Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks for the clarification. Sounds about right they offer something but not what you are entitled to. To get that you have to take them to court not arbitration. Both parties are at risk and if you lose, mfg can try to recover their lawyer fees I believe! It is the principle for me as they are trying to get away with as many denials as possible to save money. I call it situational ethics. If it is few bucks sure no problem, if it is $50k, hell no!

I am paying entire repair out of pocket to fix my car while awaiting arbitration and they are making it as hard as possible for me. It has been 10 months.

I will offer my 2 Cents on this Post.

Over many many years I have owned all kinds of YAMs, KAWs, and Sea Doos, and I have never had any issues with a WARR Claim for any one of these PWC's that had traditional Bolt On parts like plates, grates, or air intakes.

I will also add that I have extremely good post ride practices in taking care of my PWC's! So in a WARR Claim situation it is very clear that the unit has not been abused and is well taken care of. JB

+1
    I’ll asked my Sedoo dealer when I was picking up my ski about warranty versus modding, and he said that as soon you tune Ecu warranty’s are voided.

+1
    And I didn’t have better luck with Yamaha either, I did blow engine in Yamaha snowmobile this winter. Sled was under warranty and it was modded, nothing crazy, intake , exhaust, clutch work and tune. I brought sled back to dealer it has no compression on middle cylinder, first thing that they said to me was that Yamaha want them to send Ecu back to them. And they refused to work on motor under warranty, I have paid for new motor on my own expense. So my advice for those who want to modify their machines and hope for warranty coverage is either keep stock or forget about warranty!

5. +1 by:

+1
    i don't think you guys understand the Act. Its only protects if you use non manufacture's parts. If you modify it different than what the manufactured designed yes they can deny coverarge. You add wheel spacers on car, even larger wheels, you add a after market intake that replaces the factory completely. On boats or PWC you add different propeller than what is spec it can be a issue, they can deny coverage.

All the law does is say if you replace a part not made by the manufacture but is identical in everyway they can't say that it caused the damage and they can't force you to use their parts for the warranty to be valid.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mario View Post
    So my advice for those who want to modify their machines and hope for warranty coverage is either keep stock or forget about warranty!
    Thats it people. If your worried about it then don't do it. This is a performance forum by the way, not a "oh no, if I peel a decal off of my ski it will void the warranty" forum. lol

Me I dont worry.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mario View Post
    I’ll asked my Sedoo dealer when I was picking up my ski about warranty versus modding, and he said that as soon you tune Ecu warranty’s are voided.
    No, what he's telling you is wrong. They cannot void your entire skis warranty. Just like in your below post.... yes if you tune the ECU and you damage the engine then they can absolutely decline warranty coverage on the motor and you are paying for repairs out of pocket. On the flip side of that, if you tune the ECU and your ski suffers some other failure, such as instrument cluster goes bad, steering breaks, sensor fails, etc. The ECU tune couldn't have caused that sort of problem, so they cannot decline warranty coverage on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario
    And I didn’t have better luck with Yamaha either, I did blow engine in Yamaha snowmobile this winter. Sled was under warranty and it was modded, nothing crazy, intake , exhaust, clutch work and tune. I brought sled back to dealer it has no compression on middle cylinder, first thing that they said to me was that Yamaha want them to send Ecu back to them. And they refused to work on motor under warranty, I have paid for new motor on my own expense. So my advice for those who want to modify their machines and hope for warranty coverage is either keep stock or forget about warranty!

+1
    This is always a hotly debated topic. I understand what Jerry is saying, I know what the law stages, and I also understand concerns others have about ruining warranties. My advice has always been this:

- Maintain a good relationship with you dealer.

- Better to use yamaha or industry recognized parts (I would include RIVA etc...)

- Be realistic and be prepare to educate the service manager. You want you machine fixed and the dealer wants the work. You will need to be on the same side to convince Yamaha.

- Understand that anyone who says “buy this and install it and it won’t void your warranty” won’t be the one standing next to you when the claim gets denied. They may help you learn how to educate the the warranty process (as Jim is doing in this post) but this is not the same as a guarantee.

Thanks for the reminder Jerry about the law.

I believe the mfg has to prove the mod cause the issue but when they deny 10 and only 2-3 fight it, it work in their favorite. You have to take them to court to force mfg to prove the damages is caused by the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by kazsak View Post
    I believe the mfg has to prove the mod cause the issue but when they deny 10 and only 2-3 fight it, it work in their favorite. You have to take them to court to force mfg to prove the damages is caused by the mod.
    Actually , it’s the other way around. They deny the warranty claim and you must take them to court and prove the reason they are denying claim is false. Guess what? $$$$$$

The MM act is great on paper but really more of a Marketing move than protection for consumer. (This of course is opinion)

This post reminds me so much of Tommyboy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information