods.

As for rpm bars, they max out on the gauge.

Are you going to put a 19lb or bigger wheel in it? I had the same attitude towards the ribbon delete until I noticed no difference between having it in or out. I have spoke to a few guys who have been in the game a lot longer than me and they do find things sitting up on the ribbon that would have gone through the engine if it had of been removed. Recently seen a valve destroyed because something got through.

Yeah you got a flash for sure if the rpm bars are maxed out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbamworm View Post
    I will reach out to Riva, I'm guessing I would need a map tuner though to read the ecu in order to know if tuned. I think I am going to do a Dean's team tune when I'm ready though.

The cost of the MaptunerX device, if your ECU serial number is already paired with a tune license, would get you access to all the Riva tunes for the SVHO engine. And you could change among them at will, in minutes.

My understanding of the Deanís tune process is the ECU must physically go to Dean every time you want to change something.

If you are not located near Riva perhaps you could remove and send the ECU to them to check whether it is a MaptunerX tune and license.

+1
    Have you pulled the electrical cover? Both Dean's Team and R&D put their stickers on the front of the ECU. I'm not sure about with Riva.

Dean's Team for at least the last two also has written on the sticker which tune is installed and the RPM limit set.

Keith is correct, you have to send the ECU to Dean for any tuning

Quote Originally Posted by Luke1.8 View Post
    Are you going to put a 19lb or bigger wheel in it?

I had the same attitude towards the ribbon delete until I noticed no difference between having it in or out. I have spoke to a few guys who have been in the game a lot longer than me and they do find things sitting up on the ribbon that would have gone through the engine if it had of been removed. Recently seen a valve destroyed because something got through.

Yeah you got a flash for sure if the rpm bars are maxed out.
    To be honest I say to myself that I just want an intake and tune but I know better.

I am in to heavily modding cars, etc so I know the GP will end up the same eventually, especially if any friends get one and start modding, which one said he has access to a turbo kit and seadoo engine, just needs a hull. So if that happens I will be forced to do more lol.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information