Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    +1
    If the ski is running you can fill the fuel rail with thinners and start the ski it will pump the thinners through and clean the injectors

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    My 12f was taken out of service when the fuel turned brown like that after filling up one winter. Filled up at a reputable station several miles inland with high turnover. Took out the pump, filter, regulator, and 3 injectors. 2 froze closed, one stuck open the first time I tried to fire it and flooded the cylinder. Never had an issue with fuel in the 5 years prior. The 4th "good" injector broke when I took it out of the fuel rail. I am working on a replacement canister for the fuel pump. Fits well, just not sure how it will hold up.

You can buy a parts store fuel pump for less than $50 bucks and cludge the wiring together or you can get a walbro and install kit that comes woth the plug and do it right.

I wouldnt run anything from that tank if possible though, the reg and filter are likely borked too. Not worth the risk to run lean and burn a motor up.

There is a guy in houston the does injector cleaning on a 1 day turnaround for like $12 bucks. I think its called injectorrx

Sean

Smokey, Steve, Grumpy and all you guys are the best. Heres the state of the tank...vid links. Used my shop vac to remove the sludge then followed your steps. Now I'm onto the injector system with Lacquer thinner as proposed. I took a few weeks off working on this for family stuff (RVing in river country!)

See pic below...I bought the Fuel Pump, Welbro GS342 as recommended here, (existing cage cleanup pretty well). Theres no instructions in this kit, I do see where i need to change the wiring connector so I bought a bunch of waterproof heatshrink to do that.

Theres a black rubber "boot" at the bottom of the pump housing, my last pump didnt have that, does that stay on and get installed in the tank? Or was that just shipping protection to be disposed?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190609_144303.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	449431  

+1
    Keep an eye on the pump holder, they come zinc chromate coated for corrosion resistance, since yours looks "naked" now it may rust quickly. It might be worth looking into fuel resistant coatings.

Sean

Yes good point, i will do that. The answer on the rubber "boot" is no. This pump wont fit in the cage with it on, its tight bare metal to metal. Its likely there to adapt or fit other make/model cage dimensions.

+1
    From oem its metal to metal with the little rubber boot/shoe on the bottom only. Not a big deal.

Sean

+1
    I built an injector cleaner a while back for LS engines. But you get the idea. Pretty easy to do.
    Here is a vid. Note this will not cure electrically failed injectors.

+1
    You used a ShopVac to remove the junk from the tank? Those things create sparks! Fuel vapors and sparks don't mix well together!

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    You used a ShopVac to remove the junk from the tank? Those things create sparks! Fuel vapors and sparks don't mix well together!
    Maybe he had a super long vacuum hose.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information