Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just bought my first PWC, help needed

Ok, I just purchased my first ever jet ski. I got it for a ridiculous deal. I dont know anything about jet skis, but I am mechanically inclined and can figure out most problems I come across. I usually work on motorcycles so I have some speciality tools that should work. Ex carb sync tool and other odds and ends. Sorry in advance if I dont know the correct terms or things about water crafts as this is my first ever project like this.
    1995 Polaris sl650. When I first looked at it I noticed it has a clean hull. Looks ok for its age but there seems to be some problems. Everything seems to be there but Upon looking into the engine compartment I noticed the electrical box was open. The box that holds the cdi and the electrical connectors. Before I put a battery in it to make sure it's not locked up/ compression test. I wanted to make sure all the electrical pins are in the correct spot so I dont burn up the harness. But there seems to be some type of grease or old vaseline on the connectors. So much that I cant read the wire colors on the box. I think this is to help if water accidentally gets in? But not 100%. (I know its water proof and has a o-ring on the box). Can I clean the connectors and board with contact cleaner to remove the dirt/ grease and check to make sure everything is connected correctly? Also need advice on cleaning the oil and gas tanks. (One form said the tank cant come out of the front/ dry storage compartment). And it has bad gas. Right now I'm just trying to see if the thing Is worth saving. Also there are random hoses not connected laying in the hull that I'm going to have to trace back. Also there is another sl650 I'm picking up for parts tomorrow. So hopefully out of the 2 I can make one good one.
    Here is a list of everything I have planned for the next few days in order.
    Check electrical box to make sure everything is ok
    Install good battery
    Try to get it to turn over
    Compression test (make sure i dont have a burnt piston)
    Check spark
    Carb, fuel tank, oil tank cleaned
    (Purge oil pump?)
    Try to start (only a few sec, no hose adapters)
    Check jet drive bearings

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Meat24014 View Post
    Ok, I just purchased my first ever jet ski. I got it for a ridiculous deal. I dont know anything about jet skis, but I am mechanically inclined and can figure out most problems I come across. I usually work on motorcycles so I have some speciality tools that should work. Ex carb sync tool and other odds and ends. Sorry in advance if I dont know the correct terms or things about water crafts as this is my first ever project like this.
    1995 Polaris sl650. When I first looked at it I noticed it has a clean hull. Looks ok for its age but there seems to be some problems. Everything seems to be there but Upon looking into the engine compartment I noticed the electrical box was open. The box that holds the cdi and the electrical connectors. Before I put a battery in it to make sure it's not locked up/ compression test. I wanted to make sure all the electrical pins are in the correct spot so I dont burn up the harness. But there seems to be some type of grease or old vaseline on the connectors. So much that I cant read the wire colors on the box. I think this is to help if water accidentally gets in? But not 100%. (I know its water proof and has a o-ring on the box). Can I clean the connectors and board with contact cleaner to remove the dirt/ grease and check to make sure everything is connected correctly? Also need advice on cleaning the oil and gas tanks. (One form said the tank cant come out of the front/ dry storage compartment). And it has bad gas. Right now I'm just trying to see if the thing Is worth saving. Also there are random hoses not connected laying in the hull that I'm going to have to trace back. Also there is another sl650 I'm picking up for parts tomorrow. So hopefully out of the 2 I can make one good one.
    Here is a list of everything I have planned for the next few days in order.
    Check electrical box to make sure everything is ok
    Install good battery
    Try to get it to turn over
    Compression test (make sure i dont have a burnt piston)
    Check spark
    Carb, fuel tank, oil tank cleaned
    (Purge oil pump?)
    Try to start (only a few sec, no hose adapters)
    Check jet drive bearings

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Do you have any photos.

Do you know how long the ski sat if it did.

So I would also try to pull the pulse line off the carbs and try to turn over a little to see if any thing comes out if the pulse line to make sure no water comes out of it.

The CDI should have some kind of grease here a pic from my current project on a 1993 polaris SL650.

If you don't know the Compresion in each cil if I'm correct should be close to 125 psi

The dual thank situation yes its alought easier to drop the oil tank and move it and then unbolt the gas tank and pull it from the front storage compartment I had to do it mine I will say I had to take the dash clutter off and remove the screws holding in the fresh air inlet to get it back far enough to pull the gas tank. When it comes to cleaning if you find a good way to clean let me know cuse my tank has 20 year old black clumped up gas in it and I can't get it cleaned up
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190418_214559.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	447975

Thank you both for the comments. I had no idea about the pulse line. (Hard to look up everything about jet skis in one day). And for the gas tank I figured I would do the same thing to it as I would a motorcycle tank for rust. Maybe put some gas in in and a certain numbers of new nuts. Shake and count the number of nuts that come out to make sure I dont loose any. And I think the last registration sticker is from 2013. I'm on my phone so I'm trying to to figure out how to post a pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190504_201346.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	447978  

+1
    Holy crap ! It almost got hit be a Corvair ! They truly are "unsafe at any speed".

Welcome to Green Hulk.

[QUOTE=casey67;3014648]Holy crap ! It almost got hit be a Corvair ! They truly are "unsafe at any speed".

Haha, yep. Factory turbo.
    But quick update. While battery is charging I hooked up the jump box. Hit start button. Nothing but the starter solenoid clicking. Not a big deal. I'll just pick up another one. Jumped starter solenoid and can hear starter engaging and humming. So I'm guessing the engine is locked up from sitting. Might poor marvel mystery oil or 2 stroke oil in the spark plug holes to see if I can get it to break free. Is there any way I can put a wrench on the crank and try to rock it back and forth to get it to break free? I dont really want to pull the engine out but beggars cant be choosers. Any advice? Maybe pull the top off the cylinders and see how they look?

Ok, took off cover from PTO shaft. Grabbed it by hand and started to rock the engine. It moves like 1/8 on an inch in both directions. Stuck a screwdriver in mag cyl. Moves up and down some. Stuck screwdriver in center cyl. Moves same length up and down. However when I put it in the PTO cylinder it doesnt move at all. So seems like there is a catastrophic problem. I'm guessing broken wrist pin, or connecting rod. Going to start pulling the engine and seeing what's the deal.

Ok, what a day. I'm kinda embarrassed about this post but better to share my experience for someone needing help. I removed the jet pump, gas tank, exhaust manifold, and exhaust, and removed the engine. When it was sitting on the hull I removed the fuel line from the bottom left of the block. (Pic attached) and it poured out gas. So I was thinking that it could have been hydro locked. I went to turn it over by hand and behold turns freely. Now pondering why could this be. A lightbulb went off in my head. Went to the jet pump and tried to turn the PTO shaft and what do you know. Frozen solid. So maybe it was a combination of both. I think I'm just going to clean everything while I have it out and clean and fix all the hoses. So far this is parts I need. Oil pump block off plate. Going to premix. Starter solenoid, new gas lines for carb, jet pump bearings, new style fuel pump, there are so many things that look wrong. One of the fuel lines by carb was blocked off. And hoses just laying in the bottom of the hull. Well time to buy some parts and see if I can get this thing running.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Meat24014 View Post
    ... Going to premix. ...
    Why?

http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....t-things-to-do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information