Helmet advice needed!!

Hi everyone,

I have been riding jet skis for years now, nothing too crazy, but want to start getting in to wave jumping. I see lots of people online wearing helmets for this, and had a few questions.

1. If you fly off the jet ski going pretty fast, couldn't a helmet catch the water, and snap your head back? Or, do you usually ride slower when wearing a helmet?
    2. What is the main purpose of the helmet? I know it seems like a silly question , but is it mainly to protect your head from falling on to the jet ski when landing a jump? Or, the jet ski falling on your head? Or, mainly for contact with the water?
    3. If you think I need to start wearing a helmet, do you have any recommendations?
    Lastly, do any of you have any good "how to jump waves" guides that have worked well for you?

Thanks!!!!!

+1
    I wore a save phace when I raced so I could take a smack and not have my neck snapped if it caught at speed. Due to my eyes sucking and wearing extremely expensive prescription sunglasses, because my eyes suck, I wear a dye mask currently. I jet sealed the lens and it works great. Very breathable and keeps the nasty salt water off your glasses and out of your eyes.

Jumping waves. Make sure you know where the next wave is so you don't land on it wrong. Always come down back first. Start small so you understand what your ski and your riding style do when you jump then work your way up. Use your legs as suspension but don't be afraid to let your butt hit the seat kinda hard. The first multiple times you get decent air adrenaline will kick in and you might not fully understand what just happened. It's normal. Do not go at a wave WOT. Ease up to it and the gas it to launch it.

This is the mask I use

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeadooXP-96 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have been riding jet skis for years now, nothing too crazy, but want to start getting in to wave jumping. I see lots of people online wearing helmets for this, and had a few questions.

1. If you fly off the jet ski going pretty fast, couldn't a helmet catch the water, and snap your head back? Or, do you usually ride slower when wearing a helmet?
    2. What is the main purpose of the helmet? I know it seems like a silly question , but is it mainly to protect your head from falling on to the jet ski when landing a jump? Or, the jet ski falling on your head? Or, mainly for contact with the water?
    3. If you think I need to start wearing a helmet, do you have any recommendations?
    Lastly, do any of you have any good "how to jump waves" guides that have worked well for you?

Thanks!!!!!

I'll speak to jumping waves and riding in general. Start slow and build your skills over many...many...many hours. Don't get crazy and hit the biggest wave going as fast as you can. Learn to land the ski coming off a wave and when to hit a wave or abort take off. Be prepared to bail off your ski and push it away from you in things start to feel crazy. A lot of times people get hurt is because they won't abandon ship. Say you hit a wave and you just feel like the landing is going to be really bad...push the ski away from you. The worst thing IMO is to get caught up with ski tumbling around or landing in a real bad position...that's when your chances of getting hurt really go up. Stand up when you ride/jump waves. Your legs are the shocks. Sitting in the seat and landing hard is recipe for a back disaster. I actually know someone who broke his back doing this. Be prepared to be off your ski in the water and survive for the amount of time you think you may need to. Don't take for granted your ski will never sink or get away from you. Have your whistle on your person. People disappear real easy in the surf. Don't ride alone when riding in the ocean or pushing the limits.

These are excellent tips, thank you very much, imp0ster and DinoMite!!

I have two skis - an '04 Seadoo RXP (620 pounds, I think), and a '96 Seadoo XP (430 pounds, I think).

The '96 XP wants to jump out of the water at a moment's notice, and the RXP is much more stable.

Would either of you recommend starting with my heavier, more stable RXP?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    ... I wear a dye mask currently. I jet sealed the lens and it works great. Very breathable and keeps the nasty salt water off your glasses and out of your eyes.

Dye Precision I4 Thermal Paintball Goggle

Anti-Fog Thermal Lens
    Rapid Lens Change
    Horizon Peripheral Vision
    Tiger Teeth Strap Retention
    Compression Formed Ears

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    I wore a save phace when I raced so I could take a smack and not have my neck snapped if it caught at speed. Due to my eyes sucking and wearing extremely expensive prescription sunglasses, because my eyes suck, I wear a dye mask currently. I jet sealed the lens and it works great. Very breathable and keeps the nasty salt water off your glasses and out of your eyes.

Jumping waves. Make sure you know where the next wave is so you don't land on it wrong. Always come down back first. Start small so you understand what your ski and your riding style do when you jump then work your way up. Use your legs as suspension but don't be afraid to let your butt hit the seat kinda hard. The first multiple times you get decent air adrenaline will kick in and you might not fully understand what just happened. It's normal. Do not go at a wave WOT. Ease up to it and the gas it to launch it.

This is the mask I use

How are the lenses? Polarized? I have been combing through MX and Snowcross goggles for ages I am starting to go insane.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff24680 View Post
    How are the lenses? Polarized? I have been combing through MX and Snowcross goggles for ages I am starting to go insane.
    I don't think they are since my sunglasses are polarized and I can still see through them. There is some artifacting in the corners while looking through my sunglasses so there is some kind of coating but it's not bad at all. I swear by half masks.

Thread Information