Page 96 of 100 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TMiller View Post
    Have you pulled the fuel pickup out and inspected it? I had one with a cracked tube, they are old and brittle.
    I did and they both looked clean and in good condition.

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post
    I did and they both looked clean and in good condition.
    Its probably the internal seals then on the selector.

Sean

+1
    Bypass the fuel selector, hook the hose directly from the inline filter to the tank.

4. +1 by:

+1
    [QUOTE=beekermartin;3047061]I just got back from the water. It seems to be running great but I definitely have an issue with the fuel system. The fuel light came on so I switched to the reserve. It ran fine at first but it died after a few minutes. I was able to get it running again and got back to the dock. I took the seat off and sure enough there are a bunch of air bubbles in the fuel line. I gassed up and switched back to the main fuel position and there are still air bubbles. Needless to say I need to figure out what is going on with my fuel system. Can someone please explain how to test it again?

To test the fuel system, you disconnect a fuel line and cap the fitting, then hook your pressure tester to the disconnected line. You will have to put a hose pincher on the vent line to keep pressure from escaping through it. If you don't have a pincher, just disconnect the line and cap it. Pump to 5 psi and see if it holds pressure. If you are losing pressure then use soapy water to find the leak. That's the general description of how to do it.

Since all your fuel lines are hooked up right now, it would probably be easier to just disconnect the line to the check valve and hook your tester up to that line. If you want to isolate a component like the fuel selector, you could disconnect it, cap two of the fittings and hook up the tester to the last fitting. Then test the selector on each setting. If you wanted to, you could also use a vacuum tester on the selector valve since you are actually looking for a vacuum leak.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Its probably the internal seals then on the selector.

Sean
    When I had it off the ski I tried blowing compressed air through it in both positions and it seemed to work as it should. When set to on air only flowed out of the input and the on output. When set to reserve air only flowed through the input and the reserve output. When I tried to blow air through the output that was not selected no air would flow at all. Sealed tight it seemed. Maybe I am missing something or I checked it incorrectly???

[QUOTE=FL_Rider;3047091]
    I just got back from the water. It seems to be running great but I definitely have an issue with the fuel system. The fuel light came on so I switched to the reserve. It ran fine at first but it died after a few minutes. I was able to get it running again and got back to the dock. I took the seat off and sure enough there are a bunch of air bubbles in the fuel line. I gassed up and switched back to the main fuel position and there are still air bubbles. Needless to say I need to figure out what is going on with my fuel system. Can someone please explain how to test it again?

To test the fuel system, you disconnect a fuel line and cap the fitting, then hook your pressure tester to the disconnected line. You will have to put a hose pincher on the vent line to keep pressure from escaping through it. If you don't have a pincher, just disconnect the line and cap it. Pump to 5 psi and see if it holds pressure. If you are losing pressure then use soapy water to find the leak. That's the general description of how to do it.

Since all your fuel lines are hooked up right now, it would probably be easier to just disconnect the line to the check valve and hook your tester up to that line. If you want to isolate a component like the fuel selector, you could disconnect it, cap two of the fittings and hook up the tester to the last fitting. Then test the selector on each setting. If you wanted to, you could also use a vacuum tester on the selector valve since you are actually looking for a vacuum leak.
    I will try that. It is strange that the petcock seemed to test fine when I had it out of the ski but I didn't pressure test it so maybe that is the issue. I am disappointed that this is happening because that means my theory that the fuel pump was my issue is now debunked. There is definitely something else wrong in the fuel system. When set to the normal on position the air bubbles seemed to clear up. I haven't seen any since I have put some time on on the ski. I also haven't had any issues with stalling or lack of fuel hiccups. With it set to reserve it is obvious there is something wrong since the air bubbles are plentiful and the ski will stall, burb, hesitate, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Bypass the fuel selector, hook the hose directly from the inline filter to the tank.
    You mean to connect the reserve line to the fuel filter directly so I will still be able to use all the fuel in the tank if necessary but bypassing the petcock will eliminate that as the issue. That makes sense. The only issue of doing that will be when the light comes on for low fuel I will have to know that I need to get back to the dock ASAP since I won't have a reserve.

+1
    A vacuum pump will help you find the leak. Could have a pinhole somewhere. Pull the line off the fuel pump and plug it, then pull the on and res lines off the tank and apply vacuum to them one at a time with the selector valve in the appropriate position. It could even be the fuel pump, even though it's new. That can be carefully checked with a vacuum pump as well.

+1
    You mean to connect the reserve line to the fuel filter directly so I will still be able to use all the fuel in the tank if necessary but bypassing the petcock will eliminate that as the issue. That makes sense. The only issue of doing that will be when the light comes on for low fuel I will have to know that I need to get back to the dock ASAP since I won't have a reserve.
    Do that for test purposes to see if the fuel selector is leaking air. Don't leave it like that. If it's leaking air, fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Do that for test purposes to see if the fuel selector is leaking air. Don't leave it like that. If it's leaking air, fix it.
    I will only do it for test purposes.

If I remove the petcock valve and cap it off I should be able to pressure test it to see if it is leaking. I am planning on doing that while I have the reserve line connected directly to the fuel filter.

It is looking like this Sunday might be my last shot at a water test for the season. I am planning on connecting the reserve line from the tank directly to the fuel filter. I will then remove the petcock valve and test it out of the ski. Since this might be my last water test for the season that appears to be the best option for me. I have been working all week of course so I haven't had any time to test anything. Since the air bubbles only seem to appear when I switch to reserve I assume the petcock valve is the issue. This weekend tests should help me narrow down the issue. Plus I want to be able to give Impros a WOT run rpm number with the current stock beat up impeller installed. Granted I most likely won't be able to test the Impros/Solas impeller once I get it back until next spring but I don't want to leave my Solas impeller just sitting at Impros for the next 6 months. I imagine they don't want it there as well.

Page 96 of 100 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast

Thread Information